Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aransas?

How did you guys end up?

SP, There were very few hunters this year, maybe an average of 150 the first two days, less than 100 the rest of the hunt. Sun evening on the last day they were a total of 9 bowhunters. I think not having the free camping along the roadway was one of the major factors for the number of hunters being off.

Deer were pretty slim pickings this year, 22 were taken and not one field dressed over 85lbs., there were only 12 hogs taken. Deer were moving mostly during the middle of the day what little they did move. Water was every where so hunting the water holes was pretty much a lost cause. Acorns were spotty in this year's burn areas but plentiful in other areas and the weather was hot and humid.

I saw a good number of deer this year but most sightings were not from a bow stand or anywhere close to bow range. I only had three yearlings inside bow range this year, passed on two and shot a runt 8" spike Sun morning the last day and felt **** lucky/proud. He was out about 150 yards working a scrape line and I was able to grunt him over for a 5 yard shot.

Missed two little hogs this year one low at 35yrds from the stand and one at 12 yards stalking, he was walking boardside but turned to look at me in the tall grass just as I shot.

Looking forward to next year!.......

Comment

Sounds like our hunt at Laguna Atascosa last year. We have a little more than a month to get read for our hunt down here.

Comment

Aransas Numbers

Here was the last photo I took before leaving there this year.

Comment

Wow those numbers are low! Maybe Ill look into this hunt next year.

Comment

I hunted there a few years back and the squitos were pretty bad. My uncle hunts there every year and went again this year. He goes way in the back section that's only open to bowhunters and closed for their rifle hunts. He sees plenty of game and has taken a few deer and hogs. On a scouting trip we ended up halfway lost and walked for what seemed miles. ended up wading through thigh to belly button deep water for about 3 hundred yards trying to make out way back out. Pretty spooky considering the size and number of the gators out there.

I'm planning on hunting it next year.. was going to this year but had my brother back out due to his med school rotation going from 5 days to six days and didn't want to go myself.

We got drawn on the rifle hunt several years ago too. It was alot of fun. We've been going there doing the tours since we were kids since our parents and grandparents had bayhouses in seadrift. We've seen alot of big deer.

Comment

i'm looking to go this year...is it still by draw or first come first served?? how does it work now

Comment

I went last year for the first time. I went with a few guys who have hunted there for the last 3 years and said this was the slowest they have seen it. Out of 5 guys we saw 3 does and no shots. But I am really looking foward to going back.

Comment

Whoa those numbers are low, I guess thats public land.

Comment

Working...
                  X