Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can
Default Aborted road rage incident

The wife and I were driving to meet with a few members of the local ham radio club, like some Tuesdays a few meet at random local restaurants for an after
"net' meal.
After turning right on I635 service road and about the point I am in front of N. Mesquite high sch. I hear someone honking. I an in the far right lane doing about 35mph, and I see a car in my rear view pull out from behind me and fly around me giving me all sorts of hand signals, and pulling in front of me and brake checking. I pretty much lust ignore it while keeping an eye on him. We pull up to the next red light and it is backed up, so he pulls into the parking lot. I assume since he was in such a hurry that he was cutting through to avoid the red light. Well, that was the parking lot where my destination was at, the local Firehouse subs. So I pull in behind him and follow him as there were no parking spots next to the sub shop. He takes 2 tries to get in a parking spot and I drop in to the end space which is a handicap space. The wife is worried and asking me what I am going to do, and I told her "nothing, we are going to eat". So I pull my shirt out from my concealed pistol, making it plainly visible, and we get out of the car and walk over to the entrance where a couple of friends are eating outside, and talk to them for a minute. After about 45 seconds he pulls out of the parking spot and goes around the building the opposite way we are standing at. When we got out of our car, I didn't even look his way, but kept his car in my peripheral vision.

Now, I have no idea his intent when he parked in the parking lot. But on a couple of occasions in my life when I have gotten out of my wife's car guys that were running their mouths have calmed down some. I am not sure why as I am not a big guy, but not small either, as I was 6 ft before the back surgery I had this spring, seems I am nearly an inch and a half shorter now, and I weigh 210 lbs.

Now, why are people so rude, and in such a big hurry while driving. I try to overlook the stupid things people do, and don't honk at them when they do them.
I understand that you are very important and I should just pull over and get out of your way (insert sarcasm emoji here), and I would never initiate a confrontation with someone on the road. But, I am partially disabled and I don't want to take any crap from anybody either.

Anyway, I hope I handled this the best way I could without running away, but also not escalating the situation.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Sweet
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Man that could have gotten really ugly, good thing it didn't but would it really be worth it just to go to the restaurant you wanted to?
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I see this a lot. People are WOUND too tight. So many get behind the wheel and become 7' tall and bulletproof! And I'm including some women!

No TBH sticker, right? Just making sure as I'm convinced we have a few of those types on here from time to time. They post on the driving threads.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
TxSon1836
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

i think you played it perfectly. on the Defense is all you did and should do. like you said you let him know without words you were legally carrying so there is not interpitation for a "threat" being said. you never looked at him directly which cut out any chance of you "staring" him down. but you kept an eye on him so that if self defense was needed you were ready. i would have done it the same way.
TxSon1836 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback View Post
I see this a lot. People are WOUND too tight. So many get behind the wheel and become 7' tall and bulletproof! And I'm including some women!
Yup, I almost wish we could have concentr...I mean re-education camps for folks who act like that. lol
Old 10-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

So getting Out of your car with your Pistol Exposed was the Right Thing to Do at that Point?
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
So getting Out of your car with your Pistol Exposed was the Right Thing to Do at that Point?
Is it not? What is the problem?
Dirtymike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
Sometimes (almost always) the best thing to do is to just keep on movin' on...
Old 10-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

You did good. Always handle things professionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
Is it not? What is the problem?
Perfectly legal as well.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #12
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Did that guy act like that with your disabled tags visible?? If so...wow.

If you hang it up & not on your plates whenever you park, then him seeing you pull into disabled parking likely de-escalated it some...if he was half a decent person anyway.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #13
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
Do you mean that the OP should not have went to the eating location of his choice just because there could have been an altercation with the road rage driver?
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Do you mean that the OP should not have went to the eating location of his choice just because there could have been an altercation with the road rage driver?
In this situation, moving on would have been the choice with the least likelihood of an outcome that would have been very much not in his best interest.

All's well that ends well though, although this could have ended up very bad for everyone involved, and could have been spun very, very bad for the OP if the situation had escalated.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #15
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: My backyard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback View Post

No TBH sticker, right? Just making sure as I'm convinced we have a few of those types on here from time to time. They post on the driving threads.
And you would be correct on all accounts, sir.
Olphart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #16
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Did that guy act like that with your disabled tags visible?? If so...wow.

If you hang it up & not on your plates whenever you park, then him seeing you pull into disabled parking likely de-escalated it some...if he was half a decent person anyway.

You think disabled people should be treated differently?

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #17
double bogey
Ten Point

I don't see that I have to change my plans because someone else has a problem. When we turned into the parking lot I could tell he got real concerned, as he kept his eye on the rear view. Also him having to make 2 attempts to get in a parking space told me he was very nervous, so ignoring him was the correct thing to do. I could be totally wrong, he may have intended to go in that lot to park and make a very important phone call. I couldn't tell as I didn't look directly at him, but would have seen if he exited his car, and we had cover as we walked if front of the cars on our side of the parking lot.

