Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #51
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

My wife got the firehouse meatball.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #52
slayr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Downwind

Some people will arm chair quarterback anything.....
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #53
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
My wife got the firehouse meatball.

Got to give credit where due..... their meatball sammich is pretty good.

Glad you avoided a conflict

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #54
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
Road rage is a sum *****, trust me I know as I have a broken back, foot, and clavicle as a result of an instance exactly as you described. Iím glad everything worked out well for you.

Whereís this story?

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #55
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Whereís this story?

I posted a thread about the bad wreck I had back on Sept 6. Cliff notes version is some road rage was going on in the northbound lane of hwy 59, a guy brake checked another driver and that driver lost control of the car, came across the grass median, and hit me head on going 75mph. That resulted in a fatality for the other driver and I was life flighted to hospital with the injuries I mentioned.

canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #56
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
I posted a thread about the bad wreck I had back on Sept 6. Cliff notes version is some road rage was going on in the northbound lane of hwy 59, a guy brake checked another driver and that driver lost control of the car, came across the grass median, and hit me head on going 75mph. That resulted in a fatality for the other driver and I was life flighted to hospital with the injuries I mentioned.

Now that you mentioned it, I remember that. Glad youíre still here.

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #57
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Turkey bacon ranch is tough to beat there
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:37 PM   #58
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
I dont see where there was a conflict yet. He had made no recognition toward the aggressors actions in any way. As he stated, he was simply going where he had been intending to go 2 hrs before. In my opinion, by lifting his shirt before getting out of his vehicle, the OP was simply making his weapon more accessible should he need to defend himself, or his wife, against a threat from anyone. I dont think anyone should ever have to be intimidated into changing their lifestyle because someone else wants to be a jerk. By doing so we set precident for the courts to say we should.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
The conflict is the road rage.

Wonder what all the Doc Hollidayís on here would of done if they were seeing red like this road rager and saw the OP get out of his car with shirt pulled up over a gun. (Minus TBH Sticker and handi plates )
Bradical BH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #59
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical BH View Post

Wonder what all the Doc Hollidayís on here would of done if they were seeing red like this road rager and saw the OP get out of his car with shirt pulled up over a gun. (Minus TBH Sticker and handi plates )
So by not tucking tail and running, that makes you a Doc Holiday?

Looks like the OP actions made the road rage db re-think his vinegarness,
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #60
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
So by not tucking tail and running, that makes you a Doc Holiday?

Looks like the OP actions made the road rage db re-think his vinegarness,
Hardly.... Iím sure your a bad a dude. What you have done if in your opinion some guy was road raging on you and got out of his car with his shirt pulled over a gun? Tuck and run? The point Iím trying to make is introducing a gun to this situation could have pretty serious consequences. Pretty far stretch to infer my opinion as not defending yourself.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #61
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Hardly.... Iím sure your a bad a dude. What you have done if in your opinion some guy was road raging on you and got out of his car with his shirt pulled over a gun? Tuck and run? The point Iím trying to make is introducing a gun to this situation could have pretty serious consequences. Pretty far stretch to infer my opinion as not defending yourself.
We don't know if he even saw the open carry...facts from the OP are we know is we gotta guy ready to joust is now watching a car pull into a handicap spot & folks poor out. Only a true thug would get ramped up knowing he's gotta patsy.

Let's get real and admit the aggressive guy likely feels like an idiot seeing this unless a true DB...this has gotten way more complicated about the OC vs the scenario as it unfolded as told.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #62
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Brazoria co.

I see the same guy road raging people every day on my way to work. Some inbred looking dude in a 03-06 Chevy 2500. Looks like he weighs about 120 and lives in a single wide. Always riding peoples asses flying around them, brake checking them. Everyday I hope I see someone whoop his ***
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #63
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Pretty sure you're a timid girly man..........see how that works

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle Everything you stated is pure speculation.......and none if it happened according to the OP.

I'll defend myself and family if I can't get out of harms way. I'd rather confront a road rager than play into his plan. The OP did nothing wrong....you're opinion is just your opinion. He made a call and it worked out. End on discussion.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #64
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Quote:

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle Everything you stated is pure speculation.......and none if it happened according to the OP.

