2015 F250 spare tire problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 F250 spare tire problem

I finally caught a nail from all the construction going on in my neighborhood and have a slow leak in my rear drivers side tire. Usually this would be a tiny problem as I would pull the spare from underneath and change it out. True to my luck, my little tiny worthless super very important specialized ford spare tire key is no longer in my glove box. I’m contemplating cutting the cable that holds the tire up to be rid of this problem forever. Not sure if the leak will have taken its complete toll by tomorrow morning or not.

Anyone know of a way around this little issue or should I just find a pair of bolt cutters or a torch and cut it down??

Go to the Ford dealership,they can get you the key $30-35

Comment

Are you talking about a bike style cable they threw around the frame and tire, or does ford use a specialized key to let the spare down to the ground.
      If the first option, I had the key break off in my dodge so I took a pair of wire cutters and no big deal.

If the second option I would fill with air and drive to the ford house for a replacement key.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
        Are you talking about a bike style cable they threw around the frame and tire, or does ford use a specialized key to let the spare down to the ground.
        If the first option, I had the key break off in my dodge so I took a pair of wire cutters and no big deal.

If the second option I would fill with air and drive to the ford house for a replacement key.

Special key that’s year specific. I didn’t know the ford place had them on hand

Comment

Is the key not on your fob?
          Thats where my F150 spare tire key is.
          Same on a buddys F250

Comment

Originally posted by longhorn_cop View Post
            Same on a buddys F250

No this is a different part that you attach to the black rod to winch the tire down from the frame

Comment

Originally posted by longhorn_cop View Post
              Same on a buddys F250

It’s a metal cylinder that resembles a socket. Have to have it to get the spare down and there is no other option that doesn’t include damage.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If you have an air compressor, jam a plug in your leaking tire and then take the truck to Ford to get the key for your spare.

Comment

Go to dealership to lower spare, then get two flat head screwdrivers and pop the lock out and then you never have to worry about the key again. Very simple once the tire is out of the way

Comment

Originally posted by Clintk View Post
                    Go to dealership to lower spare, then get two flat head screwdrivers and pop the lock out and then you never have to worry about the key again. Very simple once the tire is out of the way
                    Works like a champ

Comment

The dealership MAY have a set of master keys.

Comment

I had the key that came with my truck but it didn’t work. Cordless drill and a 1/2” bit made short work getting to my spare

Comment

if it will hold air long enough to go to the dealer, then put air in it and go get the tire fixed at a tire shop and then worry about the key later

Comment

Working...
                          X