I have decided to make it a point to monitor my driving to make sure I am still driving safely as it seems like I am in other peoples way a lot. I don't believe I have gotten into the old fart mode just yet. I know people in the metroplex here drive like maniacs to and from work, but I don't care if you are late, you should have started earlier and accounted for traffic.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #18
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter90 View Post
Perfectly legal as well.
Legal but not the smartest play. It could be seen as looking for a conflict.
That's just my opinion.
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #19
double bogey
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post

I don't know about Artos, but I feel like you are in some deep crap if you have a physical altercation with someone who is disabled.

That being said, my disability isn't readily visible, but most boys 8th grade and up could probably take me at this point. Multiple back surgeries and cancer have taken their toll.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #20
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
I disagree based on experience. Some enjoy the thrill of bulling, when you keep movin on they follow except with more confidence.

Sometimes nipping it in the bud is the best thing to do.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #21
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
Legal but not the smartest play. It could be seen as looking for a conflict.
That's just my opinion.
He was not looking at the guy tapping his finger on the pistol smiling at him. He just went on about his business not even making eye contact.

So anyone open carry is now looking for a conflict?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #22
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
I don't know about Artos, but I feel like you are in some deep crap if you have a physical altercation with someone who is disabled.

That being said, my disability isn't readily visible, but most boys 8th grade and up could probably take me at this point. Multiple back surgeries and cancer have taken their toll.

Iím not talking about physically assaulting someone.

If you are acting like a jackwagon, then you should be treated like a jackwagon. Not like a disabled jackwagon.

Not describing you in anyway.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #23
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Due to someone getting road rage...absolutely!! Yeah, I get irked if someone drives like crap, but 99% of those that have done it to me with handicap stickers are the elderly & Not a 6' 200lb gun packing male.

If I see a handicap sticker pull out it front, bad lane change or whatever, I'm not gonna get all bent outta shape cuz I'll be there someday too. Geez, let's brake check the handicap to keep things equal.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #24
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
So I pull my shirt out from my concealed pistol, making it plainly visible, and we get out of the car and walk over to the entrance
Sounds like brandishing aka "disorderly conduct" in Texas.

Last edited by yotethumper; 10-16-2019 at 05:34 PM.
yotethumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #25
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Sounds like brandishing
You got to watch that rowdy Ham radio crowd.

Last edited by Hoggslayer; 10-16-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #26
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Default Aborted road rage incident

Quote:
Due to someone getting road rage...absolutely!! Yeah, I get irked if someone drives like crap, but 99% of those that have done it to me with handicap stickers are the elderly & Not a 6' 200lb gun packing male.

If I see a handicap sticker pull out it front, bad lane change or whatever, I'm not gonna get all bent outta shape cuz I'll be there someday too. Geez, let's brake check the handicap to keep things equal.

The handicap placard is for parking privileges, not driving. Iím sorry, but people shouldnít get to hide their poor driving skills behind a handicap placard and everyone else just accept it.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #27
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
I disagree based on experience. Some enjoy the thrill of bulling, when you keep movin on they follow except with more confidence.

Sometimes nipping it in the bud is the best thing to do.
All action has consequences, if the potential consequences of maybe teaching some idiot a lesson outweigh the potential of having your life ruined or worse than that's on you.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #28
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
He was not looking at the guy tapping his finger on the pistol smiling at him. He just went on about his business not even making eye contact.

So anyone open carry is now looking for a conflict?
No, but base on his comment as to why he "pulled his shirt out to make his gun clearly visible" we now know his intent was to intimidate. Intimidation isn't avoiding a conflict. Like I said, not smart.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #29
double bogey
Ten Point

I can't stand a bully. When I was growing up, one of the things I regret most was the few times I have bullied someone. If there was any way I could atone for that I would (grade school was a long time ago). I found out early on if you will fight, most bullies will leave you alone. You don't have to win to be left alone. There a lot of worse things than losing a fight.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #30
yotethumper
Ten Point

I get where you're coming from OP but honestly just keep driving. You never know when somebody is drugged out or just mentally wired differently. A sammy aint worth killing somebody or getting yourself killed.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #31
double bogey
Ten Point

Quote:
Iím not talking about physically assaulting someone.

If you are acting like a jackwagon, then you should be treated like a jackwagon. Not like a disabled jackwagon.

Not describing you in anyway.

I agree with that totally.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #32
double bogey
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Sounds like brandishing aka "disorderly conduct" in Texas.
Texas allows open carry. While still sitting in the car, i pulled the shirt up over the gun. He couldn't even see that.

Other than open carry my handgun, i didn't do anything i hadn't planned to do 2 hours earlier.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #33
yotethumper
Ten Point

Quote:
Texas allows open carry. While still sitting in the car, i pulled the shirt up over the gun. He couldn't even see that.

Other than open carry my handgun, i didn't do anything i hadn't planned to do 2 hours earlier.
I'm confused, in the original post it says:

Quote:
So I pull my shirt out from my concealed pistol, making it plainly visible, and we get out of the car and walk over to the entrance
if that is the case your intent was to intimidate... You can open carry in Texas but you can't carry with the intention to intimidate those around you.

