X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s and update from this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most of mine is eat down and dried out, I got some Sudan growing that is waist high. Then of course I got a stand of Johnson grass that is beautiful.

I got my grain drill fully functional now and planted some bird seed last weekend for a trial run. Works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        I do a modified version for my area and think it’s the best situation for Texas. I spray my fall plot (typically mid April)... this year with temps and moisture I sprayed early at first part of April. Allow to dry and die 14 days then drill and roll..... or broadcast and roll OR SHRED! Both have worked flawless. I spray because our rye, wheat, oats don’t get mature enough to “snap” and kill until mid May or later... that’s too late here. Up north it could be different.
        For fall plots I spray 2 weeks prior (minimum) to planting and typically have to roll and spray due to height to plants to get a kill. With army worms I now plant mid Oct- mid Nov (I think I planted Nov 11 this past year) when I have moisture to plant. With dead “thatch” I just broadcast seed.... and walk away... DONE

I wasn’t able to get anything planted for spring/summer and I’m wanting to go the spray, throw, and shred method. When doing that should I broadcast at a higher rate? I don’t want to over seed, but curious what seeds have worked best and if over seeding is needed with this method. I’m in SE Oklahoma btw.

Comment

Maybe moderate over seed. I’ll typically have 120ish ppa if ... 80-90 would have been enough drilled

Comment

Got another 2” last week on this plot. It’s blown over! It had quite a few pig weeds in it last time. Now the peas have climbed up the pig weeds and are covering them too!
            Attached Files

Comment

About time to move my camera higher

Comment

When do y’all mow strips in your dove plots? Mid August? We have a mix of millet milo and peredovik in several fields.

Comment

I mow my strips a few days before season and continue for a few weeks if Im out hunting .

Comment

Link to tpwd site on regulations on food plots for migratory birds . Lots of good info here and many different variables.

Comment

[ATTACH]1012677[/ATTACH]
                      Like a jungle

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                        About time to move my camera higher

That’s cheatin’ Logan, that pic is a month old ! And no, I’m not about to show my dried up pea vine/goat weed plots

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          That’s cheatin’ Logan, that pic is a month old ! And no, I’m not about to show my dried up pea vine/goat weed plots

She’s still green and doing well

Comment

Can’t remember last measurable rain. It’s so tall it fell over. The pig weeds I had got crushed down and grown over. Best tonnage I’ve ever had this late in the game
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              Can’t remember last measurable rain. It’s so tall it fell over. The pig weeds I had got crushed down and grown over. Best tonnage I’ve ever had this late in the game

I should have gone with cowpeas over soybeans this year.... none of the soybeans made it. I did have some cowpeas in there, but they didn’t make either. Only thing that came up on the main plot was safflower, sunn hemp, okra, flax, and a little buckwheat. Even the sunn hemp only made it to knee high. That stuff usually gets 6-8 feet tall, even in drought! I have decided that tillage and black gumbo soils don’t mix well. All tilling does is push the cocklebur germinate... as shown by my 50/50 Aeschynomene/Alyce Clover plot that turned into straight cocklebur. I even went in the last week of June and cut them out, only to have them over the top of my plot again 4 weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                I should have gone with cowpeas over soybeans this year.... none of the soybeans made it. I did have some cowpeas in there, but they didn’t make either. Only thing that came up on the main plot was safflower, sunn hemp, okra, flax, and a little buckwheat. Even the sunn hemp only made it to knee high. That stuff usually gets 6-8 feet tall, even in drought! I have decided that tillage and black gumbo soils don’t mix well. All tilling does is push the cocklebur germinate... as shown by my 50/50 Aeschynomene/Alyce Clover plot that turned into straight cocklebur. I even went in the last week of June and cut them out, only to have them over the top of my plot again 4 weeks later.

It would have not made any difference for me what I planted, by the end of May mine was done. Even Sunn Hemp died out.
                                Last edited by Radar; 08-10-2020, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X