Turkeys?! Since When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkeys?! Since When?

In the past 15 years, I have seen a single hen on two occasions while hunting my family's ranch in Duval County. Also (a couple years ago), I once saw a "rafter" (?) of turkeys gathered in the FAR Northeast corner of the property. Literally backed up into the corner. Probably 20 or so but tough to count due to how closely grouped they were. This is the ONLY experience we've ever had with turkeys on the property in 15 years.

We just recently started running cameras and lo and behold... we've got turkeys! The first inclinations is, "well maybe they've been here all along and we are JUST now seeing them due to the recent game cam usage."

I don't think so though... The Northern part of the property is reserved for quail hunting. I have walked every square inch of the 300 acres repeatedly, with dogs, for the last 15 years and have never seen/heard sign of turkeys. I have spent many a cold morning walking that area and have never heard so much as a single gobble. I always assumed there aren't trees sufficiently large for turkeys to roost.

How does one explain this pic, though? Date is off. Was taken a couple weeks ago from what I understand.

In addition to the large amount of bird hunting, we spend hundreds of hours every year in deer stands and NEVER see turkeys.

SO... What gives? The neighbor on our N fence line does have larger trees and I'm suspecting they are roosting there. I have ZERO experience turkey hunting so what would you guys do if you wanted to try to bag a few thunder chickens? Or should I lay off from pressuring them for a while?

Let's hear it...

-Tim
    Attached Files

Gonna be easier to hunt them in the spring than in the fall unless you can get them coming to a feeder. As far as spring hunting them, if they aren’t gobbling, it can be tough. I’ve been fortunate to be successful every year I’ve Turkey hunted. I’ve called some in and spot and stalked a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They are definitely making a comeback in lots of places. I will say this we are covered up with them and they can be worse than the hogs on your corn if not careful. I have seen literally 50 or 60 at one time and they will walk down the road and eat every kernel. Hec even 15 or 20 together will clean the roads up.

Comment

Looks like Easterns....I'm no Eastern's expert but you prob can only take one gobbler in certain counties..

Check your county regs first.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Looks like Easterns....I'm no Eastern's expert but you prob can only take one gobbler in certain counties..

Good idea... Again, ZERO turkey experience. For the record, I'm not trying to hunt them now. Got plenty of other critters on the "menu" for now. I'm talking a Spring hunt.

All I "need" is one anyway. From what I understand, they ain't any good to eat. I'd just like to check that one off the list.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
            Good idea... Again, ZERO turkey experience. For the record, I'm not trying to hunt them now. Got plenty of other critters on the "menu" for now. I'm talking a Spring hunt.

All I "need" is one anyway. From what I understand, they ain't any good to eat. I'd just like to check that one off the list.

I’ll happily come shoot one to eat. I mean like you said, they ain’t that good anyways....

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post

The breasts are **** good...

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                I’ll happily come shoot one to eat. I mean like you said, they ain’t that good anyways....

The breasts are **** good...
                You see? I always heard they were bad but saw a few videos of people making schnitzel (sp?) out of the breasts. Tenderized into thin pieces, breaded/fried, and served with lemon juice. How can that NOT be good?

OK now it's on Lol if nothing else, just to prove dad wrong in regards to eating them.

Comment

They're like pigs, you got'em now. I'd shoot one if you want, they breed like rats.

Slice that breast across the grain into steak finger sized strips and chicken fry, dang tasty. Throw the rest to the dogs.

Comment

For the first ten years that we had our ranch, we'd occasionally see a hen, but that was it. We started seeing some gobblers about 10 years ago and set up a dedicated turkey feeder with milo and started mixing milo with the corn in some of the other feeders. We now have huntable numbers in the spring. Was it the milo? I don't know, but it seems to be.

Comment

DD where do you hunt? I see you're right down the road. I work on Hufsmith Kohrville just S of 2920, closer to Holderreith.

Comment

Huh?? That wasn't a very SMART answer Those are Rios,. TPWD can't even get Eastern to survival in East Tx where they historically did live much less in S Tx. Duval should have a 4 turkey limit which includes fall and spring seasons.

If they are new to the area you can bust them out of you mess with the roost area too much. They also can have totally different fall and spring ranges and might completely move out based on season, but usually people see them in the spring where they never have before. Having them show in the fall is a good indicator they might stay put if they have everything they need.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          They're like pigs, you got'em now. I'd shoot one if you want, they breed like rats.

Slice that breast across the grain into steak finger sized strips and chicken fry, dang tasty. Throw the rest to the dogs.

This right here! Throw some good Cajun seasoning like Ragin Blaze on them and fry them like steak/chicken fingers! Beast Turkey I’ve ever eaten. Will blow you away how much better it is over store bought turkey breast.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                            For the first ten years that we had our ranch, we'd occasionally see a hen, but that was it. We started seeing some gobblers about 10 years ago and set up a dedicated turkey feeder with milo and started mixing milo with the corn in some of the other feeders. We now have huntable numbers in the spring. Was it the milo? I don't know, but it seems to be.
                            May be the case here. We have grained heavily, always. While the deer hunting is decent, we are primarily concerned with bird hunting and have fed as such.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                              Huh?? That wasn't a very SMART answer Those are Rios,. TPWD can't even get Eastern to survival in East Tx where they historically did live much less in S Tx. Duval should have a 4 turkey limit which includes fall and spring seasons.

If they are new to the area you can bust them out of you mess with the roost area too much. They also can have totally different fall and spring ranges and might completely move out based on season, but usually people see them in the spring where they never have before. Having them show in the fall is a good indicator they might stay put if they have everything they need.

Saw hunting in Livingston and NW Houston in his description at quick glance. Totally read past Duvall county ranch....doh!

Dark tail tips and very dark wings without the typical light stripes (may be the lighting in the pic) had me thinking Easterns. You win the internet today ...congrats...

Comment

Working...
                              X