No announcement yet.

Atv crimper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would putting some form of bevel on the angle iron help it? I could see the rounded edges just bending the stalks into the ground.

Comment

Hooked the junior crimper up today and layed down some elbon rye after we broadcasted some sunflower. The crimper worked best on the taller stalks but not too bad overall. I’ll shred what sticks back up later if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s a great build! One reason the commercial made ones have a “v” tread to them is to increase “pounds per square inch”. With the straigh flat rib you are displacing all the weight on probably 2 or more full lengths of runners. That will impede its crimping ability. But for home built and your intended purpose, you did a great job

Spraying before will greatly increases your effectiveness at a minimum cost and time.

Comment

Thanks, but I didn’t build it. I gave a real welder the design and paid him to do it. It’s a lil fella but works pretty good with the four wheeler and much better than the old log roller [emoji23]

Comment

Grass may not be mature enough to crimp. Needs a stiff stem to snap

Comment

I want one

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                Grass may not be mature enough to crimp. Needs a stiff stem to snap
                Is this where spraying first and then coming back a week or so later to crimp would be better?

Comment

It is my understanding the one of the main advantages of the crimper is reduce/avoid the use of herbicides

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertx View Post
                    It is my understanding the one of the main advantages of the crimper is reduce/avoid the use of herbicides

It will, and has several advantages. But about the only disadvantage (in our area), is you need post mature grass to crimp. That puts us in Texas very late to terminate grass, which puts our spring planting too far back (imho). Gly will kill it and the packer is a fast alternative to shedding. And does a great job covering soil

Comment

That's awesome!! ill have to build one later on

Comment

Pretty cool idea!! A good old fashioned railroad crosstie drug behind an atv works pretty good for folks that aren’t mechanically inclined.

Comment

How is crimping better than just cutting the grass with a brush hog?

Comment

Originally posted by GLM View Post
                            How is crimping better than just cutting the grass with a brush hog?
                            A crimper isn't used to kill grass or weeds like a shredder/mower, but terminate a previously planted cover crop such as rye/wheat/oats/buckwheat/clover/vetch, etc. The terminated crop forms a thick and even layer of thatch that reduces weed germination, holds moisture, keeps the soil cooler, turns into organic matter or slow release fertilizer. In large scale no-till farming it reduces herbicide, fertilizer, and tractor operating use/costs. Look up the Buffalo System for food plots.

This little crimper I pull isn't big enough to terminate like a heavy 3-pt crimper does but it sure worked good this year leaving a thick blanket of mulch.

Great video from el gato explains it best:
                            Last edited by Mountaineer; 05-14-2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X