Cottonseed help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed help

Calling around to local feed stores they either carry the cottonseed meal or cottonseed hulls (4% protein)... I’ve never fed cottonseed before and what I see everyone using is “whole cottonseed” right? Do they sale that at fees stores or only at the gin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speer Ag in Uvalde sells whole cottonseed in 50# bags through certain feed stores. You might try their website to find a distributor near you. It's a lot more expensive in sacks than bulk though.

Comment

Full cotton seed and you will be hard pressed to find any this late after harvest (usually October). was a poor crop, rained heavy in September which lead to cotton un-harvested. Personally, wouldn’t mess with it bagged, your not saving much over pellet style.

Comment

If you find some at a feed store, I would just buy a few bags to see how your deer will take to the cottonseed. It took my deer 6 months to decide they liked it.

Comment

Huntsville farm and feed sells cottonseed in bags. I see your in college station so that’s not too far. As deerwatcher said, just buy a little at a time till they start eating it. I just started a few months back and they have barely touched it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by cstephenson44 View Post
            Huntsville farm and feed sells cottonseed in bags. I see your in college station so that’s not too far. As deerwatcher said, just buy a little at a time till they start eating it. I just started a few months back and they have barely touched it yet.
            Yeah I called them, $15 a bag in huntsville and $16 a bag in Madisonville.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
              Yeah I called them, $15 a bag in huntsville and $16 a bag in Madisonville.
              If you find it cheaper anywhere else let me know. I could have sworn it was 12.50 a bag last time i got it in Huntsville.

Comment

Originally posted by cstephenson44 View Post
                If you find it cheaper anywhere else let me know. I could have sworn it was 12.50 a bag last time i got it in Huntsville.
                At those prices we said looks like it'll be just corn for us this year. May try cottonseed come January....

It's only $9 for 55# in mexico lol

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                  If you find some at a feed store, I would just buy a few bags to see how your deer will take to the cottonseed. It took my deer 6 months to decide they liked it.
                  6 months is actually pretty quick. It's a slow learning curve.

Comment

Bar C in Athens has it, I believe it’s $12 a 50# bag. Took the deer about a month to eat the first 50# and now it’s 50# a week.

Comment

Working...
                    X