Red River NM family trip, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve searched and reviewed some old threads but just in case someone has more info I’m asking again. Will be our first vacation trip to New Mexico. After some discussions and suggestions we narrowed to Red River NM. Just plan to stay 3-4 days, fish creeks, maybe ride some trails, sight see, enjoy some cool weather and relax. We would like to stay in a nicer rental cabin but plan to eat out most days except maybe a couple dinner meals. Will be 5 of us. I’m trying to decide if we should haul the 4010 mule up there or take two vehicles one being the Jeep.
    Any suggestions on the below??
    Place to stay
    Places to eat
    Places to fish
    Trails to drive (not too extreme since we are firstimers)
    Any other activities like ski lifts, zip lines, shows etc?
    Maybe a decent golf course?

Any other does or don’ts and what to takes for first timers.

Tagged, we are wanting to go as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

For fishing get with Doc Thompson's High Country Anglers and see if you can book a trip on their private water. It's worth it. Especially if you have new fly fishermen and women. Or kids. Shane and Doc do a great job with new anglers and their private waters are loaded with fish. My brother in law, nephew and son were all very new to fly fishing and we did a little trip up there last summer and fished with Doc. It was a great introduction for them and everyone caught lots of fish. https://www.flyfishnewmexico.com/

I've stayed in Red River and I have stayed in Taos. I like the dining and shopping options in Taos. I like the feel of Red River. It's not so far between them that you can't run to Taos for dinner, shopping, etc if you want something nicer than what RR has. I can give you some great places to eat in Taos if you want them. RR has a few places to eat and you won't have a hard time figuring it out. Nothing I had there was super good. It's touristy and expensive for what you get. But it'll work. Now in Taos you can get meals you'd drive back up there for.

There is a cool little micro brewery between Eagle Nest and Red River. Closer to Eagle Nest. Across Bobcat Pass from RR. They have good beer and a great view. Go in the evening and you can often see herds of elk out across the meadows while you sit and have a beer. I think it is called Comanche Creek Brewery. We ended our days of fishing with a few beers there and it was great. http://comanchecreekbrewingco.com/

There is a fish hatchery nearby that was pretty cool. We stopped in there and checked it out. Lots of big trout.

There are places in RR that do jeep tours. I have ridden the jeep trails in Colorado a bunch but have not checked the trails out in Red River. But there have to be some since they do tours. When my kids were smaller they went and tubed the ski slopes and LOVED it. They put mats down and they ride the lift up and tube down. Up at Bobcat Pass between RR and Eagle Nest there is a place they do horseback rides and stuff like that.

If you fish on your own go check out the Rio Costilla in the Valle Vidal which is about an hour north of Red River. It is beautiful and you can catch Rio Grande Cutts there. Worth the drive. I got there early the days I fished it and there were huge number of elk down in the meadows each morning. Lots of hungry fish though most are pretty small.

The Rio Grande Gorge bridge NW of Taos is worth doing. There is a little brewery, the Taos Mesa Brewery, on the road going to the bridge that has good beer and a pretty cool place to sit outside (or inside) and drink it and have a snack. https://www.taosmesabrewing.com/

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff. Plenty to do, very pretty and you'll have a good time. I wish I was going. We were supposed to go in July but Covid had it all shut down. Out of staters couldn't rent houses or cabins at that time.

Comment

This is based on a decade of pre COVID trips. I understand the town is open, but didn’t go this summer.

You won’t be bored on a 3-4 day trip. RR has a down home folksy feel. We always stayed in town at lifts west-‘so I can’t help with a cabin.

Coastal Ducks provided some great advice. We usually make at least one trip to Rio Costilla- absolutely beautiful. Cutts can be stupid easy to very difficult depending on the day. Scenery is fantastic.

The red river has abundant stocked rainbows in and downstream of town and below the fish hatchery at questa. Cabresto creek has browns- but can be tight casting.

Family loves a day on Eagle Nest reservoir in a pontoon boat. Options for northern pike, trout, and yellow perch. Also great scenery. Cimarron River has good fishing as well.

We do a Jeep or UTV rental every year. Rules change about which trails are open to rentals. Goose Lake trail is popular. We’ve hiked to the top of gold hill after the ride up. Greenie Peak and midnight meadows are cool too. I enjoy riding with the kids- not a hard core trail guy.

Taos is Taos. Understand it the most liberal place in NM before you go and you’ll be fine. Plenty of places for a good burger, decent NM Mexican food etc. Drive over to the gorge if you head to town.

For eats in RR- there is Sundance Mexican food. It’s ok, desert sopapillas are awesome. The brewery in town is relatively new and has been packed to the gills the last couple of summers. The pizza place is good for what it is. All other places are mostly average. Tx Reds is expensive for the food quality. But hey, it’s a tourist town.

Above all- soak it up. It will be mid 40 at daylight, 70’s in the afternoon, likely 60’s after an afternoon shower. People tend to be happy- and I few like I go back in time 30 years when I’m there. It’s a special place for my family and we made tons if great memories there.

We didn’t go this summer and COVID can suck 10 toes!

Feel free to PM if you have any questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by basschump; 07-26-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Some good info above. We just got back and just know there is no indoor eating at restaurants right now. Red River Brewing is a great spot with nice patio seating. We did the trail to Goose Lake and it’s pretty awesome up there. There is supposed to be a 14-day quarantine for out of state travelers but they are not enforcing in RR.

Have fun and enjoy the temperatures! Red River is one of my favorite places.

Comment

I would like a nice steakhouse or seafood place in either place for one night on the town.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
              I would like a nice steakhouse or seafood place in either place for one night on the town.
              I have a friend in Taos that knows good food. She suggests Lamberts and Medley. Check the prices before you go. I've been to Medley twice, it has a Taos vibe and the food was great. Both have outdoor seating.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                Lambert's of Taos was good and we had some really good steaks there.
                Everything we had was excellent. It's a little more upscale than most of what you'll find in RR.

We had some good ribeyes at The Gorge Bar and Grill in Taos as well. They had a pretty decent bourbon selection too.

Comment

Give this place a look. Working ranch with great fishing and lodging.
                  UU Bar Ranch

Comment

Near Midnight Meadows is a trail of old mines. You take the logging road that leads to the Greenie Peak trailhead but stay on the logging road. When it dead ends, turn right and you’ll drive quite a ways but you will find signs that will lead you to the old mines.

Comment

Bumping this up so I can find it later!! Might have a sitter for the FIL next summer and the wife and kids both said they want to go to the mountains! This looks drivable. Even with 2 gotta pee every half hour females in my family.

Comment

Originally posted by rileydog View Post
                        Near Midnight Meadows is a trail of old mines. You take the logging road that leads to the Greenie Peak trailhead but stay on the logging road. When it dead ends, turn right and you’ll drive quite a ways but you will find signs that will lead you to the old mines.
                        We elk hunted near midnight meadows this yr. I really enjoyed RedRiver when we took the trip but the best to enjoy will be if you have a good sxs atv. Take it, the rentals are pretty expensive.

Comment

Fish Eagle Nest Lake. Those pike are fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It's not a cabin, but if you're going to stay in town, I can't reccomend the Edelweiss Condos highly enough. They are very nice, centrally located in the middle of town, have a heated pool, and the folks who run them are fantastic.

Comment

Bringing this post back up. Thinking about going with my wife on a last minute trip the first week of Jan. Is it still fun that time of year? Have a CanAm I’d love to take on trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X