lease big property or buy small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lease big property or buy small?

was out at the lease this weekend and started looking at what it would cost to buy our 2 sections. Came to the realization that 1,200ac is out of budget. Would you rather lease a larger chunk of land or buy something under 200 ac, under 100 if within a hour and a half of the house?

That would depend on the size of the small parcel's neighbors.

Comment

Ha. you're about to get as many opinions as if you asked Ford or Chevy.

I get liking the big acreage and it usually comes with a related number of other hunters. I've opted for buying my own. It works for me, can go when I want, any improvements are mine, and I only hunt with people I know and want to have there

The current place I bought is small acreages but two family members from out of state bought adjoining properties so all total we have about 100 acres. Small by most any standard but hunts very well and works for me. Any when I'm tired of this place hopefully the value has appreciated instead of paying lease fees.

Comment

If you want big deer lease big land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pros and Cons to both. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and finances.

I personal would prefer purchasing small tract that borders large tract, but again to each his own.

Comment

I would say buy, They are never going to be making any more land!

Comment

If you owned your own land, you wouldn't ever have your lease canceled the month before deer season. You wouldn't have the owner's family showing up to hunt your feeders. You wouldn't have the owner allowing folks to run hog dogs on the property and you wouldn't have the owner putting up energy windmills. And, years down the road, you will have invested in something that appreciated.

Comment

9 years ago I purchased 140AC that is 1hr 25min from Coppell. Since that time, its doubled in price and I would have a hard time justifying the cost at this point vs the cost to lease if hunting is the main objective. I think from an investment standpoint, closer to DFW is better. If you are wanting a pure hunting place and your lifestyle won't let you go all the time, I would do something further away with excellent hunting.

It can get a little boring hunting the same place all the time but you have to try and mix it up with plots/new setups/projects/cabin/etc... I have hogs... lots of them... so you can hunt all year. As much as they are annoying, they do make low deer density areas more fun to hunt (I know... I know...)

Comment

Give me something that I can call "Mine" any day of the week!

Comment

I would rather buy. I can call it mine and I can make the rules.

Comment

Been in both scenarios. For me there is no question buy smaller and closer, BUT I'm not too concerned about taking a giant deer and I'm not bothered if my neighbor shoots one I've been passing on.

Comment

Both ? I own eighty acres where I killed a 138” buck last year about 350 yards from my house. I’m also on a lease about 20 minutes away in the adjoining county and hunt another property about 2 hours away by invitation, but I can go anytime I want. I don’t like to overhunt any place so I like to have options. You’re the only one who can make the choice.

Comment

I would rather buy. We bought some land around Madisonville. I have plenty of deer and more pigs than we could have ever imagined. Been hunting it for the past 10 years and still get excited for every hunt. However, I really miss having a lease because I enjoyed hunting with my friends and hunting in different places around Texas.
                          In the end, the trade off is worth it to me.

Comment

Buy

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                              If you want big deer lease big land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Hmmm. Not true. Plenty of huge bucks killed on less than 200 acres in my part of Texas. I would rather own 200 acres all day long versus leasing 2000+ acres.

Comment

Working...
                              X