Antique auto mechanic in the Houston area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antique auto mechanic in the Houston area

Seems like I keep turning to the TBH braintrust more and more so here's another question for y'all.

This summer I bought a '49 chevy 3100 and have been working on it, replacing just about everything besides the body and some of the glass. I've got it to a point where it runs and drives, it just doesn't run well.....

Being as I have never worked on something like this I was thinking of taking it to a shop that is familiar with these trucks or just old cars in general to fix a few issues, engine overheating and carb not running right. I'm a broke college student so I don't wanna take it to some high end antique place and was hoping y'all would have some recommendations for somewhere in the BCS/Houston area.

Here's an obligatory pic for those who wanna see.
    Attached Files

I think you should save your self some money and diagnos the over heating issue. Part of the fun owning an old truck like that is fixing them. There rather simple. Is the radiator clean? Looks like a cool truck

Comment

That’s about as simple as it gets to work on. I’d get on YouTube and get after it.

Comment

in line six ?? 235.. ????
        Check to see, if it has a thermostat in it...…………
        Those old engines, were known as a hot water six...…….
        But they "must" have a thermostat...……
        I had a 52...… Cool old trucks...………..

Comment

New Caney Customs in New Caney.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
            in line six ?? 235.. ????
            Check to see, if it has a thermostat in it...…………
            Those old engines, were known as a hot water six...…….
            But they "must" have a thermostat...……
            I had a 52...… Cool old trucks...………..
            Yes Sir, its got a 235 in it, but not the original motor, not sure on the new engines year though. As some of the previous replies suggested, I have been searching for videos and up to this point have done everything myself. But since I'm in college I can only come home on the weekends which doesn't leave me much time to trouble shoot, hence why I'm trying to find someone more experienced. I'm sure its a simple problem but just don't wanna spend a bunch of time on it. I took it for a spin to Buc-ees today to fill it up with ethanol free and it was pushing 220 on the thermostat which is the gauges max.

That and so I don't have a pretty blue boat anchor sitting in my dads shop.

Comment

No help on a mechanic, but you can get along ways with a vacuum gauge, timing light and YouTube on these old trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are not rich, the only way to own an old vehicle is to fix it yourself. I know that when you get stumped by a problem it is tempting to pay someone to solve it. The problem with that is finding the person who actually knows how to work on what you have and is willing to do it.

Unless you see a bunch of parts-only cars and trucks similar to yours in the back yard, the shop is usually going to quote you high then watch youtube and replace a bunch of parts in a shotgun approach to finish the job fast. They may or may not use the correct 1949-type parts, if you care.

If you are going to keep that truck long term, you will have to find a good website that specializes on your truck that has a handful of old guy members who are subject matter experts and know that exact truck, inside and out, down to the finest detail, kind of like TBH for bowhunting. You will learn their names and hopefully make friends with them.
                You will also find parts sources that can provide parts that you need.

Sometimes, solving a problem on your truck will force you to become the expert on that system for your truck. You will have to lots of research how and why the truck was designed a certain way, and how to troubleshoot the problem step by step. Every tough problem will force you to become an expert on that part of your truck. Over time you will learn them all if you keep the truck long enough.

Do you know the physics behind how the cooling system works? Can you test every single component to see if that is working correctly, at cold start, during warm up, at operating temperature, under light load, under heavy load, outside temps in the 40's vs 105 degrees, etc.

Same with the carb. Many people do not know the basics of how how a carb works, every circuit, under all different driving conditions. Plus there are tricks that people know to save time during troubleshooting that are not in any book or video, that you learn only by talking to knowledgeable people.

If you want, send me a PM and I'll help you teach yourself by solving one problem. After that you can use the same process on the next problem because with an old vehicle, there is always a next problem.

Who knows, if you get really good at fixing Chevy 3100's you might be able to make some side money or at least some new friends by helping others who can't handle their own repairs.

Comment

Dan, from a cold start, to warm-up can you see the water
                  circulating past the open radiator cap....(Be very careful) The water may not
                  be moving through the system to cool it...………..
                  Your water pump may not be working.....
                  Just an idea to check...….
                  The water pump, does have a weep hole on the bottom... But
                  sometimes they get plugged with rust and gunk... And you can't really
                  tell, the pump ain't pumping...…

btw---- you can buy a carb rebuild kit on-line...……….
                  And utube how to rebuild it...… Trust me.... you can do it....

Comment

I may know of a guy...hes in bcs

Comment

PM sent

Comment

This is where I'd start. Take the radiator to a shop and get it completely reconditioned. New water pump, and low temp thermostat.

Comment

Thanks y’all for the suggestions, I have rebuilt the carburetor twice so far, replaced the engine/radiator and while I’m sure it is a simple fix, with the tools I have, it’s a bit above my pay grade. I’m sure I could fix it eventually, I have about a million other projects that I need to be working on.

I’ll give the shops y’all recommend a call, I may get sticker shock and decide to do it myself, we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X