Swordfish Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swordfish Bill

Any ideas on how to clean/prep a swordfish bill so you can bleach it. I have read that they are very oily.

I was thinking about making a tube out of PVC to soak it in.

A water solution in: Borax??????

Any thoughts?

BFree

I have no idea but I can strongly advise you to not bleach it. Bleach will eat at it for years and eventually disintegrate it. It will not be white, either.

I can ask my taxi how he does my hog skulls. Depending on air temperature, it can take a few weeks or a few months, but when I get it back they look great.

Comment

warm water and dawn liquid soap - let it soak. change water out every week till no more oil shows in the water. Then numerous clean water rinses to get rid of all the soap. Let it dry. If you want to whiten it then use peroxide not bleach

Comment

Get the hair whitening stuff from Sally's hair place. Its two parts, liquid and a powder. After soaking in dawn, let it dry and smear that stuff all over it and set it in the sun, rise and repeat until its white enough for you.

Comment

That's it - isn't is called "Clear Volume 40" or something like that?

Comment

Following along. I have a bill from a sail fish I caught in Belize I want to do something with.

Comment

i think I would talk to a taxidermist.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                i think I would talk to a taxidermist.
                Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                warm water and dawn liquid soap - let it soak. change water out every week till no more oil shows in the water. Then numerous clean water rinses to get rid of all the soap. Let it dry. If you want to whiten it then use peroxide not bleach

He just did (well only for the last 47 years)

Comment

Trust this advice

Comment

You gotta catch it first Bryan [emoji6][emoji112]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bingo

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                      You gotta catch it first Bryan [emoji6][emoji112]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      Here we go!! Venice in April this year...
                      Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the advice here. I will post some pics of the process and how it turns out.

Comment

Sword trip

Originally posted by bfree View Post
                          Here we go!! Venice in April this year...
                          Charlie

Steve and I thought we had a weather window this past Friday but it changed. Fingers crossed that the next one to be in two two weeks.................

Bfree

Comment

Good advice here. Dawn gets grease outta your way. And I love the PVC pipe container idea.

Comment

You can also have them sent off and painted or carved. Put it on the wall. Google it. I think you'd like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X