Shooting light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting light

What time at daybreak do you feel like there is adequate light for a 20-40 yard bow shot right now?

This week on Lone Star Law....

Edit- OP from East TX. Definitely going to be on TV.

Comment

Just send it

Comment

Too many factors.
        How good are your eyes?
        Are you in the trees or in the open?

There's a legal shooting time for a reason though

Comment

Another factor to consider is are you facing into the sun or away, it will make a difference in the morning and evening.

For me, it's usually about 10 minutes after legal shooting light with a bow. That's shooting from a ground blind and slightly into the sun. I can shoot before that but it's very difficult to tell what I'm shooting at.

If the deer are coming too early, adjust the feeder to go off a few minutes later. Mine goes off at 0700 for bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post

LMAO I laughed a lot at this. Thank you, you made my day LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Too many factors start at legal shooting light and ask these questions.
              Can you see the target and everything behind it in case you are not successful? Can you make out the body of the deer to find the vitals and make a fatal shot on the target? If the answer is yes then you are good if no wait 30 seconds and ask these again. Of course find out this time and ask these questions prior to a deer walking out....lol

Comment

I usually cant see good enough to shoot at first legal light...but I am usually in trees. Also the same for the evening. If it gets to dark to see the target area, I ain't shooting.

I will say though, I have killed deer when I got down from the stand because I could not see, once I got to open trails was able to hide in trees and ambush deer on the trail.

Comment

Free, printable calendars with sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset and moon phase times for USA and other worldwide locations.

Comment

6:35am

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post

I guess I should clarify. I'm definitely talking about what time AFTER legal shooting time lol. I am about 18ft up in a tree in a wooded area with a feeder about 25yds from me in a small opening that gets some direct light. I was mainly curious how many folks felt comfortable enough or could see well enough to shoot during the first couple of minutes of legal shooting light. Personally, I usually can't see well enough to take a shot until about 10-15 minutes after it's legal light, depending on cloud cover.

Comment

Legal shooting time starts = when I can see. Legal shooting time stops = when I can’t see..

Comment

depends on how many lumens your spotlight is

Comment

whenever I can see my pins clearly, not much point before that.

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                              Legal shooting time starts = when I can see. Legal shooting time stops = when I can’t see..
                              And on the next, next episode of Lone Star Law..

It varies a lot... we talking rifle, compound, stickbow? What quality optics are we using? Have I had coffee yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X