Square Body Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Square Body Help

Hey fellas , need some help ...my 84 square Body won't start ... replaced fuel filter , fuel pump, battery is hot , still nothing ...turns over but nothing ... sprayed either in air cleaner and it ran but then dies out quickly...ran good the other day feeding cows then now nothing ...any help would be appreciated

You sure there’s gas in the tank? Sounds like it’s not getting gas to the carb.

Comment

Yep put 4 more gallons in just in case

Comment

Look at ignition rotor

Comment

Sometimes there is more than one filter. Trace the fuel line from the tank to the engine compartment

Comment

Fuel problem for sure.

Comment

Fuel pumps were a major problem, very likely this is yours.

Comment

What about the sending unit ... possibly ?

Comment

First, remove the air filter assembly. Check to make sure that the accelerator pump puts a shot of gas out when you open the throttle. If it does, you are either flooded out with too much fuel, or it's a spark issue. No accelerator pump shot, it's a fuel supply issue. If it still has the stock carb, it will be a Rochester Quadrajet. They have a small fuel filter inside the fuel inlet fitting to the carb. Hold the inlet fitting with a wrench, then loosen the fuel line. If you just crank on the line, it will twist up like crazy. Don't lose the gasket between the carb body and the inlet fitting, and don't cross thread the fitting putting it back. And NO thread tape on the threads of the inlet- EVER. Carbs are a relic of the past, and prices are out of sight to replace one.

Comment

Had a 71 lamans wouldn't run over 45 mph . Blew air from the fuel pump
                    line back to the tank . must have had a screen on the fuel line cause I never had any more trouble after that

Comment

Thanks fellas for the good advice

Comment

Start with fuel filter, then pump would be my plan of attack

You can disconnect fuel line from carb and run it into empty bottle. Turn it over a few times and if carb is getting gas to it there will be fuel in the bottle

Comment

Originally posted by Olmandan View Post
                          First, remove the air filter assembly. Check to make sure that the accelerator pump puts a shot of gas out when you open the throttle. If it does, you are either flooded out with too much fuel, or it's a spark issue. No accelerator pump shot, it's a fuel supply issue. If it still has the stock carb, it will be a Rochester Quadrajet. They have a small fuel filter inside the fuel inlet fitting to the carb. Hold the inlet fitting with a wrench, then loosen the fuel line. If you just crank on the line, it will twist up like crazy. Don't lose the gasket between the carb body and the inlet fitting, and don't cross thread the fitting putting it back. And NO thread tape on the threads of the inlet- EVER. Carbs are a relic of the past, and prices are out of sight to replace one.
                          I enjoyed just reading this. That little screen filter in the inlet have shut a many of them down. I’ve twisted more than one of those fuel lines hooking it back up. I’ll always have a life long love for the square bodies. I sure miss all the nice ones I have sold.

Comment

Couple of things to check. As mentioned, if it has a Quadrajet check the inlet filter at the carb. Make sure it is clean.

2nd if it has the dual tanks, the selector valves get stuck sometimes. Quick check/fix bypass with fuel hose to the known good tank.

Comment

Do you have the timing correct? My brother had the same issue in his distributor cap was turned the wrong way by 180 degrees. So, if everything else doesn't work that has been suggested, I would look there. His was exactly the same as you are describing and he replaced all of the same things that you did.

Comment

Working...
                              X