Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Expensive lesson learned new f250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensive lesson learned new f250

I hope every new f250 owner can learn this from me by reading this...
    So the other day I take the truck to the car wash as I usually do. I have the full glass roof its 2 panels. Well I was standing where the bed meets the cab on top of the bed. Basically to where I can reach and clean the glass. I literally put one of my knees on the glass on the roof in an effort to reach further....snap crackle pop the sunroof back panel glass broke.

If your thinking it's simple just replace the glass. Glass is cheap....its not. Only ford can basically sell you the piece of glass. The cheapest I can find is 716 thru my local dealer. They were willing to price match a internet dealer of ford parts. Most dealers want 900+ for the glass.

So here's the kicker. No one, I mean no one will install it. No one wants to deal w a sunroof. Believe me I've called everywhere, even the dealers glass guys won't do it.

The dealer finally told me they would take it on, but it's a very involved process to replace it. No joke they want 10hrs of labor to install the sunroof plus the cost of the glass. This totals out at 2k if not more.

Luckily I have insurance and my deductible is 500. I called in the claim today.

Moral of the story is do not under any circumstances get on or put any weight on that glass. I always learn lessons the hard way, so I thought I'd share.

I hate to hear that. I have an xlt without a sunroof because I am always worried about leaks. These trucks are way too expensive to deal with something like that. Glad you had insurance coverage.

Comment

Wow good to know. Thank goodness for insurance.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Hell of a way to learn!

Comment

Dang Bro !!!

Comment

$2,000 for glass?? Good Lord. And people wonder why insurance prices keep going up. Vehicles these days cost an arm and a leg to fix.

Comment

That's reason number 11 u don't buy a truck with a sun roof

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Quick question, do you use the sunroof? Always thought one would be cool, but then reality that I don't need it sets in.

Comment

Be careful

Now be careful that you don’t put DEF in your diesel tank. It will be your second expensive lesson learned

Comment

Always stayed away from sunroof, both my boys worked in body shops, there's a lot that goes into replacing and then your gonna see that vehicle again if a leak pops up, and leaks are fairly common.

Comment

Good ole sunroofs!!! I have a 2011 F150 and the sunroof jammed up one day with a snap crackle pop!!! No big deal, I found a kit to rebuild it for $90. Next step was YouTube........ but when the guy said it would take 6/8 hours I started to worry a bit. When he started by removing the weather strip around the front doors It really got my attention and when he next took the front passenger seat out I started sweating!!! Next we’re the side airbags and trim strips just below the roof. Turns out you have to take the roof completely out followed by the complete sunroof assemble, hence the seat removal.
                      I found a father son trim shop in west Dallas that did it for $1000!! Dealer ship was around $2500 to start.
                      I love my sun roof.

Comment

Everyone I know that has the full panel sunroof says it leaks, included my f150. I think this is why no one wants to mess with them. Mine is currently broke and I don’t even think I’m gonna spend the money to get it fixed. If you do some googling about the leaking you’ll see it's very common it both the f150 and 250. Apparently it was designed around the leak. Supposedly there are drain lines routed to the bottom of the truck.

Comment

A couple of used available Expect your ins company to order the used one in Florida for $399.00......

Comment

A sunroof, on a pickup....truck? Why, for God's sake?

Comment

Yikes!

Comment

Working...
                              X