Turkey with 17 HMR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey with 17 HMR

Whos actually done it? My hesitation is really just a windy day causing a miss. I know the 22-250 will do the job.

I've killed a few in the Fall with mine and my buddy has too. It'll get the job done.

Comment

A few years ago my buddy's kid body shot one with my hmr.

Turkey went about 20 yards and was dead

Comment

I killed one with mine a few years back that caught me off guard mid day. He didn't take a step or even flop! Also shot one my wife shot with the shotgun that took off running, he got out to almost 100 yards and hit him square in the back and he dropped. Not sure how he made it that far though his head looked Swiss cheese! But yes they will get the job done no doubt!

Comment

Isn't that against the law since its rimfire???

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post

Kinda what I was thinking[emoji23] if it was legal id be hunting everything with a 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think so. Turkey is not listed as illegal.https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...ns-and-methods

Comment

It's legal to shoot thunder chickens with a rimfire, hoping to try out my .17 on one here in a few months!

Comment

It's legal for rios not for easterns. Shotgun or bow is still the better choice anyway. Way more fun for sure!

Comment

Sorry for the incorrect statement above.

Dang ive been bow only for the last 30 years so not up on laws for firearms but could swear it use to be illegal.

Comment

I guess ill give it a shot. I just picked up some 12 gauge 3" Federal TSS from cabelas in Lubbock...with tax over $45 for 5 rounds.

Comment

17 makes for an easy head shot. Make noise, they turn head broadside to look at you.......goodnight!

Comment

Once shot a gobbler still 197 yards with a 22mag.... not one the first or 5th shot but I did get him.

Comment

I killed two years ago, with a 17 HMR. Shot the first one at about 30 yards, hit it in the base of the neck. It stood there looking around, knowing something was wrong, then took of running. It got about 20 ft. and dropped dead, no flopping, nothing just dead, it was kind of odd. But if that was odd, what happened next was more odd. There were four jakes with the tom, they all ran over and started pecking the dead tom. They were relentless. I walked up and started yelling at the birds, they did not seem to notice me. I finally hit one of the birds with my had, kind of pushing it away. They momentarily stopped pecking the tom, but then went right back to pecking the tom. So I shot one of the jakes at point blank. Killed it, about five to ten seconds later, the other birds stopped pecking the tom and looked around, saw their other buddy was dead and decided they should leave. They did not leave in a big hurry either. **** birds are crazy.

The 17 HMR worked great on those two that day. I am guessing the bullet that hit the first one, probably blew out the arteries going to the brain, but did not damage the spine.

Probably work better for head or neck shots, if the turkey holds still long enough to get off a accurate shot.

Comment

Nope, only migratory game birds have to be hunted with a shotgun. Non migratory game birds can be hunted by rifle or shotgun. I actually started shooting quail as a kid with 22 LR. My step father used to get onto me for doing so. Told me you are supposed to only shoot them with a shotgun. I love eating quail, but hate biting down on shotgun pellets. Then years later, I was talking to a game warden friend of the family, and he got to telling me about how he kills a lot of quail with a 22 LR. So I asked, him if he did it, because nobody was going to give him a ticket, him being a game warden or was it legal. He informed, me it was legal, that you have to use a shotgun for migratory game birds, but not non migratory game birds.
                              So, I kept on shooting quail with a 22 LR., have not shot one in 25 years, have not been on a place that had quail in that long. Well except for the few we had in Marion, but I was wanting those quail to multiply a good bit more, before I shot any.

Comment

Working...
                              X