Curious Covid hospital question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious Covid hospital question

Just a question for those of you who have been in the hospital or know someone who has been in the hospital with Covid and on oxygen. Did they have you or your loved one lay on their stomach they whole time?

They made my brother lay on his stomach to keep the pressure off his lungs. I thought that was strange because from the pictures I've seen of other relatives, they were not laying that way. Most continued to get more sick. My brother on the other hand was released after 12 days, which was a day earlier than the staff thought he would be.

Lots of reports that laying on the stomach has brought relief to Covid patients.

Comment

I was not in the hospital but my dr told me while lying down to try and lay on my stomach as much as possible

Comment

A quick google search says it helps get more oxygen in their lungs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          Just a question for those of you who have been in the hospital or know someone who has been in the hospital with Covid and on oxygen. Did they have you or your loved one lay on their stomach they whole time?

They made my brother lay on his stomach to keep the pressure off his lungs. I thought that was strange because from the pictures I've seen of other relatives, they were not laying that way. Most continued to get more sick. My brother on the other hand was released after 12 days, which was a day earlier than the staff thought he would be.

My mom was instructed to lay on her stomach. The way it was explained to her and us is that on your back compresses the aveoli(little sacs inside lungs where oxygen is infused into blood) and creates a good environment for fluid/infection to set in. On your stomach keeps those opened up, thus making it tougher for the fluid/infection to setup in there.

My mom was released in less than a week and she has a very severe lung condition that makes it to where she has to have weekly iv infusions. So, she’s major risk for Covid complications.

We figured it would be much longer stay for her. But, laying on her stomach, being very determined to do the breathing exercises, very close monitoring of he left oxygen levels prior to the hospital/going in as soon as they dropped, and monoclonal antibodies did the trick for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not the whole time but rotating into prone position on a schedule. Their oxygen sat usually jump up and they feel that it’s easier to breathe once they do. It’s a chore in the ICU to do it with incubated patients.

Comment

Yes they had my mother in law do this when she was there. She was in for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When you lay on your stomach you get full use expansion of your lungs. Basically once compromised with Covid it allows the greatest air flow/amount into lungs and doesn't cause additional pressure you get when on back.

Comment

Co-worker of my wife was on her stomach.....but she died.

Comment

Yes laying on your stomach helps relieve the pressure on the lungs. Some hospitals have a special bed that rotates. My brother was in one of them over a month a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Brought my wife home from the hospital this afternoon after being there for 2 weeks with covid. They wanted her to lay on her stomach some of the time but it made her cough really bad at first. It did finally start getting better but she spent more time on her back.

Comment

My mother in law was in the hospital several weeks before she passed away . She spent a few hours a day on her stomach and side . Dr said it was easier on her lungs to do this .

Comment

Having the patients lay prone helps aeration of the lungs and seems to work best early on. The current recommendation is as much as tolerated for up to 16 hours per day. You do have to shift their weight every 2 hours.

Comment

Working...
                          X