I'll defend myself and family if I can't get out of harms way. I'd rather confront a road rager than play into his plan. The OP did nothing wrong....you're opinion is just your opinion. He made a call and it worked out. End on discussion.
Very shallow. Thanks for the laughs.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #65
Calrob
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

Just curious, why put so much effort into this to put it on the internet?
Calrob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #66
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Very shallow. Thanks for the laughs.
I'm sure you're used to it.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #67
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
if I can't get out of harms way.
That’s the thing, in this scenario OP could have just kept driving and gotten away from the situation. I’d never allow my wife to be anywhere close to a potential threat if I could prevent it.

Trust me, I know first hand, after you use your firearm to protect yourself or if you’ve been in a gun fight you never want to be put in that situation again.

Everyone always thinks they’ll just “saddle on up and get western” with it. It isn’t like that...

Anyways OP, happy you were okay that’s all that matters.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #68
double bogey
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrob View Post
Just curious, why put so much effort into this to put it on the internet?
Me, just passing time posting the events of the day. Circumstances have prevented me from hunting much the last 3 years, so i hunt vicariously through others hunts here.

This whole thing worked the way it did because. If he wouldn't have cut through where my destination was i certainly wouldn't have posted about my dinner with a few members of the ham association of mesquite, or the idiot that honked at me on the way there.
I drove to the bank this afternoon and nobody brake checked, honked or cursed at me, but nobody wants to read about that.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:16 PM   #69
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:

I guess I need help in understanding where harms way was in the scenario?
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #70
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Thatís the thing, in this scenario OP could have just kept driving and gotten away from the situation. Iíd never allow my wife to be anywhere close to a potential threat if I could prevent it.

Trust me, I know first hand, after you use your firearm to protect yourself or if youíve been in a gun fight you never want to be put in that situation again.

Everyone always thinks theyíll just ďsaddle on up and get westernĒ with it. It isnít like that...

Anyways OP, happy you were okay thatís all that matters.
Maybe.....could have made to db even madder. There's a thousand different things that could have went down.......it's easy to armchair qb them. The OP made the best decision in his opinion at the time. No reason to beat him up for that.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #71
rolylane6
Four Point

Quote:
No, it's not. It's an idiot driving his car like a jerk. Until confronted he's being an idiot in his own car and there is no conflict. The OP, according to his account of the situation, never acknowledged the guy in any way. Can't be a conflict if there's only one person involved. He went where he intended to go all along and didn't let a jerks behavior have an impact on his life. He carried a firearm like he probably always does to protect himself against ALL the idiots out there, not just this guy. Just because this guy was already being a jerk shouldn't keep him from carrying his protection, like he probably always does, against another idiot that might come walking into the restaurant and open fire or any other situation that might arise.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #72
Twangshot
Nubbin' Buck

Sounds like you handled it appropriately. Glad nothing came of it. Lots of guys have stones that are only attached to their steering wheels.
Twangshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #73
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
Maybe.....could have made to db even madder. There's a thousand different things that could have went down.......it's easy to armchair qb them. The OP made the best decision in his opinion at the time. No reason to beat him up for that.
Not beating him up, more like debriefing.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #74
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not beating him up, more like debriefing.
Wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Hindsight > wtshtf
Old 10-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #75
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Trust me, I know first hand, after you use your firearm to protect yourself or if youíve been in a gun fight you never want to be put in that situation again.
I'd like to hear a quick overview of that!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #76
Twipper333
Six Point

Hunt In: Ballinger, Valera, wherever I can.

I carry a loaded gun every day of the week and have only felt the need to pull it out once ever when some jack wagon who was road raging me followed me into a home depot parking lot and almost hit the front end of my truck after I had parked, he got out and started yelling at me...in that moment I remembered the de-escalation training I have had and just sat there waiting to see what happened next. He said his peace and when he saw I wasnít going to engage him, he got in his truck and sped off, I reinserted my pistol into its holster and got out and went into the store.

More often than not, in my opinion and experience, people that let people know they have a firearm at the ready are typically not the folks that are trying to de-escalate any situation.

Twipper333 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #77
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

This Jack Wagon fellow everyone talks about seems to cause a lot of ****. I'd steer clear of that guy.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #78
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twipper333 View Post
I carry a loaded gun every day of the week and have only felt the need to pull it out once ever when some jack wagon who was road raging me followed me into a home depot parking lot and almost hit the front end of my truck after I had parked, he got out and started yelling at me...in that moment I remembered the de-escalation training I have had and just sat there waiting to see what happened next. He said his peace and when he saw I wasnít going to engage him, he got in his truck and sped off, I reinserted my pistol into its holster and got out and went into the store.

More often than not, in my opinion and experience, people that let people know they have a firearm at the ready are typically not the folks that are trying to de-escalate any situation.

