No announcement yet.

Hospitals with antivenom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nurse friend told us there is an app that shows real time availability. I don't remember the name but its out there. Just because a hospital typically has inventory, doesn't mean they do when you need it

Comment

^^^I think its called snakebite 911

Comment

Finally something I think I can get near where I hunt in Sweetwater.

Comment

Dang Matt, I was thinking you got zapped by a snake when I first read that. Hope you did not.

Unless you get hit in the neck, face or chest, or you are allergic to the venom, it should not kill you. I have been popped once, everyone I told about the deal said it had to be a dry bite. I was on a farm about 10 miles west of Kennedy, back in the 80s, I was about 15 at the time. No form of transportation, other than I guess I could have stole Mr. Johnsons tractor. I did not think about that at the time. I spent a lot of time trying to decide if I should break the glass on their kitchen door to get in and use there phone. They were out of town for the week, of all weeks for them to be gone.

I sat around for hours waiting for the bite to get worse, it never did. The pain finally faded, all was good by that evening. Definitely scared the crap out of me. I will never forget that very high speed buzz and then loud pop.

Comment

I would think Brady ER or Hill Country Memorial in Fredericksburg or San Angelo possibly Ballinger going the other way. I would call the nearest med facilities in your area and ask.

Also definitely carry medical evac ins like MASA it’s super cheap and will cover the cost of getting your rear from the sticks to where you need to be

Comment

You ain't gonna get bit unless you're stupid.....

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                You ain't gonna get bit unless you're stupid.....
                STUPID? Come-on Traildust, That is a stupid reply. You know it can happen to anyone walking in the woods.

Comment

I have a friend that got bit last year and they treated him in San Angelo. Walked outside to feed the dogs at night and stepped on one with crocs on.

Comment

Mason, Brady, llano, San Saba, Goldthwaite , junction , Menard, Fredericksburg , all have it either at the hospital or emergency clinics

Comment

I’ve grown up in the country and have killed countless of rattlesnakes you are most likely to get hit on your hand than leg or ankle.

Comment

Quickly find hospitals near you that stock CroFab (crotalidae polyvalent immune fab [ovine]) for effective treatment of North American pit viper envenomation.

Just type in your location.

DJ

Comment

My wife got bit on the foot by a copperhead and the poor snake died.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                            If you get bit , I doubt the medical center would risk administration of the serum, I hear it’s got some major problems with side effects
                            My wife said the same thing last night regarding side effects.

Comment

My wife is the administrator of a rural TX hospital. Also had one of my employees get bit a few years ago. He got hit by a medium sized rattler curled up under a rose bush at his house. He got bit on th finger and the swelling went all the way up his arm to his shoulder. He said it took 11 doses to get him back on track and it was about $100K worth.

Anyways, lots of the rural hospitals have at least a few doses. Yes, each dose is expensive, and they can go out of date. And you may need quite a few doses, like 5-10. So most rural hospitals keep a few, but know what other hospitals around them have more. They pool together if needed. They have enough on hand for initial treatment but can get more transferred in quickly. The regional medical centers will have more. At least that is how it works up here. Saves overhead and helps to keep from having some much stock that goes out of date.

Lots of variation in snake bites and how people react to them. From nearly nothing to very serious.
                              Last edited by Jethro; 05-04-2021, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                                My wife said the same thing last night regarding side effects.
                                My father is allergic to it , or at least when it was made from horse blood

Comment

Working...
                                X