Reds on the Fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reds on the Fly?

Any of y'all had any success targeting reds with a fly? One of my bucket list items is to net a solid slot red on a fly rod.

I used to target reds all the time when I lived in Corpus.

It was easy to find and sight-cast them in waters knee deep or less. It is a blast for sure!

Down there, you would learn to keep the fly low and to double haul like a mofo, due to the wind.

Typically would run a 8wt with either a clouser or imitation shrimp.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Comment

Didn’t even know you fly fished. You know I don’t mess with reds but in the Sept/October they are easy to find schooled up and tailing.

Comment

If you don’t have much experience going after reds with a fly I would recommend getting a guide who only guides fly fishing trips. I’ve been with Ben Paschal and Scott Sommerlatte and both were great. Have heard good things about Eric Glass as well.

Comment

Clousers, shrimp patterns, and spoon flies work well. Get in on a moving tide.

Comment

Shallow water reds are a blast on fly and are usually not picky about the particular fly your using. Pipe cleaner fly has caught lots of them. lol

Took clients fly fishing in FL bay out of Flamingo for 45 years for reds, snook, trout, tarpon and sharks. Reds always held there own against the glamour boys.

A good 9 weight out fit will do nicely, more for the wind than the fish tho.

Any questions PM me

Comment

My son has caught a few. Like phillip said, September/October. I know where they get thick, but you can't wade it or get a boat in there.

I usually catch em on top water then

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

No need to pay for a guide. Get behind mustang island and walk slowly through the calf deep water. Eventually you will happen across a redfish or drum willing to eat. Small shrimp/crab imitations or spoons.

Comment

Landed 19 in one day in SPI with Eric Glass. One of my best fishing days ever. They don’t have the speed of bonefish but they love to eat under the right conditions and are strong!

Comment

Shorter/mushy walk behind the college down here but generally smaller fish. Don’t get me wrong, there are bigger and even oversized in oso but they are crazy spooky.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                      Any of y'all had any success targeting reds with a fly? One of my bucket list items is to net a solid slot red on a fly rod.
                      On the bucket list for sure. Was in POC and saw a tailing red. Tossed everything I knew to present and noda.

Convinced had I had a fly in hand I'd have landed a nice size red.

Check out this Guides channel for tips - https://www.youtube.com/c/AlvinDedeauxFlyFishing/videos

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Get after it. When I fished a lot I would carry my fly rod with me and when I was in a good school of shallow water reds rig it up and get to catching. Seldom would I use it unless I was on a good number of fish. Over the years there have been times I would find a school that just had lock jaw, they would be on a flat for maybe a month, everyone in town knew they were there but **** near impossible to catch. They would run from a spoon or tout, very skittish. It would be hard to wade to them undetected, but when I did I was able to keep the fly just in front of them and it was as if they would hit it out of anger for it hanging around too long.

Comment

It’s a blast! I caught some bull reds on the fly with the Fly Fish Rockport. It’s so addicting I built a poling skiff! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know a back lake where it can happen...

Comment

Working...
                              X