Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help choosing next rifle.

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for a rifle to hunt in the Hill Country. Whitetail, Axis, and pigs will be the main game animals. The shooting distance is anywhere up to around 200 yds.

My budget is from 1,000 to 2,000. The scope will be a Swarovski 1.7 to 10x Z6.
    I hunt out of the blind and Spot and Stalk. I’m looking at .270 win or 2.57 Weatherby Magnum or maybe 7mm.

The following three rifles are my main choices. Please give me your thoughts or experience with these guns. I’m open to other rifles that you may think fit my needs and wants.

Browning X Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed. I like the rifle features, however not a fan of the camo pattern so I’d get it cerakoted.

Weatherby Mark V Weathermark Bronze. I really like this rifle, however it’s only available in Weatherby calibers.

Remington 700 AWR. This rifle has 5R rifling and I’d replace the trigger. I’ve read that Remington has had QC issues. That kinda worries me.

Please let me know your thoughts if you used any rifles above. I appreciate it.

Best,

Out of that list I would pick the .257 just because I think that is a bad A round. However, it gets costly to shoot and if I didnt reload then I would be looking at the 270 out of that list. However, my preference for something like that would be a 7mm-08 or a 308. Ammo is cheap and they just flat kill. As far as guns go if you're looking to spend 1-2k then the sky is the limit. I personally would look at picking up a Sako 85 Finnlight in 7-08 or 308. I have one in 300 Win mag and its super smooth and a tack driver.

Comment

Thanks for the response! I’ll check out the Salk.

Comment

If i were buying a rifle with these parameters, I would go with a Christensen Arms Mesa in 7mm-08.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
          If i were buying a rifle with these parameters, I would go with a Christensen Arms Mesa in 7mm-08.
          Wow! Just looked at that rifle. Definitely an option.

Comment

Seeking Havak PH2

Whichever caliber you like. Within 200 yds I wouldn’t feel under gunned with any options out there.

Comment

if you not planning on shooting a lot farther than that no way i would get a magnum or a long action,, as was already stated the 308 or 7mm08 would be a great choice,,, heck i shoot my 45-70 200 yards and never think about it, but most of my shots are under 100 yards and super thick,,,

Comment

I just ordered a Winchester Extreme Weather in .25-06. Fluted SS barrel and BC stock. You can find one for under $1K. Might be worth a consideration.
                Last edited by WTN; 02-25-2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

If it was me, I'd skip the 3 mentioned and go Christensen Arms Ridgeline or a Sako 85. Both are gorgeous weapons with slick as owl crap actions, great triggers and impeccable fit and finish. I've got personal experience with both, own a Sako 85 greywolf and helped a close buddy set up a Ridgeline. As for the caliber, if you reload, 257 Bee......if not, flip a coin between the 7 Rem Mag and the 270.

Comment

I got a 416 Rigby in a CZ550 bolt action, it would be ideal for most game in the hill country. I never have lost an animal with it.

Comment

A .270 in a Browning X-bolt would be perfect for your Texas needs & also for elk out of state

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate it.

Comment

For Hill country animals within 200 yards I’d be looking for a nice 308 or 7/08 with a 20” barrel

Comment

A 6.5 Creedmoor in Ruger American Predator (topped with a Leupold VX5HD) is just so dominant for the $1200-and-under bracket. Get the Magpul stock and youtube a quick spring replacement for the trigger, then go hunt.

Haters gonna hate, but it's so popular for a reason.

Comment

I love my Remington sendero in 7 mag.

Comment

Working...
                              X