Very Well Said. Best Advice Posted
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #79
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:

If he had walked up to your window, would you have tried to conceal your handgun to help de-escalate the situation?

Last edited by Traildust; 10-16-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:43 PM   #80
Twipper333
Six Point

Quote:
If he had walked up to your window, would you have tried to conceal your handgun to help de-escalate the situation?

I canít say because thankfully he said his peace and walked away...thinking back there were a bunch of ways that could have played out, most of them would have ended badly for him, me or both of us. I could have just put my truck in drive once he was out of his and drove away, but in that moment I kind of froze and just had my hand on my gun waiting for whatever may happen next.

Too many times recently I see more and more people rationalizing the use of lethal force in instances where had they just made the choice to de-escalate, everything would have worked out. Too often people think that once they have been provoked or antagonized by another, they feel empowered and justified in their use or display of force claiming self-defense. Youíre not defending yourself by showing your gun in a situation where someone else is just running their mouth.

I always like the feeling of having my gun but not needing it and also not showing all of my cards until absolutely necessary. If you come at me with words, even if youíre threatening me verbally, my first reaction isnít to go pull my gun out or show you I have it, I am going to try to talk my way out of it or walk away before I try to prove that Iím bigger or badder because Iím carrying.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #81
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
I canít say because thankfully he said his peace and walked away...thinking back there were a bunch of ways that could have played out, most of them would have ended badly for him, me or both of us. I could have just put my truck in drive once he was out of his and drove away, but in that moment I kind of froze and just had my hand on my gun waiting for whatever may happen next.

Too many times recently I see more and more people rationalizing the use of lethal force in instances where had they just made the choice to de-escalate, everything would have worked out. Too often people think that once they have been provoked or antagonized by another, they feel empowered and justified in their use or display of force claiming self-defense. Youíre not defending yourself by showing your gun in a situation where someone else is just running their mouth.

I always like the feeling of having my gun but not needing it and also not showing all of my cards until absolutely necessary. If you come at me with words, even if youíre threatening me verbally, my first reaction isnít to go pull my gun out or show you I have it, I am going to try to talk my way out of it or walk away before I try to prove that Iím bigger or badder because Iím carrying.

Well said. There are some that will argue that the OP did nothing wrong until the cows come home. I'm a firm believer that although everyone should have the right to bear arms not everyone has the ability.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:14 AM   #82
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:

The OP stated he was in pretty bad health and probably couldn't defend himself against an 8th grader. The last thing he wanted was a one sided physical altercation. Now you can call it whatever you want.....but letting the db know he wasn't gonna be a victim.....is exactly what ltc was made for.

We don't know if the db saw the open carry......but regardless, it worked out for the OP.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #83
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
Well said. There are some that will argue that the OP did nothing wrong until the cows come home. I'm a firm believer that although everyone should have the right to bear arms not everyone has the ability.

What exactly did he do wrong again? Are you intimidated when you see someone open carrying?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:35 AM   #84
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
What exactly did he do wrong again? Are you intimidated when you see someone open carrying?
No I'm not intimidated by open carry.
I don't understand the need to but that's your own personal choice.
What he did wrong :
1)Expose his weapon to intimidate.

2) Come on a public forum and post about #1.

If it happen again tomorrow and he shoots someone he's going to have a hard time trying to prove selfdefence because the things he did wrong today that are now public knowledge.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #85
double bogey
Ten Point

Yes, what did i do wrong? What would the difference have been if i open carried all the time?
I must say, if it happens tomorrow, i would most likely do the same thing. But you cannot really say what you may do. Any one encounter will most likely be different from another.
i am going to the rifle range tomorrow, so i wont be carrying, but will have one in the console.

I probably would have done something different if any of the gandkids would have been in the car. My wife wanted to call the police, but i said not to, as i didn't think it would escalate, as i felt he would get the message, and they wouldn't get there in time to do anything. If it escalated they would come anyway, but there is something to be said about being the one to call.

I appreciate all of the replies, that was what i was hoping for, lots of discussion on this subject. That is what is so great about this forum.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:59 AM   #86
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
No I'm not intimidated by open carry.
I don't understand the need to but that's your own personal choice.
What he did wrong :
1)Expose his weapon to intimidate.

2) Come on a public forum and post about #1.

If it happen again tomorrow and he shoots someone he's going to have a hard time trying to prove selfdefence because the things he did wrong today that are now public knowledge.

