Wind direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind direction

Been thinking alot lately about wind direction in relation to bow hunting. Alot of guys who have success killing mature deer every year claim a lightbulb went off when they started to understand how well the deer use wind to their advantage. What are yalls thoughts on wind and opinions on hunting even when the wind "is not right"

Depending on where you hunt, morning thermals carry wind up and away from your tree. So that makes my sets in Oklahoma able to be hunted in any wind direction in the morning but not so much in the evening. I'm in for this discussion though.

I use Wunderground https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...=localwx_10day and click "10 day forecast", to watch the wind direction and plan my sits accordingly. It will break down the wind direction by the hour and is very accurate. I notice MUCH more deer movement when the barometric pressure is rising or at its peak as a front is moving in or has already arrived and the BP is over 29.90+ and that typically happens with a change to a north wind. Its always important to have multiple sets for a north wind or a south wind at the same hunting spot. My .02

Comment

I would never even consider hunting a stand when the wind is wrong. That being said, an old smart deer is going to use his nose to determine his travels. Best chance at killing one is to have a marginal wind and find where he turns. No deer travels into the wind all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
        Depending on where you hunt, morning thermals carry wind up and away from your tree. So that makes my sets in Oklahoma able to be hunted in any wind direction in the morning but not so much in the evening. I'm in for this discussion though.

I use Wunderground https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...=localwx_10day and click "10 day forecast", to watch the wind direction and plan my sits accordingly. It will break down the wind direction by the hour and is very accurate. I notice MUCH more deer movement when the barometric pressure is rising or at its peak as a front is moving in or has already arrived and the BP is over 29.90+ and that typically happens with a change to a north wind. Its always important to have multiple sets for a north wind or a south wind at the same hunting spot. My .02
        Yup, exactly the way I hunt.

Comment

The only time I'll ever hunt a less than ideal wind is if it's raining, and I have to hunt in a pop up to keep dry. I've had some luck doing that and I guess it's a combination of the wet weather and then the pop up holding some scent in. I don't like to do it, but I like to hunt so it happens when it's rainy like it has been. I prefer to hunt from tree stands with a good wind though by far. I won't hunt at all if I have a big buck on camera and the wind is bad no matter the set up.

Comment

I dont hunt my best spots if the wind aint right. And the wind has to be right for the entire walk in to the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
              I dont hunt my best spots if the wind aint right. And the wind has to be right for the entire walk in to the tree.
              So even if the wind is not right for your access point you will not hunt?

Comment

Thermals are a little above my head as of now, however i am trying to start understanding them better (another reason i started this thread).

Comment

Originally posted by SETXbowhunter22 View Post
                  Thermals are a little above my head as of now, however i am trying to start understanding them better (another reason i started this thread).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you

Comment

No problem brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I set up my stands according to different wind directions. The wind direction always determines where I hunt...always.

Comment

i have been hunting west texas for years now, but it has been with a gun in a box blind. I have been able to kill mature deer almost every year. i am starting to bow hunt here in east texas so im starting to consider alot of these variables that typically i would pay little to no attention too.

Comment

IMO, wind is the single most important variable to put into the bow hunting equation. If the wind is not right for your set up the deer are going to bust you..........99 times out of 100. You may get by with it, but not likely.

Comment

A deer doesn't truly trust it's ears or it's eyes but it always trusts it's nose. It takes a deer hearing or seeing some thing twice to spook it but it only needs to smell you once and it's gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X