No announcement yet.

The end of my trophy whitetail hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know you can pre-type and copy and paste right?..

Comment

I have nothing but time, carry on, "he who stuffs big, big deer".................

Rwc

Comment

Nothing else showed Saturday morning. We spent mid morning releasing frustrations on a pig and a turkey.

We did make a pass through the area where the buck lived. Andy had a new rifle in the truck so Jeremy told me to get it and follow him, just in case the buck was at the feeder.

He was one step ahead and was at a tank drinking. Caught both of us with out pants down ... Jeremy couldn't make a positive ID, and by the time I did, he was gone. Not to mention, I was stupid enough to not ready the rifle when we left the truck!

Time was running out and I wasn't sure if our schedules would align again to get me out there another weekend, so I made the call to sit in the tower with Jason and his rifle.

We got in early, just a little after 3. It was very uneventful until 5.15 when Jason spotted a lone deer, 300+ yards to our left, down an old seismic right of way. He had put hand corn from about 50 to 225 yards in hopes that the deer would follow the same path that he did Friday evening when he saw him.

He started closing the distance rather quickly and at about 250 yards we made a positive ID.

Then the adrenaline kicked in and the shakes started!

I got the rifle up and got comfortable, but he was still out of my comfortable shooting range. But, he was slowly working toward us, and we still had good light.

When he got to about 200 yards, he found the corn and he hung up. He ate. He turned. He ate. He turned. He ate. We watched him for 30 minutes. It was good because I had time to calm down. It was bad because light was fading and he was very near the spot where Jason saw him enter, the night before and he was afraid he might exit there tonight.

I asked Jason where the rifle hit at 200, and he said wherever you hold it. I told him that I wasn't going to let him leave.

I didn't have a solid rest so we jockied his chair around so that I could use it's back under my right elbow to get steady. I felt solid enough to take the shot and told Jason that as soon as he turned broadside again I was going to take the shot.

I held the elevation on his butt and waited for him to turn. When he did I told Jason to hold still, slowly swung over his body and when I got the crosshairs to his shoulder, squeezed the trigger.

I saw, what I thought was dirt fly. I thought I'd missed. Jason said, did you see ALL THAT BLOOD? He tried to run, but the edge of the brush like a bumper car, ran back into the middle of the sendero and fell.

10 seconds and it was over!

Comment

Wow! Congrats!

Comment

TBH is blocked at work ... I have to do this from my phone.
            Sorry for the delays, it's not intentional.

Comment

Comment

Congrats.................

Comment

Wahoo!!!! More LDPs!!!!

Congrats sir!!!!

Comment

great deer

Comment

Congrats, the END

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Comment

I was following other thread but glad to read the story. Congrats on a lifetime buck! Wow.

Comment

I really wanted this deer with my bow, but it wasn't going to happen this weekend. IF I'd been able to make it back, there's a chance that he could have been broken to pieces. Sometimes you just have to weigh your options and change plans on the fly.

We measured him that night and came up with 216 even. 47 1/8" of mass alone!

Los Cazadores gives a little different credit on tine length on the palmated antlers and the gave him 235 7/8"!

As for the title. There's no way I'm going to top this deer in this lifetime, and I don't even care to try. I dreamt of killing a deer in the 150s. Jeremy helped me shatter that with three deer over 170 and now this friggin monster. I'll never turn down his invites to come shoot a trash buck, doe, pig, ground hog, ardvark, or coon, but I'm totally content with this being my lifetime buck.

I can not thank Jeremy enough for all he has done for me.

For those of you that persevered...

Comment

The end of my trophy whitetail hunting.

Awesome write up, with dramatic pauses...deer isn’t too bad either! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X