I think you have the OP confused for the road rage guy???? The OP was the non-aggressor. He wasn't yelling and screaming, flipping people off, brake checking and driving recklessly. OP pulled his shirt up to have quick access to it if needed......because some assclown was about to attack him and his wife.

He never made eye contact with the guy once he parked and went to eat with his friends. How the hail is the non-aggressor being intimidating?

Sorry you can't understand that.

Last edited by Traildust; 10-17-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:32 AM   #87
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Quote:
I think you have the OP confused for the road rage guy???? The OP was the non-aggressor. He wasn't yelling and screaming, flipping people off, brake checking and driving recklessly. OP pulled his shirt up to have quick access to it if needed......because some assclown was about to attack him and his wife.

He never made eye contact with the guy once he parked and went to eat with his friends. How the hail is the non-aggressor being intimidating?

Sorry you can't understand that.
Since You feel the Need to Defend His Action On every Post Please Enlighten us The Difference Between The Dumb***** That Started The Road Rage and The Defendant Walking Amongst innocent Bystanders Displaying a Weapon of Force to a Person That is Being irresponsible up until that Point. Every Action Has a Reaction. If the Bad Guy Decided To 1 up him again and Pulled his weapon Then What? Someone Out Buying A sandwich is Shot in a Cross Fire for What Reason? O Because The OP didn't Back Down Due to His Choice to Be able to Carry A Weapon. At what Point Does The Road rage Not Become Road Rage anymore? Once you Introduce others Into a Situation they had no involvement in it is Now Your responsibility To Have made the right Decision. Now Put your wife and Kids Sitting Behind Him eating Their Favorite Sub With No Clue What They could have been Involved In.
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 01:48 AM   #88
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
Since You feel the Need to Defend His Action On every Post Please Enlighten us The Difference Between The Dumb***** That Started The Road Rage and The Defendant Walking Amongst innocent Bystanders Displaying a Weapon of Force to a Person That is Being irresponsible up until that Point. Every Action Has a Reaction. If the Bad Guy Decided To 1 up him again and Pulled his weapon Then What? Someone Out Buying A sandwich is Shot in a Cross Fire for What Reason? O Because The OP didn't Back Down Due to His Choice to Be able to Carry A Weapon. At what Point Does The Road rage Not Become Road Rage anymore? Once you Introduce others Into a Situation they had no involvement in it is Now Your responsibility To Have made the right Decision. Now Put your wife and Kids Sitting Behind Him eating Their Favorite Sub With No Clue What They could have been Involved In.
LOL!
You my friend are absolutely right. The OP is the bad guy and the road rage guy deserves an apology.

OP, just leave that weapon at home and take that arsewhoopin or death. You selfish bastage!

None of your make believe scenario happened.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:52 AM   #89
double bogey
Ten Point

According to that one should never stand up for oneself or defend ones self due to what if. No thank you, i will live my life as a free man. When you make the decision to carry a firearm, you make the decision to protect your self and your family. If you are going to run away from every body that honks at you, then you shouldn't be carrying anyway. No need to carry if you are always going to run away. go out and buy yourself some running shoes.

Since we are talking about what ifs, what if he never honked at me?
Old 10-17-2019, 04:18 AM   #90
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Quote:
.......I'm a firm believer that although everyone should have the right to bear arms not everyone has the ability.

After reading all the posts on this thread, this comment seems the most appropriate.
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #91
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Quote:
Road rage is a sum *****, trust me I know as I have a broken back, foot, and clavicle as a result of an instance exactly as you described. Iím glad everything worked out well for you.

Any chance you slammed into a concrete median wall just coming into Denton some years ago? The injuries sound exactly like what happened to the guy that attempted, but failed to pass me on the left, while Iím in the left lane.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #92
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Any chance you slammed into a concrete median wall just coming into Denton some years ago? The injuries sound exactly like what happened to the guy that attempted, but failed to pass me on the left, while Iím in the left lane.
No read six post down.
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #93
Trevor73402
Eight Point

I truly can’t believe some of the responses from some folks on here. Jesus.....this is a Texas based hunting forum. I’d expect a lil more, for lack of a better term, “balls” from people on here. I guess TrailDust, Double Bogey, and myself are truly the minority these days. I guess some of you will have to let the bad guy shoot you once or twice before you let go of the fear of “getting in trouble” for defending yourself. I honestly don’t see how some folks even have the nerve to back out of their own driveway in the morning.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #94
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post
What sandwich did you order?

The Gunslinger Deluxe.

