No announcement yet.

LBJ Grasslands 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone done any dove hunting out at LBJ? Last season I went to public land down near Greenville, but I am wanting to go out during the week before my 11:00 classes, and I can't get to Greenville and back before then. I am thinking of a few units that might be okay for dove, but I can't remember seeing any birds, but I wasn't looking for them either.

Comment

I've dove hunted all over LBJ, just like anywhere some years are better than others. Maybe try #20 Rhodes Lake.

Comment

I just got back from spending 10 hours out there scouting. I walked in a little over 2 miles in on one of the units and had a thunderstorm Pop up. It felt good at first but I got soaked from head to toe. It seemed like every time I found a decent spot I would look up and see a tree stand up in a tree. I walked pass a couple trail cameras out there too. Looks like that place is hunted hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
          I just got back from spending 10 hours out there scouting. I walked in a little over 2 miles in on one of the units and had a thunderstorm Pop up. It felt good at first but I got soaked from head to toe. It seemed like every time I found a decent spot I would look up and see a tree stand up in a tree. I walked pass a couple trail cameras out there too. Looks like that place is hunted hard!
          Yeah. Some of the units are like that. Some are less hunted. You just have to find the right units

Comment

Dang! Stands out already? Is there still a 72hr rule for stands? Does anyone know if there is any online maps for LBJ? Or do we still have to go to the office to get them.

Comment

After a long hiatus from deer hunting (partly due to a 6 year stint hunting bad guys for Uncle Sam, partly due to moves and having young kids) I'm getting back in the game this year. I'm hoping to get out to Bois D'Arc in the next week or two to do some scouting. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that it's hunted so hard, but Texas just doesn't have that much public land available for deer hunting. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                Dang! Stands out already? Is there still a 72hr rule for stands? Does anyone know if there is any online maps for LBJ? Or do we still have to go to the office to get them.
                Yeah that's the rule, but, you know....if you Google LBJ grasslands you can get a map, but going to the rangers office you can get a nice big map.

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
                  Yeah that's the rule, but, you know....if you Google LBJ grasslands you can get a map, but going to the rangers office you can get a nice big map.

Ok thank you

Comment

Ok thank you
                    I wasnt trying to be a smart alek either. That really is the best way. I kind of want to get out there some more. I have a lease in Arkansas, but sometimes you just want to get ouy and not have to drive 4 hours. I won't go on the weekends though, just during the week

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
                      I wasnt trying to be a smart alek either. That really is the best way. I kind of want to get out there some more. I have a lease in Arkansas, but sometimes you just want to get ouy and not have to drive 4 hours. I won't go on the weekends though, just during the week

Oh I know. I had never been able to find a good map online in the past years so I didn't know if any good ones had popped up. I'll pull into the office when I head up that way.

Comment

Wikipedia has the best map I have been able to find on the internet other than the one from the office but I haven't tried to print it out though

Comment

My legs are killing me this morning. I walked the perimeter of a few units, and got in to depths on a couple. I can tell you it was a lot of work for just walking around. But hey, If you want to find a decent spot there is no substitute to having your feet on the ground scouting. I can see where people are quite about spots they have found. I will say if your going you might want some snake chaps/boots and a lot of bug spray for ticks!!!!

Comment

Last edited by Slow&Steady; 08-15-2015, 09:27 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

Comment

If i see em, i give GPS coord and call it in, they will get picked up. Follow the rules is all i have to say.

Comment

My legs are killing me this morning. I walked the perimeter of a few units, and got in to depths on a couple. I can tell you it was a lot of work for just walking around. But hey, If you want to find a decent spot there is no substitute to having your feet on the ground scouting. I can see where people are quite about spots they have found. I will say if your going you might want some snake chaps/boots and a lot of bug spray for ticks!!!!
                                I got a few ticks out there last year and went and got checked for lime. Negative but i'm more careful now. Also, finding ticks is a good sign that deer are in the area, they dont hang around where there is nothing to jump on! I think a good tip lol

Comment

Working...
                                X