Timney trigger question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timney trigger question.

When you replace the factory trigger on a Remington 700 with a Timney;do you lose the safety?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

NO. new trigger assembly has a safety just like the original trigger.

Comment

^That's what I thought too.I just bought a
      .222 withal heavy barrel without a safety.Just the Timney trigger..I jew'd him a bit because of it..New territory for me.Now I gotta figure out how to install a safety.

Comment

You can buy triggers both with & without safeties...jewell offers some models with the safety on the bottom inside the guard in front of the trigger.

I don't know if the timney you have would allow for the addy & would need to contact them to confirm...my guess is you may need a whole new trigger if you got to have a safety on it.

Sounds like a bench type gun & none of my br rigs ever had a safety...you can safely hunt without a safety but have to change your thinking about having a loaded chamber all the time. Bolt is now the safety & just stays open until ready to go down range. Not ideal but I've done it.

Comment

Easiest swap out ever. Bought a new 700 with the Rem X Mark adjustable trigger. Could get that POS swapped out fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            You can buy triggers both with & without safeties...jewell offers some models with the safety on the bottom inside the guard in front of the trigger.

I don't know if the timney you have would allow for the addy & would need to contact them to confirm...my guess is you may need a whole new trigger if you got to have a safety on it.

Sounds like a bench type gun & none of my br rigs ever had a safety...you can safely hunt without a safety but have to change your thinking about having a loaded chamber all the time. Bolt is now the safety & just stays open until ready to go down range. Not ideal but I've done it.

Didn't even think about those... I've never been a "bench" guy, so always had a safety... The Timney's I put in 700's had the same safety on the side just like the factory trigger...
            My personal 700 that I used to deer hunt with still has the factory trigger... Back then it even came with instructions on how to adjust it with the three set screws. Those old original triggers were dang nice triggers too... Remy's sure gone down the tubes since then... First 700 BDL I ever bought was $114.00 new in the box from Grant Ilsing in downtown Houston!! They even let me pick thru them to pick out the best looking wood!!

Comment

I can tune 90% of the older 700 triggers to a point you don't need an upgrade for a hunting rig & safe if you understand how those three screws work. You can also eyeball sear engagement which is helpful when learning.

I like the jewels because they are so easy to adjust for the bench & back to the field...not a necessity but nice to have. I bought a 6BR from Blake that had a jewell with the bottom safety & will see how well I like it this season out in the field.

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Didn't even think about those... I've never been a "bench" guy, so always had a safety... The Timney's I put in 700's had the same safety on the side just like the factory trigger...
              My personal 700 that I used to deer hunt with still has the factory trigger... Back then it even came with instructions on how to adjust it with the three set screws. Those old original triggers were dang nice triggers too... Remy's sure gone down the tubes since then... First 700 BDL I ever bought was $114.00 new in the box from Grant Ilsing in downtown Houston!! They even let me pick thru them to pick out the best looking wood!!

Comment

no sir... like they've said.. easy job, and a great replacement

Comment

I just put a new Timney in my 700. Not hard at all and it came with safety. Only tricky part is the bolt release and spring. Watch that when you are removing the pins. No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

Yep. If I were you and wanted the safety, I’d just pull the one you got and see if someone wants to trade.

Comment

It was used strictly on a bench.
                      .222 with a straight 36×scope.He's gonna mail me the factory trigger today.Checked it last night and it's set @ 5oz!That ain't gonna work for me.
                      Super clean rifle.Not a scratch on it.Been shot 150 times.

Comment

Originally posted by TXMark View Post
                        I just put a new Timney in my 700. Not hard at all and it came with safety. Only tricky part is the bolt release and spring. Watch that when you are removing the pins. No problem.
                        Thank ya sir.I'll hit up Alpine next Monday.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

That's a nice looking gun! My dad had one just like it that he used when he was deer hunting. Kept it in the stand with him to shoot turkey's heads off and the occasional yote or b-cat... Sweet shooter in that .222. I gave it to my brother.. if it'd been a .223, I'd have kept it for myseff...

Comment

Looks like a varmint special if all original...we had our br rigs set to 1.5-2oz. Be sure and shoot it like it is. You can always use that br trigger for future bench use & nice having one that light around.

If it's the original trigger he's sending you, then it should be adjustable for hunting use & like I stated only had about 1 in 10 that were uncooperative. I'll be happy to help you through the swap & adjustment if you want to diy.

Comment

Working...
                              X