Deer lease. Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    Well I paid less than that for 2 leases.
    Well I pay less that that for 3 places.

Every situation is different.

This is like just about every other topic discussed on TBH. Those that would will never talk those that wouldn't into it and vice versa.

I'll never spend $2,000 on an over/under shotgun, but plenty will. I'll never spend $3,000 on a rifle and scope setup, but plenty will. I'll never spend $7,000 on an African hunt, but plenty will. Most will never spend $2,200 on 25 acre lease close to town, but plenty will.

Comment

I agree, it is expensive. That being said, my family had a honey hole leased for about 35 years. It was 32 acres and we paid $300 a year to lease it. We killed multiple 140" deer of it and up to 157". The land finally went up for sale in 2017 and I bought it (along with the bank). Would I have paid $2200 a year if that is what they wanted? You bet I would because someone else would have as well.

I can tell you this, it would take a lot more than $2200 for me to lease my place to anyone.

I am also on a 3000 acre hill country lease where I am assigned "an area" of about 300 acres with one stand. In the grand scheme of things hunting the lease is not that much different than hunting 30 acres. The only advantage is I get to ride around and enjoy the property outside of season and turkey hunt.

Comment

It's a simple matter really.

It's worth what you get out of it and if you're happy there then you'll pay his price and if not you won't.

You don't need us to tell you that.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
          The going rate per acre is what you can get per acre. Not what a large ranch 5 hours away will get.

If you charge someone $2200 and he passes, if you can get 1 other person to pay that, it's the going rate. Given that this is right next to Austin and there's a massive "convenience" factor for a large population that's loaded with rich people, I bet he can get $2200 without much problem.

So conversely, should the hunter feel bad for trying to rip off a good honest person by undercompensating him for his land?
          It was asked would I do what was fair and yes as a landowner I would! And IMO thats ridiculous for 25 acres and those of you who pay this outrageous $ are the reason lease prices have been driven through the roof in the last decade.Then you are the same ones who want to turn around and b##ch about how high lease prices are. I also have property in that area so Im not in the dark about whats the going rate!It would mean more to have someone who is happy about what they are paying and are with me for the long haul to better my property instead of posting "Is it with it worth it" on the Green Screen!
          Last edited by ShaBow; 01-15-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
            It was asked would I do what was fair and yes as a landowner I would! And IMO thats ridiculous for 25 acres and those of you who pay this outrageous $ are the reason lease prices have been driven through the roof in the last decade.Then you are the same ones who want to turn around and b##ch about how high lease prices are. I also have property in that area so Im not in the dark about whats the going rate!It would mean more to have someone who is happy about what they are paying and are with me for the long haul to better my property instead of posting "Is it with it worth it" on the Green Screen!
            Your opinion doesn't set the market or determine what's "fair". What hunters are willing to pay does and nothing else.

Comment

I mean, let's just cut to the chase and say it's not fair that some people have more disposable income than others. That's the real issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                Your opinion doesn't set the market or determine what's "fair". What hunters are willing to pay does and nothing else.
                Obviously it doesn't! Lol!
                Last edited by ShaBow; 01-15-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                  Well I pay less that that for 3 places.

Every situation is different.

This is like just about every other topic discussed on TBH. Those that would will never talk those that wouldn't into it and vice versa.

I'll never spend $2,000 on an over/under shotgun, but plenty will. I'll never spend $3,000 on a rifle and scope setup, but plenty will. I'll never spend $7,000 on an African hunt, but plenty will. Most will never spend $2,200 on 25 acre lease close to town, but plenty will.
                  You forgot $75,000 for a pickup.....other than that you nailed it.

Comment

All depends on available funds and the size of the bucks in the area? 25 acres is pretty small but I wouldn't mind hunting it if there is a possibility of killing a 150+ deer.

Comment

What’s the going rate for a 130 inch deer? What if there were bigger deer than that around? If I didn’t have places to hunt already and it was five minutes from where I lived, I’d pay it. The convenience and potential for spring turkey are the selling points to me. Everyone places value on different things.
                      Last edited by 2coolforschool; 01-15-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

As stated previously, lease price per acre is not comparable between small and large tracts of land.

Heck, I used to lease ~120 acres for $2,500 annually. It being 20 minutes from my door step was a big deal to me at the time. Was on that place for a few years. The last couple years, I split the cost with a buddy and we both hunted it. Killed a few deer and plenty of hogs. I never felt like it was a bad deal. Time and convenience do have value.

Comment

$800-1000 year round would be top doller

Comment

So what y'all are saying is at this rate I could get around 10,000 annually for my 110 acres. LOL! And its got exotics that could be hunted year round. I wouldn't even think of asking or charging someone that! Thats ridiculous! If thats the case I think its time to buy more land and lease it to some of you. Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                              So what y'all are saying is at this rate I could get around 10,000 annually for my 110 acres. LOL! And its got exotics that could be hunted year round. I wouldn't even think of asking or charging someone that! Thats ridiculous! If thats the case I think its time to buy more land and lease it to some of you. Lol!
                              Yes, exactly. That's what we're saying. You nailed it.

Comment

1. A good deal is a state of mind.
                                2. It’s all relative. Not being able to afford it, doesn’t mean it’s not a sensible deal for someone who can.

Comment

Working...
                                X