6.5 CM Ammo Comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 CM Ammo Comparisons

What's the difference in the ELD-M, ELD-X, and AMAX? I know what Hornady says, but does anyone use the match grade and AMAX to hunt?

6.5 CM Ammo Comparisons

Not sure!! But, I just had a 6.5 made for my wife at Horizon. We are shooting the ELDx or something (just got it today)

Soooo I’m following this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it says match grade, why consider hunting with it?

Comment

Not 100% sure, never used amax’s but I think the ELD’s have an interloc ring on the bottom half of the bullet that Helps hold the bullet together more so than an amax. Don’t think either are bonded. Also, the eld’s have some kind of different tip that is suppose to hold its shape at high velocities to improve accuracy and bullet drag. They have abnormally high BC’s compared to the field for same mass and cartridge too. As far as the difference between eldm and eldx, I don’t have a clue. I thought the “m” just meant “match” and they were manufactured to to tighter tolerance.

Comment

I shot a doe at 125 yds with Amaxs out of a 6.5 Grendel pass through, golfball size hole on exit. Mature doe about 125 pounds. No problems at all. Killed several hogs at 100-150 same result.

Comment

[ATTACH]929768[/ATTACH]

Comment

I bought a box of 143 ELD-X bullets in Hornady and they shot just under 2 inches at 300 yards. Not quite to my accuracy goal but good enough to hunt with.

Same poi at 300 as my hand loads as well. Good to know if I'm ever in a pinch for ammo and don't have time to stuff some.

Comment

To answer your question, at Creed velocity I don't see much difference between shooting the M or X bullet in the hornady line. At higher velocities the X will hold up better than the M with its slightly thicket jacket and small interlock ring.

I will say this at very high magnum velocities and close range say under 200 yards the X will shed most of weight down to the base. I recovered a 162 from a hog that was shot at 3150 MV which likely weighed about 50 grains. I had similar results from the berger at close range and MV over 3k.

Comment

So, would y'all hunt with AMAX bullets?

Comment

Not Creedmoor, but shot a javi with the 130gr Berger hybrid out off my grendel. It was at about 100 yards and it performed well. Big exit hole!!

Comment

I wouldn't. I have seen a ton of people that have. I am not a fan.

Comment

I shoot the 143 ELD-X. Factory loads were Sub MOA in my Bergara. Tried to duplicate the average MV of the factory stuff with handloads and actually shrank it a tad bit more. Like mentioned above, good to know that in a pinch I can grab some factory stuff and know it will perform.

Comment

Lot of animals killed with the Amax bullet. There is a difference between the ELD-X and the M. The M is truly a match bullet and the X is the hunting bullet. I like the ELD-X for bigger animals like oryx, elk, etc.

The Superformance with SST’s are a great choice.

Comment

I have killed a few does and hogs witb a 75 grain a max and an 80 grain m I'm my 22-250ai.

They're explosive and really tragic on head shots as well as chest. I wouldn't trust them on a large deer at long range as there's better out there.

I'm most calibers the x covers most any desired weigjt so I see not gain in shooting the m.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot a Pronghorn couple weeks ago with the 143 eld-x and it came apart and did not exit, only part I found was bottom copper cup in opposite hyde. shot was 177yds, I'm shooting HL's RL26 @2848fps. He was DRT but a little disappointed in bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X