No announcement yet.

Protein/Cotton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton seed is 24% protein, gin trash is about 11% protein. Gin trash is also used in cattle feed. Years ago gin trash was burned, that was stopped by EPA rules. Now they dump it on the ground, sort of like mulch, feed cattle, etc.. Had some dumped on some of our property once, I saw the deer eating at the pile of gin trash. We mixed a little corn, and they were there eating more.

What do Texas cotton gins do with gin trash?
    file:///C:/Users/MHasenak/Downloads/62-Article%20Text-106-1-10-20160413.pdf

What is the make up of gin trash?

Comment

feed

Originally posted by Alemana View Post
      What product is that and where are you getting it from? Any clogs in a gravity fed feeder?
      I get it from Lyssy & Eckel
      Have to order a 6 ton min for them to make it I think.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
        Well what you have is what I have, however I cannot keep the cows from destroying my pens to get to the protein feeders.
        Most pens are 4 strand barb wire with the bottom wire 18 inches to 2 feet off the ground. using old telephone poles for the corners and gate. Have also used hog panel wired up the same off the ground if the wire gets loose and cows start tearing it up.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
          Why? Protein offers more advantages than cotton
          This!!

Comment

Cottonseed

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
            I switched to Fortified Cottonseed. Vert vert little waste as compared to protein. Coons don't eat it, doesn't go bad when it rains, pigs don't eat it either.
            I started feeding Fortified Cottonseed this year and the deer are all over it! But the Coons WILL eat it and pigs will as well. I was told the same thing so I just put barbed wire around my cotton feeder and the pigs tore it up! Not a deer one got to the seed. I put a hog panel feeder pen up to take care of the pigs.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by honchogrande2; 04-23-2021, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by honchogrande2 View Post
              I started feeding Fortified Cottonseed this year and the deer are all over it! But the Coons WILL eat it and pigs will as well. I was told the same thing so I just put barbed wire around my cotton feeder and the pigs tore it up! Not a deer one got to the seed. I put a hog panel feeder pen up to take care of the pigs.

Yes I have found that pigs coons Javalina and cows love cotton seed [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by honchogrande2 View Post
                I bet them coons are after the corn your feeder is throwing on it

Comment

Seems to me if you have to feed both something is missing from your protein.

Comment

The original draw of whole cottonseed was that it was cheap. Now it seems its trendy because a lot of big time deer ranches feed it. Make it $14/50, put it in a sack, and let the hunters feed away.

Protein pellets are superior, and if the price is close they win all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                      Seems to me if you have to feed both something is missing from your protein.
                      IDK..

Cotton seed is 17% fat and 21% fiber, about. You will never get that in a pelleted feed. Fiber is good for intestinal flora, which in turn allows for better digestion. The fat, that has it's own benefits and yes, while too much is not always better, it gives the animals a different option during the different growing stages of the year.

There are a lot of animals that will not eat at a protein feeder, but will hit cottonseed everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
                        IDK..

Cotton seed is 17% fat and 21% fiber, about. You will never get that in a pelleted feed. Fiber is good for intestinal flora, which in turn allows for better digestion. The fat, that has it's own benefits and yes, while too much is not always better, it gives the animals a different option during the different growing stages of the year.

There are a lot of animals that will not eat at a protein feeder, but will hit cottonseed everyday.
                        I know of a feed that you will not need cotton seed for.

PM if interested.

Plus I managed 30,000 acres in south Texas for a long time so I can show proof.
                        Best year we had was with no seed and protein only.

Comment

I know of a feed that does not require seed for its fiber value.

PM if interested.

PS—I managed 30,000 acres in south Texas. Been through them all.

Comment

We also feed both at our main feed stations. However, I have a few secondary feed pens that have only corn and cottonseed.

During hunts, most mature bucks eat all 3 each time they get in the pen - they prefer a variety just like humans.

The cattle definitely prefer the protein over the cottonseed. They don't come into my pens if there is no protein, but once they get in, they will eat the cottonseed as well.

It's all expensive and a pain to keep full, but it's fun. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                              I know of a feed that does not require seed for its fiber value.

PM if interested.

PS—I managed 30,000 acres in south Texas. Been through them all.
                              What is the cost of the protein?

Comment

U still on Bag there Big Mike?

Comment

Working...
                                X