Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone dealing with neuropathy not related to diabetes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone dealing with neuropathy not related to diabetes?

I’ve been dealing with neuropathy in my left foot for a few years now and it is only getting worse. Docs don’t know the cause even after lots of tests. Half of my left foot is numb. On a daily basis I get the burning, stabbing, and/or the lightning bolt pains. They don’t shoot down my leg, but I do get really bad full foot cramps. Sometimes for a couple of hours non-stop, and then the cramp moves up my leg.

So, here is my question. Have any of you found something that relieves the pain?

My doc put me on gabapentin but it changed my personality so he switched me to amitriptyline daily. I’ve tried all kinds of pain pills and over the counter stuff. The pain pills just make me not care about the pain, not stop it. All of the over the counter treatments have either had zero effect or very minimal effect. I’m just tired of being in pain every...... day.......

The wife deals with diabetes related neuropathy, it deals her much misery, I honestly do feel for you! You might try cutting out all sugar for 30 days (much easier said than done) just to see if that gives you any form of relief, more and more studies are showing that sugar is the prime culprit for inflammatory diseases.
    Have heard all the reports about cbd oil but have no first hand experience.

Comment

I have nueropathy in both feet from a back surgery at the L5/S1 due to a bacterial infection. And add in Spondy and I deal with it day and night.

I have tried everything and a combination of Diclofenac Sodium and Lidocaine ointments (5%) I get enough relief to call it relief! The ointment is compounded.

I know what my issue is and the solution is not an easy fix. My L5/S1 just has lot going on and the insurance company will not pay for the surgery to correct the issue. I just deal with it and have for years. I am 57 yoa...a lifetime of this is mind numbing!

God luck and I hope you find some relief!

Comment

Have the docs checked for poor circulation?

Comment

Originally posted by gekko man View Post
          I have nueropathy in both feet from a back surgery at the L5/S1 due to a bacterial infection. And add in Spondy and I deal with it day and night.

I have tried everything and a combination of Diclofenac Sodium and Lidocaine ointments (5%) I get enough relief to call it relief! The ointment is compounded.

I know what my issue is and the solution is not an easy fix. My L5/S1 just has lot going on and the insurance company will not pay for the surgery to correct the issue. I just deal with it and have for years. I am 57 yoa...a lifetime of this is mind numbing!

God luck and I hope you find some relief!

I am in a similar situation in that the insurance company doesn’t want to pay for any more tests to find out exactly what is causing all of this. Mine is not back related. I’ve had 3 MRIs of my back and all is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
            Have the docs checked for poor circulation?

Yep. And it’s good.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
              The wife deals with diabetes related neuropathy, it deals her much misery, I honestly do feel for you! You might try cutting out all sugar for 30 days (much easier said than done) just to see if that gives you any form of relief, more and more studies are showing that sugar is the prime culprit for inflammatory diseases.
              Have heard all the reports about cbd oil but have no first hand experience.

I’ll have to look into those studies.

Comment

I have it in my left foot as wel, makes for painful hunts on cold mornings. I'm on Gabapentin has helped me, sorry to hear it impacted your personality, which is worse, the pain or the change it created?

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                  I have it in my left foot as wel, makes for painful hunts on cold mornings. I'm on Gabapentin has helped me, sorry to hear it impacted your personality, which is worse, the pain or the change it created?

For me the pain was worse, but for my wife the personality change was worse. So far amitriptyline seems to be working about as good as what the gabapentin did. But here lately the cramps have been happening 3-4 days each week. That’s why I put this thread up. I hate taking the pain pills, and due to my job, I really can’t take them during the week.

Comment

My wife is prescribed lyrica, she says it lessens the discomfort but she definitely can tell it's still there, the side effects from it are not anything your family would want to live with either! Just putting it out there if you'd like to talk it over with your doc.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                      For me the pain was worse, but for my wife the personality change was worse. So far amitriptyline seems to be working about as good as what the gabapentin did. But here lately the cramps have been happening 3-4 days each week. That’s why I put this thread up. I hate taking the pain pills, and due to my job, I really can’t take them during the week.
                      Yeah, its a miserable thing to deal with. I have similar sharp, numb, craziness pains going on in my foot like you, cramps and all. My little toe will stick out away for all my other toes when the cramps kick in, I'm tired of it. But life goes on, gotta feed the family, fish , hunt, etc. It becomes a mental game, you have to beat it from getting you down, at least I do. I have to force my self to get up and get active or else it ruins me. Tramadol helps on the really bad days, but just takes the edge off.

Comment

Both feet. Got it during my chemo sessions in 2009-2011. It's gotten a little better but still can't walk barefoot on most surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Both feet. Got it during my chemo sessions in 2009-2011. It's gotten a little better but still can't walk barefoot on most surfaces.
                          I deal with it from diabetes and like Bobby, chemo worsened it. My oncologist prescribed Lyrica and I filled the one month supply at $250 and never took one of them. I use a supplement called Nerve Renew. It is a bunch of different B vitamins and R-Alpha Lipoic Acid. I've tried to quit it but it works for me and pain got bad so I keep taking it. I've been using it since 2012. FYI, I have nothing to do with the company and don't use any other supplements they offer.

Comment

I can’t walk barefoot because it’s painful to do so, unless it is carpet with thick padding. When my foot cramps up, like it is doing right now, the toes curl under my foot. They curl so far that I can’t stand on it to forcibly straighten the toes out.

I’ll have to look into Nerve Renew. A drawer in my night stand has several creams and lotions that I have tried and they didn’t work. However, with this pain I am willing to try something else.

Comment

No barefeet for me either, can't wear flip flops anymore as well.
                              Bill M thanks for the Nerve Renew recommendation, going to try it.

My wife did some research and did find the Vitamin B on a regular basis will help with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X