New Lease In Bee County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Lease In Bee County

Does anyone hunt in Bee County? We found a new, year round lease with a camp house on the property. I’ve been out there once to turkey hunt it and was very impressed with the country. Huge oak trees, live creek bottoms, lots of cover. It’s a far cry from the place in Webb county that we are leaving but it’s closer to my dad and we won’t have to stay in a hotel in freer all season anymore.

Does anyone have any info of the area or tips on how to hunt this new country? It’s going to be the first time in a while that I’m setting up bow setups instead of just rifle setups. I’m fairly excited to be able to bow hunt again

acorns are your enemy.

Comment

That black mud will swallow a 4x4

Comment

I hunt a small place in Bee county, we get a few good deer every year nothing huge.

Comment

So would setting up in a big thicket of oaks and hunting the acorns be a viable option? If they aren’t coming to corn then I’ll have to go to them. What time of year do they usually start dropping?

Comment

I'd set up on an edge that you can get to with the least disturbance.

Comment

It is a pretty county. Not near as harsh as Dimmitt, Webb, Duval etc. It depends where in the county you will be but there are some great deer in certain areas. Seen a couple 180" deer come out of that area but I would imagine most trophy bucks will be 135-155".

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                So would setting up in a big thicket of oaks and hunting the acorns be a viable option? If they aren’t coming to corn then I’ll have to go to them. What time of year do they usually start dropping?
                I hunted in refugio for a long time. I love that country, but the deer just don't come to feed like they do down south. the problem I had was when you have thousands of acres of oak mott.. which one do you go to

Comment

The Bee/Rufugio county line runs right through the middle of our lease, good deer in the area if you feed and let them grow to 6.5+. Lots of oaks so bow hunting is tough for sure. Killed lots of 150-175 deer over the years and one 31 inches wide.

Comment

What part of the county ? We hunt about 5 miles southwest of town. Most mature bucks are 130-140 occasionally 150's but you gotta get them to 6-7 years old. On the Refugio side they get bigger 180's.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
                      What part of the county ? We hunt about 5 miles southwest of town. Most mature bucks are 130-140 occasionally 150's but you gotta get them to 6-7 years old. On the Refugio side they get bigger 180's.

North of 202 between Beeville and Refugio. Blanco creek and Arroyocita creek run through the property from what I can tell. Some GIANT oak trees and lots of turkeys from the single time I’ve been out there. Quite a few hogs too

Comment

Good Luck to Y'all!

Comment

Every time I hear of Bee County I think of Ratterrier. He was a legend here. He used to feed those deer Antlermax and kill the biggest deer in the county. He didn’t take no mess and didn’t have time for any boat captains either.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                            Every time I hear of Bee County I think of Ratterrier. He was a legend here. He used to feed those deer Antlermax and kill the biggest deer in the county. He didn’t take no mess and didn’t have time for any boat captains either.

I just went back and looked up some of his threads. Wow!! Guy was a character

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                              Exactly! He had no use for boat captains (who knows why?), and he would not lease to them. He was a different sort of dude!

Comment

Working...
                              X