Brady TX Age Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brady TX Age Help

Looking for some help on the wide buck in these pictures. I do pretty well aging on the hoof, but at night on cam I’m not very confident. What say you brain trust on an age?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see anything over 4. The big one may be 5

Comment

I think the wide one comes in at 5. Hill country deer are definitely tougher.

Comment

Wide deer is probably 4 but maybe 5

Comment

I think 5 maybe even 6 he has a pretty good brisket.

Comment

He is at least 5 probably older.

Comment

I'd say at least 5, maybe older. If you have no history with him I'd let him roll another year. He'd be a great one to see what he does in another year or two. In the Brady area, we don't target them until 8 years of age. It makes a big difference. If letting him walk isn't in the cards, then good luck getting him and post pics!

Comment

I would say at least 5+ and very well feed

Comment

I can garauntee you they are older than you think. And if you kill one don't even consider tooth aging.. After hunting the same place west of Brady for 21 years I have found the only accurate way to age one is to have years of history through game camera pics.. Their bodies rarely show 5 or 6 and their teeth NEVER match up to the Bucks true age.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    I can garauntee you they are older than you think. And if you kill one don't even consider tooth aging.. After hunting the same place west of Brady for 21 years I have found the only accurate way to age one is to have years of history through game camera pics.. Their bodies rarely show 5 or 6 and their teeth NEVER match up to the Bucks true age.
                    Great post. I haven't been in the area nearly as long but have seen the same things. History tells the story and many don't ever exhibit the "textbook" age characteristics.

OP I think at least 5, but very likely older.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                      Great post. I haven't been in the area nearly as long but have seen the same things. History tells the story and many don't ever exhibit the "textbook" age characteristics.

OP I think at least 5, but very likely older.
                      Yes "textbook"'is a good way to put it... Not much "textbook" about the smaller bodied bucks.. Their teeth have always been a mystery. Some do actually wear "textbook" but most do not..
                      Every now and then we will have a new Buck show up with a much bigger body than our average bucks and he will be easier to age on the hoof. Over the years they have filtered in from time for time. Years ago I killed one . He was a 137" slick 7 point that dressed 168 lbs' and was 6+ years old by tooth. We have also killed a old, very mean, dominant, 4 point that was 90ish lbs. dressed that had teeth wore down to the jaw bone.. On the hoof he looked maybe 4 and that was mainly in his head features..

Comment

Ttaxidermy , its that way in east tx as well. Teeth are a trap shoot. Always show younger than History....

Comment

Thanks for all the input fellas!

Comment

He’s five +, I hunt in the Brady area and agree with the “forget what the teeth show post”. We KNOW the age and the teeth aren’t even close.

Comment

5.5, nice hill country buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X