X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to do this!

Comment

Originally posted by HomeSick View Post
      I don't mean to get the thread off of the subject of trapping. It is something that I would love to get into some time. Right now I am calling and shooting the critters around here. They are cased skinned and in the freezer. I'm using a .22 mag so not much damage.
      My question is, what size and brand of stretchers should I get to put our west Texas coyotes, bobcats and grey fox on? I don't plan on selling them but would like to stretch and dry them in order to later get them tanned and to practice in case I ever do get to the point of selling a few.

In order to not get the thread off subject, feel free to PM me if you would like. Thank you to anyone who can help.
      Try "Top Lot Stretchers" in MN. Great product made by great people!

Comment

Yep, we use Top Lot stretchers too. Coyotes and bobcats will fit the same stretcher. Get the adjustable ones. The seconds are not bad either.
        Moyle Mink in Idaho does a great job tanning furs that are stretched and dried also, good price.

Comment

Thank you oneeye and wytx. I will look into them. Moyle is the tannery that I was thinking about using as well. Do yall think that the stretchers will be close enough to the same size for our fur bearers down here as they are for up there? I was under the impression that the fur bearers up north were bigger than here. Thanks again!
          Last edited by HomeSick; 12-27-2020, 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

They should work fine. The adjustable ones have a width adjustment and the length will not matter.
            Moyle is all we use for tanning, they do great work but it will need to air out, tanning smell but it dissipates. Nice soft tan that looks and feels great.
            You can always email Top Lot and ask, great folks as mentioned.

Comment

They will work for you.

I am a lumber supplier to Top Lot. Both basswood for stretchers and oak for fleshing beams. Can't say enough good about them!

Comment

Thanks for the information guys. I will be putting in an order after the first of the year. I really have to get into the trapping side of this. It looks and sounds like a blast. And it helps protect my deer and turkey too.

Comment

Got this big male yesterday 32 lbs.
                  and yes, there’s another trap in his other paw. Apparently he got into one of my other others and broke the heavy cable wire, and got caught in another one. I got really lucky.
                  My second one.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pretty lucky for you to catch that sucker twice

Quiet unlucky for him

Comment

Originally posted by HomeSick View Post
                      I don't mean to get the thread off of the subject of trapping. It is something that I would love to get into some time. Right now I am calling and shooting the critters around here. They are cased skinned and in the freezer. I'm using a .22 mag so not much damage.
                      My question is, what size and brand of stretchers should I get to put our west Texas coyotes, bobcats and grey fox on? I don't plan on selling them but would like to stretch and dry them in order to later get them tanned and to practice in case I ever do get to the point of selling a few.

In order to not get the thread off subject, feel free to PM me if you would like. Thank you to anyone who can help.
                      Top Lot makes an excellent stretcher!

Comment

Quick question, with this big cold front and rain coming in for 2 days. Do y’all pull your traps before a big storm, or do y’all leave them?

Comment

Deafishunter, I'm guessing he chewed thru that cable. I can't believe you caught him a second time! Slow learner I guess! Good job.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                            Deafishunter, I'm guessing he chewed thru that cable. I can't believe you caught him a second time! Slow learner I guess! Good job.
                            Yes I was very surprised too. Never thought a coyote would be able to chew cable wire that thick.
                            But overall I was happy to catch him again and not have a dog running around with a trap in its foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post
                              Quick question, with this big cold front and rain coming in for 2 days. Do y’all pull your traps before a big storm, or do y’all leave them?
                              I bedded mine in peat moss and dusted them with dirt.

Leaving them out until they catch or get washed out

Comment

I’ve been killing a bunch of coyotes with m44s but they aren’t much to look at by the time I find em. I don’t snare much on the predator control jobs but this creek crossing was perfect, so I had to do it. This Ol coyote was caught just n/w of Huntsville, they sure have some good color in that area.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X