Best to just keep on driving brother and avoid confrontation entirely.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #34
double bogey
Ten Point

Quote:
The handicap placard is for parking privileges, not driving. Iím sorry, but people shouldnít get to hide their poor driving skills behind a handicap placard and everyone else just accept it.

That is exactly why I decided to monitor my driving. I don't want to be that person.
Mostly i don't use the handicap places as if i can walk around the store, i can walk an extra 50' to the door. In this case, it was all that was available. I don't have handicap plates on either vehicle, and my placard runs out in 2020. i will wait and see how my health goes to see if i renew it.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #35
Artos
Pope & Young

Then let them steal your joy...I don't care. I give them the irk pass & go on about my day.

I notice the plates & why I asked if he had them on his vehicle.

Quote:

Old 10-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #36
double bogey
Ten Point

I forgot, i left the gun open carried the whole time we were there, and i don't think anyone even noticed, and i was sort of on alert, and made sure i looked at everyone making sure he didn't come back.

Doesn't really matter when the gun was uncovered, i did nothing illegal. Now if i waited til i got out of the car, then uncovered it, the you could say i used it for intimidation.
For the record, i don't believe in open carry. Logic told me if i got out of the car, made sure he could see the gun, ignored him and went about my business, he would go away, and i would be totally within my rights to not run away.
If he didn't go away, well, it didn't come to that, did it.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #37
Artos
Pope & Young

I think him seeing you pull into the handicap spot changed his tune even if he never saw your weapon...still, you did the right thing because clearly the handicap are in season & due equal access to thuggery.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #38
double bogey
Ten Point

Quote:
I think him seeing you pull into the handicap spot changed his tune even if he never saw your weapon...still, you did the right thing because clearly the handicap are in season & due equal access to thuggery.
I thought about that when i pulled in there. He either thought, well here we go, or dang, i honked at a handicapped person. Would like to know what he was thinking when i got out and walked away, and started talking to my friends.
Had to wonder if he was setting there with a pistol in his hand.

I like to think he was thinking what kind of an impatient idiot he was, because that's what i was thinking, but alas, most people don't think like i do.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #39
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Sadly that area ain't what it used to be. Glad it worked out ok for ya. I avoid that mall for that reason.
quarterback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #40
double bogey
Ten Point

I have not been in the mall for years. I grew up in the Oates / Galloway area, when Galloway was Barnes Bridge and all of the main roads were blacktop 2 lanes. My street was the last street in any development, all the way to Belt line rd, which is Broadway now, and I635 was farmland. Mesquite aint ever been utopia, and it hasn't gotten any better.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #41
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co

Good thing Road Rager didn’t see your brandished gun and take off to get “the boys” and come back. Risky move and most definitely antagonist regardless of legality. Lots of implications by introducing a gun into any kind of conflict. Glad I’m reading about it here and not Fox News.
Bradical BH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #42
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Good job OP! Don't let the holierthanthou crowd get you down. Showing some arseclown who's acting like a badarse that you don't have time or patience for his nonsense is not intimidation........it's a " I'll be your Huckleberry "moment!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #43
The Crippler
Ten Point

What sandwich did you order?

The Crippler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #44
double bogey
Ten Point

Italian with light veggies.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #45
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical BH View Post
Good thing Road Rager didn’t see your brandished gun and take off to get “the boys” and come back. Risky move and most definitely antagonist regardless of legality. Lots of implications by introducing a gun into any kind of conflict. Glad I’m reading about it here and not Fox News.
Yep, or hearing about how some mean old redneck cut a poor innocent little kid off who werent doin nothing wrong then followed him into a parking lot and attacked him with a evil assaulty concealed gun.

Nothing holier than thou about it... the road rager deserved to have his azz kicked but the real world has laws, cops, lawyers, judges and consequences that are better off not dealt with if it can be avoided. Especially when lethal force is involved, no one wins in this situations.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #46
rolylane6
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical BH View Post
Good thing Road Rager didnít see your brandished gun and take off to get ďthe boysĒ and come back. Risky move and most definitely antagonist regardless of legality. Lots of implications by introducing a gun into any kind of conflict. Glad Iím reading about it here and not Fox News.
I dont see where there was a conflict yet. He had made no recognition toward the aggressors actions in any way. As he stated, he was simply going where he had been intending to go 2 hrs before. In my opinion, by lifting his shirt before getting out of his vehicle, the OP was simply making his weapon more accessible should he need to defend himself, or his wife, against a threat from anyone. I dont think anyone should ever have to be intimidated into changing their lifestyle because someone else wants to be a jerk. By doing so we set precident for the courts to say we should.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #47
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

I guess I donít get it.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #48
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Road rage is a sum *****, trust me I know as I have a broken back, foot, and clavicle as a result of an instance exactly as you described. Iím glad everything worked out well for you.

canny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #49
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
I guess I donít get it.
I don't either. I never understood the "look at me, I carried my gun today" crowd.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2019, 07:56 PM   #50
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

You mean you didnít get out & say ďIím your HuckleberryĒ

Some people change personalities behind the wheel of a vehicle. Glad to hear nothing escalated. Should have got the firehouse meatball
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top