Headed To Skull Creek Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed To Skull Creek Ranch

I'm excited to say I planned a trip to Skull Creek ranch for a hog hunt for me and six other friends. I will say I talked with other ranches about hunts and this ranch was by far the easiest to work with . With all that being said I would like to hear from those of you who have been there . Any tips , your experience , any need to knows. We booked a weekend hunt and should be a mixed bag of guns and bows. Cant wait, hope this turns out to be something we can plan once or twice a year . Thanks for any feedback

Good Luck

Comment

Good luck, post a review when y'all get back, been considering going there

Comment

How was it?????

Comment

will not be going until the end of Feb, will post a review when I get back

Comment

vinnyv99, I'm going this weekend. I'll let you know.

Comment

In for results & update.

Comment

My two cents:
                -Pass on the General Day Hunt (signs of hogs, but didn't see any)
                -I'll go back for the Game Fence Hunt! Lots of hogs. Owner actually let loose over a hundred hogs while we were hunting.
                -Undoubtedly some would argue the place is not "fair chase", but we had plenty in our group that did not bring home a hog (myself included - my excuse is my string broke at the beginning of the hunt)...A couple hogs were not recovered in our group because of shot placement (and were lost in the brush)
                -Don't waste your time sitting too long in any one stand. The more effective (and fun for me) strategy is to hand corn some spots, and then just walk to those spots and the feeders - The Game Fence Hunt area is small, but not too small
                -We had a game plan for how we wanted to hunt the property between the bowhunters and the gun hunters: it felt much safer to know we knew where the gun hunters were, and where the bowhunters were...it also helped that not all of us wanted to go all night.
                -We didn't see much activity at sunset and immediately after...the hogs have good amount of hunting pressure obviously and the ones that stay alive out there are adapting...we saw more hogs early in the morning, right as the sun was coming up than we did during and right after sunset
                -We had some in our group who hadn't hunted before, and who didn't bring everything they needed to effectively night hunt. If I had to do it again, I would encourage everyone gun hunting to have a red light mounted to their scopes. There was no reason for gun hunters to leave with empty coolers. For that matter, I would also encourage anyone who hasn't shot their weapon at night in a while or ever to do some practice in the dark with lights. There are lights under the feeders, but our group saw more hogs places we had corned up rather than the feeders. Much more success with us with spot and stalk.
                -The other cabin was booked, so we booked the Green Gates. No complaints with the lodging. Nice setup for hanging out and grilling, especially since a few guys came up and didn't hunt. The kitchen setup was better than I expected.
                - John was really nice to work with, and he was pretty hands off. He lets you provide direction about what you need. In other words, he was laid back, and helpful whenever we needed anything.

Let me know if I didn't address anything you are curious about. I am pretty new to hunting, but am pretty obsessed. I can't say I have too much experience for comparison, but I do have the passion.

Comment

Working...
                X