Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subdivision land owners in Rocksprings....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subdivision land owners in Rocksprings....

I'd like to hear your take on what it's like to own land in these "subdivisions" popping up all over Rocksprings. I'm wanting to pull the trigger on a "Piece of Texas" near RS, but I'd like to hear first hand accounts of any issues, good or bad you've experienced since becoming a land baron in the RS area. Thanks gents

Tagged for replies. My brother is looking at buying a similar place out in Val Verde county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We just purchased 100 acres off of Snodgrass rd on 41, we just attended our first subdivision homeowners meeting and I think it went very well. We have a couple of high fence places within the subdivision and that seemed to be most of the conversation. It was more about giving out the gate code to people who are not living there. But as far as a great community and very nice neighbors it appears that everyone has a management mindset for each other. I have seen a lot of animals. I have lease hunted all my life and you shot what you saw. I have sat in the stand four times and have yet to kill a deer, that’s because I don’t feel pressured to have to pull the trigger. Our property is the smallest tract all the f the others are From 125-800 acres. It was great to meet all of the neighbors and exchanged phone numbers. I truly love the place just check it out prior to buying. Best of luck there is a 272 acres place for sale just up from our place. Just saying ��

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We just purchased 100+acre tract in Val Verde and this will be our first general hunting season. As of right now there are no plans to harvest any bucks. My first perception is the management IQ amongst the other neighbors is not what I'm use to. I've been able to confirm that no one is pulling jaws to verify age and mostly the age claims I'm getting are based off visual "on the hoof" estimations. The only neighbor (great people!) I've talked to claimed he doesn't shoot young deer actually had a guest of his drop the hammer on a distinct buck I had pics of last week. He was an 11 estimated at 3.5 but nothing to lose sleep over. Especially since they were excited about which makes me happy. With that said I'm hoping I'm wrong but from what I see the average age class of my local bucks group is low with high doe numbers. This could be a result of what I consider laxed management practices by surrounding hunters.

Camera pulls from July to October:
          9 distinct bucks with brows (minus 1 confirmed kill)
          5 distinct bucks without brows
          4 distinct spikes
          3 distinct fawns
          19 does (estimation of camera and field counts)

Out of all of the deer, I have 2 does that are easily 8+ in age and my oldest distinct buck is estimated field judged at 4-1/2. My plan is to manage in such a way that I even the ratio and raise the age group of my bucks. My approach is if the "talent" on my property gets killed on the other side of fence then it gets killed. I'm mainly going to see if I can manage a small property, practice heavy land stewardship, and progress the flora and fauna beyond the first year of ownership. I think the mindset of others around me are that you are wasting your time trying to manage a small property and if you have a good one you better kill before the neighbor does hahaha. Luckily this is mainly an investment piece for me that has features I am going to enjoy upgrading. I like the challenge, like the variety of game, the ecosystems, and terrain so that's a bigger deal to me then killing right now. I don't think fractal land is for everyone but so far I'm glad I took the leap. If I'm able to produce positive results then I think my next step will be to validate my practices to surrounding neighbors and help educate what I know and continue to learn. In due time it would be great to develop an association amongst neighbors but I feel like it's best I practice good discipline for my place first, give back to the land, see what comes from it, then document the progression. If it yields positive results then I think it will be easier for me to open the eyes of other and sell them on changing the local culture.
          Last edited by ThePecosBilly; 11-12-2018, 09:19 PM. Reason: editing

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm also looking into and thinking about getting some land out there.

Comment

Thanks for all the info gents. I'm viewing several places just NW outside of RS tomorrow so hope all goes well. Thanks again gents.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                Thanks for all the info gents. I'm viewing several places just NW outside of RS tomorrow so hope all goes well. Thanks again gents.
                The ones about 10 miles out on 55?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

subscribed. Been eyeballing some of the smaller 15-40 acre places in that area.

Comment

My experience with small tract neighbors that tell you they’re “mgmt minded” is that they want you to not shoot bucks so they can.

Comment

I know a guy that bought a place around there. Spent the weekend out there one time. What I found out, everybody that bought their "ranch", paid way more than what it's worth.
                      I mean, other than huntin on it, you can't do anything with it. Can't farm it. Can't cut hay or run cattle. It's all rock!!!
                      Somebody got RICH!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X