Triathlon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triathlon?

That’s right. Fat boy said triathlon. There’s a sprint triathlon at the end of October that I’m gonna take a shot at. I have been spending the past two weeks shocking my body into running and swimming and plan to start this schedule next week with Week 6 repeated once to add additional fitness.

You can do a triathlon! Follow this sprint triathlon training plan to cross your first finish line in just eight weeks.

Any tips for training? I am really just focused on total fitness at this point but will be reading up on strategies for surviving my first event.

I'm actually in the middle of training for my first triathlon - in october, no less.

Biggest word of caution is this - don't overdo the running. TX heat sucks and if you're not used to it you can easily stress fracture your tibia/fibula. I'm in decent shape and my goal for my first go is 'don't walk.' My program is here:

Happy to talk training.

Killbirds reminded me - also youtube Triathlon Taren. Dude is a legit age grouper.
    Last edited by LiftAndShoot; 08-21-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

YouTube: Nick Bare, he posts tons of good information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wow good luck

Comment

It has been a long time but I’ve done 25 or so sprint and Olympic distance triathlons. I was never close to being in contention for my age group but it was always a lot of fun and a very rewarding experience. The transition between bike and run is the most difficult for most people. In your training make sure you do “bricks” which is doing a hard ride then immediately going for a run. It will get your legs used to that transition. Have fun - it is the best of the endurance sports IMO

Comment

Get a Garmin

Comment

Work on form more than speed in the pool. Also if it’s open water and you aren’t trying to win any trophies then hang back a few seconds before starting your swim. The time you lose is worth not getting hit and kicked 10 times and it’s easier to get into your normal rhythm.

Comment

I’ve done a lot of tri’s from sprints to half Ironman. For first race my goals were(listed in order): survive the swim, finish the race and don’t walk. Good luck!

Comment

I agree with jerp. The transition from bike to running is hard. Practice bricks and learn to pace. When you get out there, you're gonna see everyone hustle. The last thing you need is to go faster than what you've trained for. Know your pace and stick to it.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I see that I need to start doing bricks and that maybe the training program I’d found isn’t strong enough. It doesn’t have any combination workouts until the last two weeks. Been looking at Garmins. Might be able to trade in some United miles for a watch of some kind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                      Thanks for all the suggestions! I see that I need to start doing bricks and that maybe the training program I’d found isn’t strong enough. It doesn’t have any combination workouts until the last two weeks. Been looking at Garmins. Might be able to trade in some United miles for a watch of some kind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      I have a garmin forerunner235 that I don’t wear anymore. I used it when I was training for a half and really liked it.
                      It’s yours if you want cover shipping.

Comment

Bricks are great but also just work on your transitions. Set up your stuff like you will on race day in your garage, ride around the block a couple times and roll into the drive way, jump off the bike and change shoes and go do a couple quick laps around the block. I’m terrible at transitions

Get ready for another addiction. You’ll be cussing the race while you’re doing it and as soon as you’re done you’ll be finding more to sign up for

Comment

I do triathlons on a regular basis.
                          Attached Files

Comment

My first tri I did I swam way to fast in 80 degree water, it was like 50 out of the water. I got on my bike, rode maybe a mile, and cramped up so bad I couldn’t ride. I had to stop like 15 times to stretch out my calves. But I finished and that was all that mattered to me.

Comment

If you aren't already, get comfortable breathing on either side while swimming. A good drill is 3 strokes with alternating sides on breathing. Consistency in training without injury is key. Fitness and getting to the starting line are your rewards, the race is just icing on the cake.

Good luck to you,

Hogboy

Comment

Working...
                              X