Electrically challenged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrically challenged

Folks can I change a ballast safely by simply turning the light switch off? I’ve had a healthy respect for electricity ever since I was knocked unconscious while welding. Thanks in advance.

Yes, unless of course the switch breaks the neutral. Always check with a meter.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
      Yes, unless of course the switch breaks the neutral. Always check with a meter.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      I always make sure when I do this that my wife is no where around. Twice she has walked into the room when I was changing a light fixture and turned on the switch. She said it was an accident but I'm not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        I always make sure when I do this that my wife is no where around. Twice she has walked into the room when I was changing a light fixture and turned on the switch. She said it was an accident but I'm not so sure.
        Lol my brother did that to me as well. On another note, not sure If someone flipped a switch when I was working on changing a ballast or if it stored up some energy but I did get shocked changing one before.. I am not an electrician so I am not sure if they even store energy or what, just know it was a surprise haha
        Last edited by npe001; 09-21-2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

When I work on light fixtures I always put a piece of tape over the switch to make sure no one turns the switch on while I’m working on it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

That tool has gotten more people shocked than electricity it’s self.

Get a meter!

Comment

It saved my rookie butt twice in two days. I'll keep using it 'til it kills me. Maybe my wife can get rich off of the civil suit using some testimony from this thread.

Comment

So you can touch any wire and it lights up if it’s still hot?

Comment

Now I know why they put warning "Hot Contents" on coffee cups....

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      So you can touch any wire and it lights up if it’s still hot?
                      [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCmtTeXGzZk"]How To Use The Klein Tools NCVT-2 Non Contact Voltage Testers - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

If you are not sure---DON"T TOUCH IT!

Comment

Junk that fixture or convert it to led. No ballast needed ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            That tool has gotten more people shocked than electricity it’s self.

Get a meter!
                            FACT!

In the electrical business that is called a widow maker...

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              Junk that fixture or convert it to led. No ballast needed ever again.

Winner [emoji1377][emoji1377]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X