Bug Zappers for mosquitos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug Zappers for mosquitos?

Do those old school blue light bug zappers work to control mosquitos around the yard? I need something to keep these things in check!!

I have one hangin and still have skeeters so I guess it won’t kill em all. My thermacell keeps them away from my front door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thermacell offers effective mosquito repellent and tick control solutions including portable mosquito repellers, outdoor patio shield and tick control…

Get a couple area repellers. Put one on the table and maybe a couple torch styles strategically placed around the yard. Either that or the old school tiki torches if you dont mind the stank. Dad fogs the yard before family bbq/swimming and has pretty good results.

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 10-09-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

From my experience, anything that attracts bugs (light zaps, gas, etc) brings more bugs to the party. Best to use a deterrent. While Thermocells work great, could get expensive to use all the time. I have found an internet formula that worked great for me.

1 part Blue Mouthwash (Cheaper the better, big bottle)
        1 cup of epsom salts
        1 bottle of cheap beer

Mix them in a weed sprayer, and spray your porch, house, ceilings, yard, etc. Keeps them away for about 3-4 weeks before needing to reapply! Has worked great for me.

I also just got one of these, because the flies have been really bad lately. Been a lot of fun! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by Looney Tatonka View Post
          From my experience, anything that attracts bugs (light zaps, gas, etc) brings more bugs to the party. Best to use a deterrent. While Thermocells work great, could get expensive to use all the time. I have found an internet formula that worked great for me.

1 part Blue Mouthwash (Cheaper the better, big bottle)
          1 cup of epsom salts
          1 bottle of cheap beer

Mix them in a weed sprayer, and spray your porch, house, ceilings, yard, etc. Keeps them away for about 3-4 weeks before needing to reapply! Has worked great for me.

I also just got one of these, because the flies have been really bad lately. Been a lot of fun! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          If you think that's fun...

The mixture you're applying isn't sticky? As far as T cell pad affordability, it's not like you're running the T-cells in the yard full time. Literally just while you're outside. Also, Slick (I think) found a solution to reapply to the used pads.

Comment

To answer your question, everything I have read says the answer is no - bug zappers are not an efficient way to control mosquitoes. The tests/studies I have read said only 3-4% of bugs zapped are female mosquitoes. They are not particularly attracted to light - they home in on carbon dioxide.

Comment

Best way to control them is to spray your yard.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                If you think that's fun...

The mixture you're applying isn't sticky? As far as T cell pad affordability, it's not like you're running the T-cells in the yard full time. Literally just while you're outside. Also, Slick (I think) found a solution to reapply to the used pads.
                I've got one of those guns too, but this racket thing zaps them hard like a hot shot on a cow! It actually sparks and can even fry em if you catch one in between the wires. Whole new level of satisfaction, at least to me

Havent noticed it being real sticky. It will leave a slight white residue on wood like places, but my porch is all brick so I never really see it.

Comment

Working...
                X