No announcement yet.

Gas or diesel? Pro's and cons of both

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you've pretty much answered your own question...you're pulling these different trailers and your current truck doesn't have enough power for you personally.
    It's not a daily driver so it won't cost you as much in fuel because of that.
    Diesel all the way !!! You won't be disappointed !!!

Comment

I have had diesels for 20 years now but think my next new truck(3/4 ton 2020 Ford) will be the new 7.3 Gas engine with the 10 speed transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        Well if you get a diesel everytime you cut someone off in traffic and blow nasty black smoke all over them your peepee grows .05"

Its science
        Dang that’s funny!! :

Comment

Ive had 98 chevy 3/4 with a 350 and 5 speed, 01 cummins 6 speed, 06 cummins, 09 5.7 hemi and now a 12 cummins. Im actually considering selling it and getting a 6.4 power wagon. The 5.7 hemi just didnt have the guts to pull much but it was FAST, and the 1/2 ton couldnt hold the weight at the time, but I hear good things about the 6.4 Hemi and power wagons come with 4.10's so pulling they should do better than the 3.73 geared 6.4's.

Ive tried a few times to like the 6.0 chevy, but its a dog compared to the hemi, tried and true motor but just gutless unless tuned and cammed

Comment

Since we're discussing diesel vs. gas, why is it that Diesel fuel is less than has one in many parts of the country, yet higher in our neck of the woods? Is it demand, additives, politics, etc.....?

Comment

I went from a diesel to two different gassers. Then back to a diesel. I don't ever see me going back to a gasser. They did the trick, but not as good as a diesel. They pulled, but not as good as a diesel. They stopped a trailer, but not as good as a diesel. IMO, the longevity of a diesel out weighs the higher maintenance/fuel cost.

Comment

Originally posted by HFDSwasta View Post
                GM’s new 6.6L gas 3/4 ton comes out in 2020. Finally replacing the 6.0 and looks to be a nice improvement on torque and a bit of improvement on HP. May be worth the wait?
                And I hear that no more AMF on the 6.6

Comment

No AFM would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                    Would you mind elaborating on what you did to your 5.3, as far as which intake, what exhaust, and a real tune or a programmable one? I have thought about this route as well. What transmission do you have or did you have in those 5.3's? I have been told that the 4L60e probably could not hold the power and torque if I were to put headers and magnaflow exhaust and inwould have to replace it with a 4L80. I probably need to re-gear as well. I am not sure what my truck has now.

All good info and thanks for the input.
                    The 4L60E isn't actually that bad of a tranny. Especially with lower gears attached. Mainly what kills it is heat and or stupidity from what I've seen.

My 2005 Tahoe had a custom HP tune, cold air intake, magnaflow exhaust, 3:73 gears, added transmission cooler. It was also lifted on 35" tires. No issues.

My "new" ride is an 07 Suburban 4x4. It has cold air, magnaflow, factory 3:73 and tow package with trans cooler. I used a superchip to disable afm, increase shift firmness, also raised shift points 300rpms to keep it in the power band more. It is lifted 3" and I'm running E range 34.5" Michelin at. Plenty of power and cruises on the highway with boats and trailers. It was drinking a little oil when I first got it. But I did the GM top engine cleaner TSB and turned off AFM and it burns no oil now.

The 09-up have the 6speed transmission. Which is better fuel mileage and nice for towing also.

I'm a coach also, I have stuck with 5.3 chevys vs buying a much more expensive truck because they're simple, reliable, and worst case scenario you can buy a new motor and drop in under 5k. I'd rather not pay a fat car note. And even if I had to drop a motor in I'm still not even at 1/3 what a new loaded 4x4 costs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                      Ive had 98 chevy 3/4 with a 350 and 5 speed, 01 cummins 6 speed, 06 cummins, 09 5.7 hemi and now a 12 cummins. Im actually considering selling it and getting a 6.4 power wagon. The 5.7 hemi just didnt have the guts to pull much but it was FAST, and the 1/2 ton couldnt hold the weight at the time, but I hear good things about the 6.4 Hemi and power wagons come with 4.10's so pulling they should do better than the 3.73 geared 6.4's.

Ive tried a few times to like the 6.0 chevy, but its a dog compared to the hemi, tried and true motor but just gutless unless tuned and cammed
                      The problem with the power wagon is the payload and tow ratings are in the half ton range.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                        My 17 6.7 doesn’t even get 15 on the HWY with 35 inch mud tires and a 3 inch leveling kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is crazy! My stock '15 6.7 Ram gets 22-24 consistently on the Hwy and I have seen 28 babying it to see how good I could get. Heck, I get 16.5 towing our 11k 5th-wheel!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                          Since we're discussing diesel vs. gas, why is it that Diesel fuel is less than has one in many parts of the country, yet higher in our neck of the woods? Is it demand, additives, politics, etc.....?
                          Information relating to the TxLED program, approved alternative diesel fuel formulations, producer/importer registration forms, quarterly reporting forms, alternative emission reduction plan (AERP) forms, and regulatory guidance. The TxLED Program is implemented to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxides from diesel-powered motor vehicles and non-road equipment.

The more you do to it the more it costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                            That is crazy! My stock '15 6.7 Ram gets 22-24 consistently on the Hwy and I have seen 28 babying it to see how good I could get. Heck, I get 16.5 towing our 11k 5th-wheel!

Michael
                            You have a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post

Michael
                              You have a real unicorn then , or bought it from a leprechaun
                              We never see those numbers in any of our diesel trucks

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                                The problem with the power wagon is the payload and tow ratings are in the half ton range.
                                True, but I dont pull all that heavy anymore, and bags would put it back where i could pull heavy if needed. I just like the 3/4's are setup better than 1/2's. Plus I like a solid axle on a 4x4. I get the itch for a new truck about every 3-4 years, but I did talk with a buddy last night about it. He pretty much told me the same thing I already know, Ive sold diesels to go gas before and always end up back in a diesel in a year or 2, so I'll prolly keep the diesel.

Comment

Working...
                                X