Looking for a free range bison hunt recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a free range bison hunt recommendations

A friend and I are looking for a free range bison hunt Recommendation. We found a hunt in Sonora. We want to bow hunt. I want the hunt to be as wild as a herd as possible. I’m Not set on any specific area. Both are wanting to take mature bulls. No way I’d consider a high fence for this specific hunt

Who has done this???

Watching this. I want to book this hunt also. There is a lot of gray area when it comes to “free range” bison hunting in other states. I’ve found that out while talking to people that have outfits in other areas.

Comment

I have not. But this sounds cool!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
        Watching this. I want to book this hunt also. There is a lot of gray area when it comes to “free range” bison hunting in other states. I’ve found that out while talking to people that have outfits in other areas.
        That’s what I understand also. I’m not against high fences. I hunted in them and will again but did this specific hunt I want to experience as wild as possible. I’d know someone on TBH has hunted then this wAy

Comment

Check out one of Doc Mays hunts. Pretty sure he did one. If I recall it was just off of Yellowstone. One of the original free ranging herds. Pretty cool read and I bet it would be a great hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
            Check out one of Doc Mays hunts. Pretty sure he did one. If I recall it was just off of Yellowstone. One of the original free ranging herds. Pretty cool read and I bet it would be a great hunt.
            I did that hunt near Jackson, Wyoming. Awesome experience but it’s a draw tag. I know there are some big ranches in Colorado and Nebraska that do bison hunts. I believe they are considered free range as well as those in BC. The Texas hunts will be ranch hunts. Lots of variety in how those go.

Comment

If you can get drawn for Arizona Bison hunt. You’ll have one amazing hunt. There are outfitters you can go through as well. They typically book up and are pricey. It’s just money.... Lol

Comment

You found true free range Bison in Sonora? I’d be surprised if you could find what you’re looking for anywhere in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  You found true free range Bison in Sonora? I’d be surprised if you could find what you’re looking for anywhere in Texas.
                  Sonora Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post

Sonora Mexico

Sounds like it would be a blast to hunt like you’re wanting to. I have no desire to hunt a fenced in Bison either, but what you’re looking for I wouldn’t mind doing myself

Comment

Fort Peck tribe sells a few hunts every year.

Comment

I have wanted to hunt some free range buffalo, but not ready yet. Last year Wyoming was wanting some of their herd thinned and offered them to the public. I was not really ready to take off to Wyoming, but would have done so. But then I got to reading farther into the deal, turns out it was only open to Wyoming residents. I have found some other nice sounding hunts up in that area of the country, that were also only open to residents of that state. Idaho had a wolf hunt, where they wanted some killed off, but after reading all of the info I found, turns out it was only open to Idaho residents.

Then I saw a video on a buffalo hunt on a indian reservation, during the winter. That would be different. Don't remember the story on that hunt, as to who was doing the hunting. I do think they were not tribes members, the guides I am pretty sure were tribes members.

So yes, I have been looking at the idea of a bison/buffalo hunt, sometime in the future. But have no interest in hunting them with a bow. I would sure love to kill a nice big bull and bring home a lot of fresh buffalo meat.

If you ever get to see a big old bull up close, in person, they are pretty awe inspiring. They are big, fast and very agile. They can hurdle a barbed wire fence around 40 mph. They can just walk up to a fence and jump over it. I have had to heard buffalo and get them back onto the property they were supposed to be on. Back when I could not walk for crap, at least one time the dominate bull, decided he was going to stand his ground and fight. While we were out walking a plowed field on foot, trying to heard him back to where he was supposed to be. He stood his ground and started throwing dirt. I thought I was going to get run over, but he eventually backed down and went back across the fence. Got to see them up in Yellowstone also.

There are a lot of buffalo herds out there, I would keep researching where they are and who offers hunts.

Comment

Wyoming, Utah and Arizona offer free range bison hunts and they are hard to get tags for.
                          We've taken 3 cow bison in Wyoming, holding out for a bull now.
                          Tags are hard to draw, pricey for NR and cow hunting is not like it was in the past.

My last cow was 4 1/2 years old, spouse's was 6 1/3 yrs old.
                          I would be happy to discuss our bison hunts if anyone wants info.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                            Wyoming, Utah and Arizona offer free range bison hunts and they are hard to get tags for.
                            We've taken 3 cow bison in Wyoming, holding out for a bull now.
                            Tags are hard to draw, pricey for NR and cow hunting is not like it was in the past.

My last cow was 4 1/2 years old, spouse's was 6 1/3 yrs old.
                            I would be happy to discuss our bison hunts if anyone wants info.
                            Y'all have some of the most awesome hunting stories of anybody on this site. I'd love to hear more about the buffalo hunt.

Comment

South Dakota offers hunts on some of the state parks, forests,etc. At least they used too, might check with game dept?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X