Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ticks

Hey guys,
    We were out at a friends farm the other day, and my boy came back out of the hay barn with fleas and ticks all over him. I said I would ask on here... whats the best way to deal with getting rid of all the critters like that out of there. There are cattle around and keeping them healthy is a concern. The barn cats are not really a concern. What do yall think?

Keeping grass mowed short will help with chiggers and ticks. Spray shoes and legs with OFF. Clearing brush means fewer rodents which means fewer fleas. Barn cats carry a lot of fleas. If they are tame try to treat them with some kind of topical.

Comment

I treat my clothes witg permethrin. Ticks have all kinds of nasty crap tgey can give you.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe permethrin is safe for cattle. You could spray the barn walls and areas with some of that to help keep them from coming in.

Comment

If you aren't a large operation and have a pinch point cattle HAVE to walk through you might look into something like the "Cattle Curtain" we have used it in the past with a combination of permethrin and mineral oil to great success.

Comment

I will pass that along to him. I had the same concern at the family farm a few years ago. If I’m able to make something happen with that I will have to do the same stuff.

Comment

Guys..... ticks, fleas, chiggers, and for the most part mosquitoes are totally preventable. Three doses of ivermectin in spring and three in fall. Forget about stinky repellent after that.

Comment

Chickens?

Comment

I don’t know about his place and chickens. I like chickens. I’ll have to look at ivermectin.

Comment

there was a thread going earlier today about controlled burns. I bet a little fire would pop those ticks.

Comment

10% mix of permethrin and water. Spray the clothes and boots/shoes and let it dry. Works like no other!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        Guys..... ticks, fleas, chiggers, and for the most part mosquitoes are totally preventable. Three doses of ivermectin in spring and three in fall. Forget about stinky repellent after that.
                        Forgive my ignorance, but are you serious?

Comment

Please keep an eye on things I wound up with Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever it has really taken a toll on my life.I’m sitting here in chronic pain,and it has devoured my brain and abilities.If you find a tick on yourself or kids closely monitor their health if there’s any fever rash or not feeling well,quickly go to doctor and start antibiotics treatment.Quick treatment is the best way to handle it.I had fought strange health issues for years until I got diagnosed,as of right now the future doesn’t look real bright for me all because a couple dam ticks.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            You talkin about human dosing or cattle

Comment

There are a lot of treatments you can use in the barn. Ask your feed store/ farm supply and NOT Tractor Supply. Some of the sprays will last 3-6 months.

Sika had a great response for preventing these critters on yourself. Keep the brush and grasses knocked down. You can also sprinkle Sevin Dust around but it will wash out with rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X