No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodness Rusty! That buck is amazing........as are all of the ones on the wall behind him.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
      Goodness Rusty! That buck is amazing........as are all of the ones on the wall behind him.
      Bit of trivia about the buck on the wall above my buddies head. He is one of the wider net B&C bucks in the world at 31 1/2" inside spread. Officially scored 188 gross 177 net, low fence native genetic for those interested in that sort of thing. I never entered him after having him scored though I believe the one to his right was entered at 190 something or another...I forget.I didn't shoot that one.

Comment

31.5? That’s crazy. Awesome bucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
          Bit of trivia about the buck on the wall above my buddies head. He is one of the wider net B&C bucks in the world at 31 1/2" inside spread. Officially scored 188 gross 177 net, low fence native genetic for those interested in that sort of thing. I never entered him after having him scored though I believe the one to his right was entered at 190 something or another...I forget.I didn't shoot that one.
          That is incredible....the nephew of your nextdoor neighbor down in Mexico works with me.....we got to talking about deer hunting and he mentioned his uncle lives down in Mexico on a sizable ranch. Got to talking and he mentioned a "guy from Louisiana owned the ranch next door" He texted his uncle and sure enough, it was you. Small world! I am not sure on his uncles name but maybe Art? He is in a wheelchair.

Comment

Did you ever fly with Coleman Strickland?

Comment

Nice

Comment

Quick Question: Does your neighbor want to lease his place this season

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                  Did you ever fly with Coleman Strickland?
                  I don't recognize that name. Doesn't mean I haven't flown with him.What does he fly? Helicopter surveys? Fixed wing?

Comment

Got any pictures with him? I’d love to see him with we can compare size with. I can’t even grasp how big 31” wide would be. Y’all kill some amazing WT on both sides of that boarder!

Comment

Originally Posted by elgato View Post
                      Did that one come from the old Rio Grande Rancho?

Comment

I don't recognize that name. Doesn't mean I haven't flown with him.What does he fly? Helicopter surveys? Fixed wing?
                        He flew crop-dusters. He is deceased now. He flew in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. Lived in Cheneyville. I grew up with his sons. Helped load a few planes for him. And, helped his son around his farm a bit.

Comment

Here is the answer to a couple questions. I got this buck in 2004.... back when it used to rain....from El Gato which used to be part of Rancho Rio Grande but I bought it in 1997. He was an 'ordinary' 165" buck the year before about 22-23" wide. Was either 7 or 8 when I got him
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here is the answer to a couple questions. I got this buck in 2004.... back when it used to rain....from El Gato which used to be part of Rancho Rio Grande but I bought it in 1997. He was an 'ordinary' 165" buck the year before about 22-23" wide. Was either 7 or 8 when I got him
                            Amazing Buck.

Comment

Haven't reported on the farm in a while so here is a brief update.

RAIN!

We hoped to start crimping the annual fields this weekend to plant next week. However after several more inches of rain that is delayed for now. Just proves the limitations of planting by a calendar. I'll follow same procedures with roughly same mixes as in the past so no need to elaborate or video.Couple exceptions are that I am adding a bit more grass in the form of sorghum Sudan grass to the mix in the anticipation of grazing with cattle later in the year. More on that later.

Another experiment is I will drill some buckwheat, sunflower, okra, and a little milo into my clover fields. Twofold idea with first being soil health. The idea is to add crops that will soak up the nitrogen being fixed by the clover. Sedge is getting into all my fields and I could either use poison to try and kill it or I can address the root cause at the soil level to change the environment. The second reason is I intend to mob graze the clover fields later this year and diversity is foundational in regenerative grazing.

Which brings me to my foray into regenerative agriculture. I recently visited BDA Farms in Union Alabama owned by my consultant Dr. Allen Williams. I was blown away!!! 4200 acre farm with all fields certified organic, 20 acres of organic vegetables, cows, sheep, 4000 chickens and incredible diversity. Bluntly the fields were shockingly beautiful. Tremendous diversity with lots of stuff deer eat as well. Deep green and lush and had already been grazed twice this year. Was eye opening! The farm is a profound testament to the power and profitability of regenerative ag.

As a side note I am looking to hire someone skilled in regenerative ag to develop and run that program on my farm. PM's welcome if anyone knows anyone....

Comment

Awesome animal

Comment

Working...
                                X