adventure racing, anybody done one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adventure racing, anybody done one?

I was looking at doing an obstacle race later this year, like the tough mudder in November, and came across a few websites on adventure racing...has anyone ever done one?

its a mountain bike ride, a hike/trail run, and a kayak/canoe trip, you can choose the difficulty on most of them which includes longer distances and/or fewer points plotted on your map and more "clues" or challenges to figure it out.

there is one in September, http://toocoolracing.com/spread-your...ay-22-25-2020/

I never went that direction. But got close to doing off-road Triahtlons. Just did a LOT of road triahtlons. Did do some triathlons that had an off road run. And worked out with some folks who did a lot adventure racing/team racing. Used to be a regular one at Cedar Hills state park at Joe Poole Lake every year.

Comment

yeah the off road triathlon is more appealing to me than a regular "on road" one. I just want to hear some reviews on the org first. a few years ago I signed up for an obstacle race without really researching them and it was not difficult and the obstacles sucked, now I have a better idea of which ones are legit.

Comment

Most of the original adventure races consisted of a team and was scored when all team members finished each leg/event of the race/finish line. There was usually a run, orienteering, kayaking, and mnt biking. You could help your team member finish. That was what it was all about, team performance. Then, it began to grow and expand in types of events. Then came the world races. And finally, around the world race. That's when it caught on, on TV on some show. Followed by the Mudder racing as local folks could finish one, much like a super-sprint Tri.

Adventure Racing used to be legit! All the way into Pro categories, just like Triathlon/USAT.

Comment

man I am just looking for one of the 6 or8 hour ones, but it sounds like a blast

Comment

I only ride stuff with a throttle. lol

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
              I only ride stuff with a throttle. lol
              I am a fat boy at heart, gotta stay active haha

Comment

We were at Camp Eagle the year of Memorial Day floods for the adventure race. Let me tell you, those guys/gals are bad arses!

Get some orienteering classes under your belt and practice, practice, practice. Compass and map reading is what won and lost the event. Having one partner that knows that and one partner that can count steps while out of breath.

Comment

Working...
                X