What to wear as a pallbearer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to wear as a pallbearer

Im sure this is a weird question but I got that phone call today. I am only 19 and have never done this before so I am not sure what to wear. I would assume a suit and nice black shoes/boots? I feel like I owe it to the family to be as dressed as nice as I can.

Dress like you're going to church.

Comment

That's tough.. I've been suited out and in jeans and a dress shirt. Try to reach out to the others doing it.. They're all different

Comment

I would get in contact with one of the others. A few of the ones I have been asked to do, we were dressed similar. If not, dressing like you are going to church would be a good choice.

Comment

Dark suit, white shirt, non-flashy tie...if you own that. Otherwise, dress up as much as you can to pay respect

Comment

Really just depends, I would wear nice pressed jeans, button up long sleeve shirt, and then a western style jacket maybe a bolo. If you show up and every one is in suits leave the jacket on, if they are in just button ups then leave jacket in truck.

Comment

If you know the other pallbearers talk and see what the plan is.

I've seen the full suit deal at some. My Uncle's funeral we wore starched white shirts and jeans with a yellow tie, then at least minute they decided to ditch the ties. My dad and me were the only two wearing cowboy hats of the 7 of us but like my Aunt said we'd look out of place without them.

Comment

I know the other pall bearers fairly well. I will have to talk to them. They are a very religious family but also a small town farming family so I am not sure. I just dont want to screw anything up

Comment

Suit for sure if you have one

Comment

You'll do fine. Just be sure to thank the family for the honor of being a pallbearer. There's no greater honor than being able to carry a friend/loved one to their final resting place

Comment

I would ask what the others are wearing, but I've always worn a black suit in the past.

Comment

Full suit

Comment

Done it too many times. First one was when I was 14, uncle's funeral and dad (his brother) was having knee problems so I was asked to take his place. Cowboy funeral with starched jeans and dark western shirt. Most every other time, I've worn a dark suit, coat depends on others, with a white shirt, black tie. My grandfather's funeral, we all wore matching t-shirts over starched jeans and our (polished) work boots. He was a worker to the end and we carried on his legacy.
                          Ask the other bearers and above all else be humble. Very few honors match being trusted to carry someone to their final resting place.

Thank the family for trusting you with such a responsibility. And stand by them until everyone else has left, until they are ready to leave. That means more than you will understand. They will lean on you for support and your strength will help them let go.
                          Condolences for the loss and be brave for those around you.

Comment

I've always did the full suit.

Comment

I guess it just depends on how the other pallbearers will be wearing. I've done it several times. I was in a suit and tie each time except for the one time, when I was still on active duty in the Marine Corps, I was in my dress blues. But, that one was for my grandfather who was a veteran and I was also asked to present a an American flag to my grandmother. I've seen it done in nice boots, pressed jeans and button up shirt w/ blazer.

Comment

Working...
                              X