No announcement yet.

2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okra coming up. No clue how much okra one plant will produce. Probably will have to give a lot of them away as I read they need about 10" of space.
    Attached Files

Comment

Coons didn’t get all of it. Picked all of this Thursday. Put up 8 gallons and gave away the rest.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	BBBF3F10-3DA9-4DAF-8EAE-3AB66ACD7074.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	24653422

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        Okra coming up. No clue how much okra one plant will produce. Probably will have to give a lot of them away as I read they need about 10" of space.
        Just pickle it. Its the best!

Comment

Green beans are finally coming in. Jalapeño and banana peppers are close to harvest and I’ll pick my first zucchini this morning.
          This is my first year doing any kind of serious gardening and I’m having a blast. I get a kick out of going out every day and seeing the progress.

Comment

Ideas of sorting potatoes so they last longer? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
              Green beans are finally coming in. Jalapeño and banana peppers are close to harvest and I’ll pick my first zucchini this morning.
              This is my first year doing any kind of serious gardening and I’m having a blast. I get a kick out of going out every day and seeing the progress.
              From your pics of your garden looks like you have done well this year.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                From your pics of your garden looks like you have done well this year.

Thank you. It’s been a good experience and an educational one too.

I needn’t have worried about my bean, they are going strong and out producing everything else.

Tomatoes are loaded but they’re all still green. First to show fruit but slow to ripen.

Glad I only planted one zucchini. These things are crazy good growers. Puts out just enough to pick one every two days.

Beets won’t be ready till around the 19th. Got some bell peppers in the back of this tub, ^, they are just starting to flower and show fruit.

Sweet potatoes won’t be ready till around September.

Been using the herbs some. It’s real easy to over do it on fresh herbs.
                Got some basil, oregano, thyme and not pictured, rosemary.

It’s a small harvest but every day it produces something to eat.

Comment

What the heck is wrong with this zucchini plant? Three of the four are beautiful. This one was, but is now wilted terribly. It's not a lack of water. All four your see there have been getting the same. I watered it extra last two days and it's no better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                    What the heck is wrong with this zucchini plant? Three of the four are beautiful. This one was, but is now wilted terribly. It's not a lack of water. All four your see there have been getting the same. I watered it extra last two days and it's no better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Check for squash bugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are only about a month in here in Iowa. The people on the Iowa Vegetable Garden Facebook page called my wife a "Rebel" because she planted around the end of April. Most gardens up here are planted around Mother's Day.

My wife planted sunflower, marigolds, zinnias, cone flowers, and wildflowers on the first row.

She planted green beans, pole beans, Lima beans, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, green peas, spinach, kale, beets, radishes, koli rabi, onions, acorn squash, potatoes, giant pumpkins, and loofah. This is her first time planting loofah. Her loofah seeds came from Burma.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Does it matter when you harvest? Morning or evening?

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                          Does it matter when you harvest? Morning or evening?
                          I like to get my picking done in the morning but when you have one my size, can’t get it done by morning. So stuff I pick like corn, beans, and peas in the afternoon, you have to dump them out and spread out and let the heat escape and let them cool off. If you leave them in a bucket or bag, they’ll sweat bad and when you go to shell them, they will be all mushy. I do it in the mornings as well. They will hold heat but not as bad as the ones you pick in the afternoons.

Comment

Let my produce fall to the way side minus my cantaloupe and watermelon, but we have been having some nice bouquets out of the flower patch.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                              Let my produce fall to the way side minus my cantaloupe and watermelon, but we have been having some nice bouquets out of the flower patch.

Those look great, are you able to sell them all?

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                                Those look great, are you able to sell them all?

Sold 18 bouquets and 5 bundles of sunflowers today. Hopefully I’ll sell 12 more tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X