Could have treed her with my truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could have treed her with my truck

Last week I took a young couple on a bear hunt in the Navajo Nation, hunting with Carnivore's Calvin Redhouse. We didn't tree a bear on Monday but treed a couple Tuesday morning and Anthony decided to take a nice sow on the second tree. We had another morning to hunt and I had a lion tag and my hounds so we decided to see if we could find a lion track.
    I was driving a pretty well maintained dirt road when I see a large critter in my headlights. Shortly, I recognized it as a bear and informed my sleepy passengers. After running down the road, the bear crosses in front of me about 20 steps, running to a fair sized tree. When reaching the tree, the bear rears up on her hind legs and begins staring over her shoulder. All the passengers are scrambling for their cameras while she stands there, trying to figure out what we are. After 10-15 seconds, she decides that we are not much of a threat and drops to all four and disappears into the timber. There is no doubt that had I goosed the pickup, she would have climbed the tree and this would have been a first for me. The reason that I didn't make her climb was I thought her reared up on the tree was a cool photo, I have lots of photos and video of bears in trees.....
    Adios,
    Gary

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
    Last week I took a young couple on a bear hunt in the Navajo Nation, hunting with Carnivore's Calvin Redhouse. We didn't tree a bear on Monday but treed a couple Tuesday morning and Anthony decided to take a nice sow on the second tree. We had another morning to hunt and I had a lion tag and my hounds so we decided to see if we could find a lion track.
    I was driving a pretty well maintained dirt road when I see a large critter in my headlights. Shortly, I recognized it as a bear and informed my sleepy passengers. After running down the road, the bear crosses in front of me about 20 steps, running to a fair sized tree. When reaching the tree, the bear rears up on her hind legs and begins staring over her shoulder. All the passengers are scrambling for their cameras while she stands there, trying to figure out what we are. After 10-15 seconds, she decides that we are not much of a threat and drops to all four and disappears into the timber. There is no doubt that had I goosed the pickup, she would have climbed the tree and this would have been a first for me. The reason that I didn't make her climb was I thought her reared up on the tree was a cool photo, I have lots of photos and video of bears in trees.....
    Adios,
    Gary
    Nice, were you hunting out of AZ?

Comment

Right along the AZ/NM line just below the Four Corners.
      Lots of BEARS!!!! Really nice color phases.
      Adios,
      Gary

Comment

Should have goosed it!

Comment

Yea, now wishing that I had so that I could brag about the feat for the next 20 years...
          Adios,
          Gary

Comment

Working...
          X