ASA Rules and Shooting Format Changes for 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASA Rules and Shooting Format Changes for 2013

The following rules and shooting format changes were announced at the ASA State Directors meeting this past weekend in Cullman, Alabama.

1. The 14 ring will no longer be in play for any ASA shooting classes. The 14 ring will still be used in the Pressure Point Shootdown at ASA Pro/Ams.

2. The lower 12 ring will be in play on all targets for all classes at all times. Shooters may call the upper 12 ring if he or she chooses to do so. When the upper 12 is called that will take the lower 12 out of play on that target for that shooter. The group MUST acknowledge the shooters request to score the upper 12.

3. There will be a separate Semi Pro class and Open A class at ASA state level events. There will be a separate K50 class and K45 class at ASA state level events.

4. The same 20 McKenzie targets will be used on all ranges at all Pro/Am events in 2013. There will not be any targets rotated in and out of the ranges as done in the past couple of years. The list of targets for 2013 will be released in October. Some of the larger, more expensive targets will be dropped from the competition list. This will be more cost effective in the short term at the Pro/Am events and in the long term for ASA clubs.

That will definately make it interesting next year. Any word on the much rumored equipment regulation changes with respect to arrow diameter, stabilizer length/weight diameter for hunter & Bow Novice?

Comment

I heard the Ibex, the fallow and the standing bear were out at the Pro-Ams.
      Im bummed out the Mens' Open will be split back into semi-pro and Open A because the class is pretty small as it is now.
      We will have to set a 50 yard stake at the Qualifiers now, for the K50

Comment

I like it!

Comment

next year will interesting from what it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
            I heard the Ibex, the fallow and the standing bear were out at the Pro-Ams.
            Im bummed out the Mens' Open will be split back into semi-pro and Open A because the class is pretty small as it is now.
            We will have to set a 50 yard stake at the Qualifiers now, for the K50
            I was thinking same thing. I plan on going to Open A next year simply because Unlimited was so small. I may not gain anything by doing that now.

Comment

All low 12's works for me. Not that I was hitting them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                I was thinking same thing. I plan on going to Open A next year simply because Unlimited was so small. I may not gain anything by doing that now.
                We should stay hooked in unlimited. Everyone I talked to said they were staying at the pro/ams. Looks like a bunch of hunter class guys are moving up also.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett C View Post
                  We should stay hooked in unlimited. Everyone I talked to said they were staying at the pro/ams. Looks like a bunch of hunter class guys are moving up also.
                  I'd love to see that!! I really love shooting the pins. We definitely have some good shooters in Hunter that could do well in Unlimited and make it the strongest class overall!!

Comment

Can someone explain why the high 12s can be called. What is the benefit. I am confused. Serious ?.. Not being a jerk. unsure about it..
                    Hank

Comment

If a 12 ring is full, it's easy to hit another arrow and deflect out. Calling high 12's allows a shooter to rewarded by a good shot rather than penalized for 'bad luck'. Just my thoughts on it.....

Comment

So the K50 is no longer a pro known class? Can you win out of k45 and have to move into k50?

All low 12s and calling upper 12s is just silly IMO. Take away the upper and leave the 14 in play for every class that shoots further than 30 max. Surely there isn't that much target damage at the federation level to warrant removing it totally.

Comment

Originally posted by kgredraider View Post
                          If a 12 ring is full, it's easy to hit another arrow and deflect out. Calling high 12's allows a shooter to rewarded by a good shot rather than penalized for 'bad luck'. Just my thoughts on it.....
                          That certainly will benefit the ones who don't shoot first! Bush league rule IMO, unless the ring is called before the first arrow is shot.

Comment

Why? I think it's easier to hit a low 12 with an arrow already in it than an empty high 12. I'd rather aim at a reference point, but the risk of deflection is considerable. I just think it rewards a shooter for hitting an aiming point. That seems like the intent.

Comment

The Target cores will now have to be replaced more often. Once the lower 12 is shot out it is done. Glad to see the 14 gone. Would like to see all unkown except k50& k45. Bow novice should be 40 max. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X