Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doves

Originally posted by texashunter View Post
    I know there are a lot of you around the state that have been hammering the doves, but my question is for those of us that aren't seeing many if any at all.
    Here is my situation, I hunt a spot outside of Temple that has a pond, that always has water, big open fields and plenty of trees to roost in. We are surrounded on three sides by fields that grown corn, these fields are always cut by the start of the season, and have plenty of corn left for them to snack on. I have been hunting this place almost for about 12 years. The first 7-8 years, the place was covered in birds the entire season. The last 4-5 it is like they have disappeared. You might shoot a limit for the whole season.

Just doesnt make sense, with the water, habitat and corn fields still there. The same has happened for our duck spot, which is about 15 miles from where we duck hunt. It is like the birds just left. Any thoughts as to why, or anyone else is the same situation?
    I have lived around Belton/Temple for almost 50 years and have never seen it like this. All summer there were tons of birds around my house and a few at the farm. Since Saturday I have seen 1 dove. I believe the freeze had some effect but it doesn’t explain this vanishing act.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      You want good hunting in Central Texas. Hunt on a city limits area. Beat shoots ive had have been in areas that are against some city. Seems birds get everything they want in neighborhoods
      I wonder if city-roosting white wings were less affected by the freeze for some reason. I hunted almost in the city limits and they were thick, mourners were very scarce. Usually that place is 50/50

Comment

I hate to say it, but first quail hunting got bad, then geese,duck hunting, and now dove. The freeze played it's part, but we just have too many people, To many developments. You cant fix that with shorter seasons or reduced bag limits.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
          Way too many variables

I’d bet the birds are around, just not utilizing your land for whatever reason.
          They is not many dove in central texas. 9 days of the high below 32 degrees and a low of -5 here. We did have several spring storms with high winds too.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
            They is not many dove in central texas. 9 days of the high below 32 degrees and a low of -5 here. We did have several spring storms with high winds too.

Does “central” Texas ever have that many birds?

Numbers seem to be normal here in New Braunfels. Mixed reports coming further south but that is typical IMO

Comment

Good point. Guess it depends on definition of central Tx.
              We had lots of mourners and white wings here in brown co last year
              And shooting all around the entire first week
              Very little this year

Sure was a lot of hunters in the area this week. It’s been a dry dusty week for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                The obvious thought is the big freeze in February killed a bunch of them that didn't make it as far south as some..
                This is the only thing came to my mind.

Comment

Agh they just decided to migrate to the West or maybe they are getting smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                    Way too many variables

I’d bet the birds are around, just not utilizing your land for whatever reason.
                    LOL, I can tell its not the same with my ears, it usually sounds like WW3 opening weekend of September, NOBODY IS SHOOTING!!! Crazyness never heard it like this for 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                      LOL, I can tell its not the same with my ears, it usually sounds like WW3 opening weekend of September, NOBODY IS SHOOTING!!! Crazyness never heard it like this for 30 years.

Maybe they were all shot Wednesday?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
                        TPW made a statement on the dove population being drastically affected by the freeze. Around my house/town we found dozens of frozen dove along fence rows. Crazy! I have never been In Weather cold enough to freeze anything alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy said he heard TPWD say 60% of resident birds hit by freeze. I can tell you that a field I hunt year after year that I usually shoot 5-6 boxes at was a two shot field on Friday-Saturday

Comment

I've hunted Throckmorton County since '91, never have not limited out the first 2-3 days of the season. I saw 3 birds Wednesday, 2 Thursday, put the shotgun up and night hunted pigs Friday and Saturday. Local GW and one from Baylor County stopped by Saturday morning as we were helping the rancher feed.

They said no one they stopped had a limit, best was 20 birds for a party of 6. We have the best volunteer sunflower crop ever, tanks are full, just no birds. Deer are looking healthy, so I'll take that.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                            My buddy said he heard TPWD say 60% of resident birds hit by freeze. I can tell you that a field I hunt year after year that I usually shoot 5-6 boxes at was a two shot field on Friday-Saturday
                            I can’t fully get on board with this. That freeze was mid/late feb, our resident birds that nest in spring and summer would have migrated well south at that time of year, right? Wouldn’t the birds here in Feb have been birds that migrated from the north?

And if that is right and we have a down year on resident birds, shouldn’t we expect a bad year all around as the migrators would have been the hardest hit with the freeze?

Comment

Usually limit every hunt last few years N of Abilene. Didn’t even shoot through a box of shells in 3 hunts this year. Very sparse and unlike any year I remember in the past 4-5 years. I heard the freeze got them good too

Comment

They are coming. They are still eating hi dollar corn enjoying the weather

Comment

Working...
                                X