No announcement yet.

"Official" 2014-2015 Somerville Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I scouted out there a lot last year and didn't get to hunt. Things just didn't work out. I have not been able to scout this year. I have some spots I liked from last year, however I was looking for a good spot to put a pop up ground blind and not a tree stand. It seems everyone here is going to hunt up in the air. Is a ground blind a waste of time?

Comment

IMO, yes. Of course, I can't say any day in the woods has ever been a waste of time.

Those deer are just so darn smart and wary. And the ground blind keeps your scent low, which really makes it tough.

But you know, it only takes one deer to make one mistake, so I'd never say don't bother.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen.

Comment

What a great day in the woods!!! Things are looking good but the head high weeds is going to make for a tough shot

Yeah limb that day I was in a mission. I almost pulled it off to but I didn't think I could find him incr I had a arrow in him in the high water. My family was not to happy with me that day lol.

Comment

HaHa! That's what I was thinking too. Wish I could get a shredder in there and clean up some areas.

Comment

Guys, you're missing the point. Leave the ragweed. It keeps folks out of the good spots... (says the 6'4" guy)

Comment

HAHA that's true from what I have seen so far. No other foot prints in the areas I'm planning on hunting.

Comment

Sweet.

I'm telling ya, you don't have to go that far to get away from folks. I've been surprised how few other hunters I've seen over the years. It's as if everyone hunts within 100 yards of the roads, or they just stay on established trails, etc. Makes me wonder how many folks are afraid of the dark or the woods these days.

Comment

In fact, now that I think about it, I've never once had another hunter walk in on me when I was in my stand. I came across another hunter when I was blood-trailing a doe a couple years ago, but that was like 10:00 a.m.

But that's it. Guess I've been lucky. Every year, I think "this is the year" but so far it's just not happened.

Comment

I did some scouting this weekend and found also a lot of deer marks.. I even saw doe around 12pm. I have couple of spots selected, hopefully don't conflict with others!... by the way what is "etiquette" here? in other public hunting areas, people hang sings pointing to where they are hunting to not get disturbed (trinity nwr), is there such thing here or just claim your spot and hope nobody walks on you?... Happy hunting..

Comment

I've never seen a sign hung at S'ville, but I've seen miles of ribbon and reflective tacks in places. I suppose you could hang a sign if you wanted, so long as you go back and pick it up.

Personally, I'm not going to hang a sign and I don't put ribbon or tacks out of any kind. If someone stumbles across my spot while I'm there and they don't see me, I'm fine with them just moving on. I'm not going to say anything. And when I'm not there, I don't leave any trace that I am hunting in that area. In other words, if they figure it out on their own, good for them, but if not, I'm not going to help them.

John

Comment

I wouldn't hang a sign so people won't know your area but that's up to you.

I'd take Johns advice and try to be as invisible as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                            I scouted out there a lot last year and didn't get to hunt. Things just didn't work out. I have not been able to scout this year. I have some spots I liked from last year, however I was looking for a good spot to put a pop up ground blind and not a tree stand. It seems everyone here is going to hunt up in the air. Is a ground blind a waste of time?
                            I have a strong desire to hunt a popup in an area I scouted that was loaded with sign, because there is literally no tree around to hang a stand in. But I know it would be tuff so I'm still on the fence, I'm thinking I could brush it in good in the am and then go hunt a stand for a while, then come back to it in the evening. But really I think I'll just be grasping at "ragweed" ha ha. It'll be in the back of my mind though and I think if a guy was to use one it would probably be best to do so during the rut. Bucks will make mistakes then. Knowing that, if I can get a favorable wind and a lot of luck...maybe. Stranger things have happened.

On another note, Does that ragweed ever go away or do we just have to deal with it all season

Comment

Originally posted by Jäger View Post
                              I have a strong desire to hunt a popup in an area I scouted that was loaded with sign, because there is literally no tree around to hang a stand in. But I know it would be tuff so I'm still on the fence, I'm thinking I could brush it in good in the am and then go hunt a stand for a while, then come back to it in the evening. But really I think I'll just be grasping at "ragweed" ha ha. It'll be in the back of my mind though and I think if a guy was to use one it would probably be best to do so during the rut. Bucks will make mistakes then. Knowing that, if I can get a favorable wind and a lot of luck...maybe. Stranger things have happened.

On another note, Does that ragweed ever go away or do we just have to deal with it all season
                              I'd try it, couldn't hurt! I may be trying a pop-up in a couple places for the first time this year too.

Comment

The ragweed dies to brown and crunchy, but still stands up. It's actually easier to get through when it's green, until about January when it will finally start to fall over.

Comment

Working...
                                X