Hitch adapter for 4 wheeler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitch adapter for 4 wheeler?

Last year I bought a used Grizzly 550. I occasionally tow a utility trailer or a cultipacker at the lease. With the stock hitch/ball, turning - and especially backing - is a pain. Turning radius is minimal without jacknifing. I'm thinking I need to add a 2" adapter and an extender of some kind. Any suggestions? How long does the extender need to be?

Getting it behind the rear tires will help a lot. Do you have any pics of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Getting it behind the rear tires will help a lot. Do you have any pics of it?
      No pic but the ball is way up under there just a few inches behind the rear axle. I also have a basket on the back that sticks out quite a bit.l

Comment

Not sure if this will work for you, but this is what I use. You can pick it up at Northern Tool.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ACCURACYINC; 07-08-2020, 08:58 AM. Reason: ...

Comment

I figured so. You have to be careful extending those things too far, just because of how they are built. It seems the receiver is an afterthought on a lot of those quads, and even a solidly built extention puts a ton of leverage on the factory setup. Doesn't mean it can't be done though. Without a view to see about possible custom options, I might start at Northern Tool, they have an abundance of adapters/extensions, and such.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I think it will take 8-10" to get the ball out beyond the tires. I'll check out Northern Tool

Comment

Does it have the stock hitch on it? If so you can weld a 2 in reciever tube on it and get the whatever length receiver you want. Just did this to my grizzly 450. Works great . When I get home ill send you a couple pics

Comment

Yep, if you get it to far out away from the axle, it will change the weight distribution on your tow rig. I use mine to tow boats and trailers in and out the back yard. And put a receiver hitch on with an inverted 4" drop and ball. Made the front end very light when I hooked up the boat. Have to be careful not to pop wheelies.

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Strong Made Yamaha Grizzly 550/700 4x4 Receiver Hitch RH112

This is on Amazon. I have zero experience with it, but Dale might be able to Fab up something way stronger than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post

This is on Amazon. I have zero experience with it, but Dale might be able to Fab up something way stronger than this.
                    I don't think he can.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post

I looked that up on Amazon, it’s a nice piece. Would be a great starting point for what you want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                        I don't think he can.

It could be improved upon...[emoji1360]

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          It could be improved upon...[emoji1360]

If anyone could out do a welding project. It will be Dale.

Comment

This how the stock hitch looks.

This receiver is made for the Grizzly. Combined with this I’m thinking just a standard hitch - no extender - will put the ball far enough back where the trailer tongue won’t rub the tires on sharper turns

Last edited by jerp; 07-12-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X