Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealers make all their money in repairs not selling cars

Comment

6.2’s are known for torque converter issues. I doubt you need a new trans, maybe a few parts replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by KyleW View Post
        Because it is the dealership
        Not at a dealership. I’m at a Christian Brothers Auto next door that I’ve used for most all small things. Hence why this sounds so expensive. Doubt it’s in their willhouse of common fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
          6.2’s are known for torque converter issues. I doubt you need a new trans, maybe a few parts replaced?
          Hope that’s the case! Got a few shops to call in AM

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
            is the engine rpm climbing before the transmission engages and if so at what rpm does it happen, OR do you give it gas and then the engine catches and accelerates.
            The first only a few times. Maybe 2000-3000rpm. Sometimes going 60-70 I’ll go to pass someone and catch another gear really hard and snap my neck back with the kick. They said it should be a smoother transition into gears.

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
              The first only a few times. Maybe 2000-3000rpm. Sometimes going 60-70 I’ll go to pass someone and catch another gear really hard and snap my neck back with the kick. They said it should be a smoother transition into gears.
              My 2003 1500HD has done that due to cruise control input. Turned off the cruise and all was well.

You might want to rule out electrical gremlins before you buy a new transmission. Pay a shop to pull all codes, including transmission and 4x4, using the real GM factory (Tech 2) scan tool to see what is going on inside the transmission.

Lots of shops cannot afford a Tech 2 scanner. Insist on that high level of code reading to know if you can rule out electronic control module issues before you chase after mechanical issues.
              Last edited by banzai; 11-12-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Not at a dealership. I’m at a Christian Brothers Auto next door that I’ve used for most all small things. Hence why this sounds so expensive. Doubt it’s in their willhouse of common fixes.
                I gotcha, I misread the original post. Thought you said it was at the dealership.

Personally, I don't use Christian Brothers. I have gotten quotes from them before, and their pricing was very poor.
                There is a guy in Plano I use for stuff I don't do myself, have not been by there in a couple years. He did some engine work for my old truck and it was half the price of Christian Brothers. I don't know if they do transmission work but might be worth a call. http://www.reshautorepair.com/index.html

Comment

Christian Brothers Auto. Yea they are super high on all bids. Not sure if they are Christians or not but I think they use there name to take advantage of people, JMHO

Comment

they are screwing you go get your tr 8 hours for tb replacement???? what in the world????

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                      they are screwing you go get your tr 8 hours for tb replacement???? what in the world????
                      No, 8hrs quoted for transmission install. TB was only like an hour or so Labor

Comment

Dude run from those guys. They are super nice, and very clean shop, but man they are way high on price. I had my oil changed by them, once. I brought my own oil and filter, thinking can't be more than $50. I was out of the door well above $100.

They market to people who assume since Christian is in the name, the price has to be right. I get people using their $ to support things they care about, but I would put that money towards a church donation rather than those guys.

Comment

Details:
                          2012 Silverado 1500 (6.2L) with ~169,000 miles
                          I took it in to my local shop today to have the throttle body looked at knowing it would likely need to be replaced. I got the call that it needed the replacement and an air filter cleaning. Cost was $860 for throttle body. They then called me back and said when they were doing final testing and they had pressure buildup when accelerating before it kicked into gear. I have actually had it do that a few times to me where it revs up and then catches and snaps my neck back. They said it's possibly the transmission.

Long story short, they said after further diagnosis I'm going to need a new Transmission and that mine was available nearby and would be $6700 to install on top of the $860 I owe already for the TB replacement. (8hrs labor). Also wanted to fix rear seal while in there which I'm not sure they quoted.

That seems crazy high to me for a transmission. Research I've done looks like anywhere from $1200-2500 for Trans itself and then labor.

Questions:
                          1. The obvious, I need another opinion from a GM dealer correct?
                          2. Is it safe to drive to another Dealer/Service location?
                          3. Is that price accurate for a transmission with labor?
                          4. Is it time to cut my losses and get a new truck if cost is going to be that much?
                          I didn't have a note on it and was planning on driving this one till the wheels fell off...and now this!

May just need to get a new truck which I should be happier about but I had plans for some other things and not another car note.

Thanks for help and opinions guys...ugh
                          I don't know if this will help. Had to put in 3 transmission in my '02, I got is for 850 then had a guy put it in..

Comment

Buy a neck brace?

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                              I don't know if this will help. Had to put in 3 transmission in my '02, I got is for 850 then had a guy put it in..

https://powertrainpros.com/

They said they'd take my existing Tranny and rebuild it like new and ship back all for around $1950. Just don't have cores in house currently and would take 2-3 weeks to get back to me. Good to know pricing on rebuilt. Will try to find local place to do similar...

Comment

Working...
                              X