I'm not one to tell anyone how to handle their business, but I can speak for myself. I'm not wasting my time trying to Chuck Norris anybody. I have family, responsibilities, and I like being healthy and alive. There is always someone out there who doesn't give a ****, who doesn't mind making a dip**** decision that can affect many lives. I'd rather take that out of the equation. I'm not letting some crazy, tightly wound jackhole run on his script. People fancy themselves a bad arse, but there is always a bigger one out there with a lot less to lose. Just my opinion and only speaking as to my views. Everyone is different.

Last edited by Graysonhogs; 10-17-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #95
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
I truly canít believe some of the responses from some folks on here. Jesus.....this is a Texas based hunting forum. Iíd expect a lil more, for lack of a better term, ďballsĒ from people on here. I guess TrailDust, Double Bogey, and myself are truly the minority these days. I guess some of you will have to let the bad guy shoot you once or twice before you let go of the fear of ďgetting in troubleĒ for defending yourself. I honestly donít see how some folks even have the nerve to back out of their own driveway in the morning.
It doesn't take balls to apply sound judgment.

Quote:
According to that one should never stand up for oneself or defend ones self due to what if. No thank you, i will live my life as a free man. When you make the decision to carry a firearm, you make the decision to protect your self and your family.
I don't think anyone has said to coward down. No one has implied anything that takes away any freedoms from anybody. You are free to make as many bad decisions as the next guy. Lord knows we've all made our fair share of bad decisions.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #96
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Quote:

No not me....

canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #97
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I canít even fathom how someone can actually want to fight over road rage. The entirety of it just boggles my mind. Fighting or causing physical harm to someone just is NEVER present. Some people need to calm down.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #98
Twipper333
Six Point

Default Aborted road rage incident

Quote:
Yes, what did i do wrong? What would the difference have been if i open carried all the time?
I must say, if it happens tomorrow, i would most likely do the same thing. But you cannot really say what you may do. Any one encounter will most likely be different from another.
i am going to the rifle range tomorrow, so i wont be carrying, but will have one in the console.

I probably would have done something different if any of the gandkids would have been in the car. My wife wanted to call the police, but i said not to, as i didn't think it would escalate, as i felt he would get the message, and they wouldn't get there in time to do anything. If it escalated they would come anyway, but there is something to be said about being the one to call.

I appreciate all of the replies, that was what i was hoping for, lots of discussion on this subject. That is what is so great about this forum.

You saying things like ďI figured he would get the message...Ē sure sounds like intimidation to me. Why would you need to send him a message if you were trying to walk away and de-escalate the situation. What if he didnít ďget the messageĒ you were trying to send and instead saw your gesture as a sign of intimidation and aggression and pulled on you? Would you have thought your choice to ďsend a messageĒ was the right thing to do then? You just put you and your wifeís life in danger unnecessarily at that point. My opinion is never show my cards to ďsend any sort of messageĒ. Your words tend to prove more of my point that people that open carry/show they are carrying already have an axe to grind and have some sort of inferiority complex they are dealing with.

In Mesquite, TX, in todayís time, Iím glad this situation worked out for you. I know too many timeís there that the opposite has happened!

Last edited by Twipper333; 10-17-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #99
Twipper333
Six Point

Default Aborted road rage incident

OP you also just sort of painted yourself into a corner when you said your wife wanted to call the police and you wouldnít have done what you did had your grandkids been in the car.

If the situation was bad enough to call the police in your wifeís eyes and you admitted that you wouldnít have done what you did if your grandkids were in the car, sure sounds like you took matters into your own hands because you had to prove that you werenít going to back down if the DB brought the fight to you.

This is the exact opposite of de-escalating a situation. Just because you de-escalate a situation doesnít make you a p@$&y, it doesnít show that you are a coward, it shows that you have more to live for than the other guy and youíre more mature and can live to fight another day.

The more I read of your situation the more I believe you had something to prove to the DB that was raging on you. The whole thing just could have gone horribly wrong in a split second because you chose to ďsend a message!Ē

If it were me, I would have chosen to use the heroics at a time when they were actually needed.

Last edited by Twipper333; 10-17-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #100
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Everyone gets stressed in their personal lives and tend to take it out on the road. Traffic does that. When I realize how angry I am while driving I know I'm stressed then I ask myself why. By the time I answer that question I am much more calm.

I'm glad this guy pulled over because that few minutes to pause may have saved his own life and kept him from doing something stupid. Maybe he knew that, too.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top