Buying mountain land for a cabin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying mountain land for a cabin?

I’ve always thought it would cool to have a cabin somewhere out in the mountains where you could vacation or have a base for hunting, fishing, skiing trips. I think I’ve found a good area in Wyoming that is surrounded by all the public land you could want and great trout fishing. I’m looking at a particular lot that is off a county maintained road with year around access and been given a quote on setting up power there. What I’m really unsure about is building on the slope of the land. People immediately nearby have switchback driveways and home pads that have been leveled off. How expensive does that get to do? What are some other things I should be thinking about before I were to proceed on buying something like this? Anyone done anything similar and regretted it?

I had friends purchase in Jasper, Arkansas. Ozark mountain surrounding.

Comment

Our cabin in the Adirondacks has a switchback type driveway. One of the considerations is what you will be driving / pulling up it. We can make the turns with our 26' RV, but not with much longer. Any trailer would have to be a short one to make it around the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
        Our cabin in the Adirondacks has a switchback type driveway. One of the considerations is what you will be driving / pulling up it. We can make the turns with our 26' RV, but not with much longer. Any trailer would have to be a short one to make it around the corners.
        I see thanks.

Comment

Make sure you can get access to it. There are states that allow land sales and do not require the seller to provide access or easement to the land. So to get access you have to balloon, helicopter, fly, parachute or buy access from someone or someone's around you.
          Last edited by Matt_C; 05-12-2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
            Anyone done anything similar and regretted it?
            I've gotten close many times. Our big hang up is if we are vacationing, we don't want to go to the same place every time. And to buy a small property surrounded by mountains just for hunting is silly.

If you are the type that loves going to the same area, you are good to go.

One thing with Wyoming, I would declare myself a resident so I could hunt wilderness. So setting up a home would be a really good idea.

Comment

You can’t just “declare” yourself a resident in Wyoming, you actually have to be one. Look that up on the Wyo G&F website.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                You can’t just “declare” yourself a resident in Wyoming, you actually have to be one. Look that up on the Wyo G&F website.

Comment

Correct, you don't cross the border into Wyoming and shout "I declare myself a resident of Wyoming". It's on OP to research his situation. But for OP's sake, it's an potentially an option.
                  Last edited by WItoTX; 05-12-2020, 11:33 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Just do it. If you don't 10 years from now you will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      I've gotten close many times. Our big hang up is if we are vacationing, we don't want to go to the same place every time. And to buy a small property surrounded by mountains just for hunting is silly.

If you are the type that loves going to the same area, you are good to go.

One thing with Wyoming, I would declare myself a resident so I could hunt wilderness. So setting up a home would be a really good idea.
                      Definitely thought about that too. No state tax like Texas and draw odds would be awesome. It would have to be when I’m older and can spend more than just a few weeks a year out there

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                        Just do it. If you don't 10 years from now you will regret it.
                        I think you’re right

Comment

Where are you looking ? I might have some insight on weather etc.
                          Make sure that lots gives you access to that public land if it is landlocked. If it is readily accessible, look into the draw odds and PP required to obtain tags to hunt it or near it.
                          Winters are hard on everything up here, a cabin left unattended will need some things repaired every spring or summer. Bears nearby? They cam do big damage if they get inside.
                          One good thing, crime rates are not terrible up here for things like burglaries and such except near the large towns.

For residency you must physically reside here for 1 year without claiming residency in another state during that time.
                          No need to hunt wilderness areas anyway, I see and agree with the ridiculousness of the NR wilderness law but in 33 years I have never hunted a wilderness area. You don't need access to them for good hunting, most are hunted hard by residents and guided hunters.

Comment

I’m looking at the Dubois area

Comment

I have an aunt putting a cabin on the market near Angel Fire.
                              My understanding is she has state land near it.

Comment

Working...
                              X